Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Worrying News..

• 19-11-2005 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

From http://www.prowrestling.com/news.php?id=15965/articles/news:
    Source: PWTorch Newsletter (Subscription available www.pwtorch.com)

-- In the latest PWTorch newsletter, editor Wade Keller states quite bluntly that there is apparently a top wrestler wrestling in the WWE today who's considered to be on an "unofficial death watch". He doesn't go on to further elaborate on who this wrestler is, but he does go on to mention how people need to do what it takes to keep him alive, even at the "expense of box office receipts, storyline interruptions" and more.

-- The deathwatch, which is apparently no secret to most within WWE, is still possibly unknown to Vince McMahon, who would need to be informed. The un-named wrestler, should he pass away, would make the coverage of the shocking and tragic news this week of the passing of Eddie Guerrero look minor by comparison, due to his credentials.

I find that kinda disturbing..I don't want to speculate, but if the death of this wrestler would make Eddie's death seem minor.... I only consider two guys in WWE to be better wrestlers than Eddie, and with better "credentials"

Really puts some meat onto Test's comments

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

yea i read that yesterday and was shocked when i read it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

The name that gm1984 mentioned was the first name that entered my mind when i read that story about three days ago. I can't think of any other wrestler with such "credentials" that his death would result in enough mainstream media coverage to make Eddie's passing seem minor in comparison.

Its no secret that the mentioned wrestler has serious health issues and has had a number of surgeries and probably shouldn't be able to wrestle at such a high standard, if at all. I read in an artical that WWE used to ask if ex-wife about his condition if they thought something wasnt right due to the fact when he was asked, he would always reply that he was fine even if he was far from being that. While I hope none of this is true, I cant help but fear the worst.

Please God, something will be done by WWE to help this person whoever it is. Forget the Box-office stuff: this is a matter of life and death here! WWE really needs to do more to protect the welfare of its stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Man this is some really unwanted news during what is a very difficult time for anyone wheter it be a fan, employee or an observer of WWE. Kurt Angle is the name that stands out but I have my own thoughts as to who it could be and my initial gut feeling was it may be Cena. Currently very popular in the States with WWE his music and possible crossover into Holiday it might be possible that he is struggling to cope. Angle is still more probable due to his previously mentioned personal problems though I'm not sure if I see it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

They should think about getting some sort of health checks in regularly for the wrestlers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The name that gm1984 mentioned was the first name that entered my mind when i read that story about three days ago. I can't think of any other wrestler with such "credentials" that his death would result in enough mainstream media coverage to make Eddie's passing seem minor in comparison.

exactly what i was thinking too. makes you wonder how much these guys love to wrestle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Having seen Kurt Angle at The Point, he looks really different to the Kurt Angle that debuted years ago.

I think regular health checks for the wrestlers is needed a.s.a.p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

You do realise that practically every wrestler alive would fail a health check?

I do realise that Kurt isn't in the best of health, but I wouldn't imagine he'd be put on a "death watch". He doesn't have full feeling in his arms, but that could be sorted out with some surgery, hardly life threatening. Apart from that sort of wear and tear, he'd be one of the fittest guys in the company

I was just thinking there that the "credentials" may mean current ones, which would make a serious impact in the mainstream media. And there is one guy who comes to mind that doesn't seem to be the fittest guy around. I really don't want to speculate though, it might be made out to be more serious than it actually is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Two names spring to mind. First one was like what ye all thought, Kurt Angle. Second one was Ric Flair. It's awful shocking really

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

I assumed that Angle has had a long term problem with prescribed painkillers because unfortunately since he came back from his surgery he has displayed the physical indications. If I can see this on tv why can't the genius that is McMahon? But don't all wrestlers have to believe they're invincible to be able to do this? They won't be beaten by injury, illness, addiction etc or so the myth says no matter how often it's proved to be very much a lie.
    If there is any justice at all than Eddie's death will wise some of them up.

• Advertisement

I assumed that Angle has had a long term problem with prescribed painkillers because unfortunately since he came back from his surgery he has displayed the physical indications

Theres no way he could possible be able to wrestle WITHOUT painkillers given his condition. Its clear that Angle is prepared to wrestle while on pain masking drugs given the fact that he did so at the Olympics in 1996 (he talks about that in his book).

In spite of the fact that he's one of my all time favourites, I really think the guy needs to retire. He is risking so much by continuing- anyone else would have packed it in. Even Austin only does the occassional stunner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

of course this "unofficial death watch" business could be a load of crap.

Cactus Col wrote:
    of course this "unofficial death watch" business could be a load of crap.

It could be, but the issues we are all talking about still exist even if it is. I presume you read what TEST wrote: shocking stuff altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It's Kurt.

Plain and simple.

He was told after his neck surgery that he should not go back.

Remember, Kurts surgery was experimental, it has NEVER been done before and apparently was not the sucess it should have been. Not the avenue of repair is closed, the Lumbar is fused and nothing more can be done.

Man, this **** has gotta stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

my initial gut feeling was it may be Cena.

If Cena's on "Death Watch" at 28, he's doing all the wrong things in life.
    Very Doubtful.

I would sincerly doubt Cena, the only thing he has every really done is part in college and Bodybuilding as an amateur natural, with I NABBA i believe.

NABBA test all their athletes for each show, so i would believe the natural part. Also Cena does not tan, unlike many others, and his skin appears to be very healthy.

And steroid or rec drug issues normally show on the skin first.

Cena seems healthy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Dragan wrote:
    It's Kurt.

Plain and simple.

He was told after his neck surgery that he should not go back.

Remember, Kurts surgery was experimental, it has NEVER been done before and apparently was not the sucess it should have been. Not the avenue of repair is closed, the Lumbar is fused and nothing more can be done.

Man, this **** has gotta stop.

I don't think his surgery went how you think, I remember an interview with Kurt about 3 or 4 months ago stating that he got full medical clearance to return to wrestling full time. He said Vince was reluctant to give him another title run because of his health, but since he's been fully cleared we've seen for ourselves the current push he's on, i.e more than likely going over Cena at Survivor Series. Which would imply to me that its not Kurt, although a lot can happen in 3 or 4 months.

Jesus, I just hope that whoever it may be, they are pulled off the active roster immediately, no storyline or ppv mainevent is worth more than the safety of those guys.

Actually, the fact the Kurt is getting a a push against Cena would seem to validate my point. Cena is not known for his German's or neck breakers, so by putting Kurt in the ring requires no change of tack!

As for Kurt sayinghe was cleared. He was cleared by whatever doctor he was seeing, but not cleared for further Olympic compeition ( as far as i am aware ).

And Vince, don't get me started on that scum bag!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It could be, but the issues we are all talking about still exist even if it is. I presume you read what TEST wrote: shocking stuff altogether!

What did TEST write?

I must've missed that one.

kearnsr wrote:
    What did TEST write?

The stuff TEST wrote is in the following link. The most shocking part is when he says that he heard a conversation about an unnamed wrestler who needed to go to rehad but was too important to the show for them to send him!

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/2005_/articles/1131987185.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

It wouldnt be Cena, it wouldnt be Angle

Look at wrestlers who are possibly using steroids, look at wrestlers who look too good to be true (as Mick Foley would say)

The chances of Angle or Cena on death watch are remote - the changes of any wrestler on steroids being on death watch are hugely increased, when you realise that steroid abuse also weakens the heart and various other organs in the body

Think about it

Considering Angel put on 35 pounds of muscle upon joining the WWE, and also had some skin issues i think that hints at steroid abuse.

Also, steroid abuse has never been medically shown to have any direct effect on the heart, or at least non more so than normal enlargement that occurs in "over active" people.

The only organ that steroids pose any real threat to is the liver, and even then this is only really in extreme cases of Oral steroid abuse. Most modern day steroids are far easier on the liver, and most wrestlers would be in a position to inject there choosen roid ( which is seen as far safer as it leads to much less impact on the liver ) so i am quite certain that steroids would not be the reason at all.

The ailments and signs you seem to be placing emphasis on are more those caused by abuse of injectible insulin and human growth hormone, both of which would be minor in the world or wrestling, if not unheard of.

My advice is not to bring steroids into a conversation about a deathwatch simply because you believe it to be a dirty word. A small amount of research into these things would have revealed a lot.

*** Sorry if this post seems pretty harsh, it is not meant to be that way, just tired of seeing steroids blamed for every problem in sports these days , especially when very few people have a lot of knowledge on the subject ***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 FlightRisker

Hasn't Regal had a history of pretty bad illnesses?

What the wrestling industry needs is a worker's union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

Dragan wrote:
    My advice is not to bring steroids into a conversation about a deathwatch simply because you believe it to be a dirty word. A small amount of research into these things would have revealed a lot.

*** Sorry if this post seems pretty harsh, it is not meant to be that way, just tired of seeing steroids blamed for every problem in sports these days , especially when very few people have a lot of knowledge on the subject ***

Well luckily I have done my research in the past

http://www.health.org/govpubs/phd726/
    http://menshealth.about.com/cs/fitness/a/anab_steroids.htm
    http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/anabstereff/anabstereff.html
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0841/is_n5_v31/ai_18856510
    http://www.thesteroidtruth.com/sideeffectsa.htm

Sorry Phenom,

but i had a flick through all those links, most just point to bull**** rethoric ( The Steroid Truth ) one of them seemed to have a guy who knows what he is talking about and even he admitted that no studies have been done into long term effects of the vasvular system.

This is not the kind of crap the needs to be perpetuated. If you want to find some proper clinical studies about the effects of anabolic steroids or anything else for that matter i suggest you go to www.pubmed.com and not post up some a badly cobbled together google search.

As for the one from Sportsci, that is from 1998, 7 more years of reasearch have been done since then. and this is the only thing you posted that was backed by any sort of reasearch or had any references listed.

Do you even realise the advancements made in softening out the harshness of 17-alky over the last five years??? It's called Ester technology my friend.

And if steroids are so bad, how come they are used to treat cancer patients, those infected with HIV and brittle bones to name but three illnesses???

So sick people can take them but they will kill the healthy????

sorry my previous post should have been clearer - I am talking about steroid abuse - which does have a negative effect on the body

I kinda jumped the gun a little too I suppose, shouldn't gonna off like you were attacking safe steroid use like that.

I agree with you about some insane levels of AS usage out there, it's pretty crazy what some people will take, and i'm just talking about guys down the local gym!!!

Madness.

Dragan wrote:

I think you've got it wrong. The whole point of Kurt's surgery was that his vertebrae were NOT fused, like Austin's, Benoit's, Lita's, Edge's and plenty more. If any of them require more neck surgery, then that's it for them, their neck will be like one solid bone and dislocate a lot more easily

Kurt's surgery involved the removal of bone chips, and could be done safely a million times over, in theory. Tazz and Brooklyn Brawler (and some other guy I can't think of right now) have had the same surgery and it's gone perfect for them last I heard. Both have said it got rid of pain that they'd had for years

If Kurt's neck really is that bad that he needs painkillers all the time, I'm sure he'd have the cop on to just get some surgery instead of risking his life on painkillers

Regal could not be in that much trouble either, he was on a **** load of medication for his heart a year ago, which caused him to be unable to wrestle, as his blood was too thin. When he was cleared to come off the medication, he was cleared to wrestle. I'd say he's still on some sort of medication, but not to the extent that it would endanger him

Who knows, the guy might be Vince himself

• Advertisement

All of the surgeries invloed fusing, it was just the refusing of a lumbar, you could not fuse one lumbar to another and expect proper mobility, or even continued life, the way you seem to be implying.

The only experimental parts of Kurts surgery was that they went thoough the throat to get to the front part of the lumbar, as opposed to from the back and around like with Edge, in escence the same procedures were done.

Any "lose" chips would have been removed and whatever damage or slit was done would have been fused to solidify the lumbar again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cranbrook2

kurt angle said one time in a interview that there is a history of angina in his family.he has lost family members in their 30,s.

Dragan wrote:
    All of the surgeries invloed fusing

The experimental part was that it didn't involve fusing

Originally from WWE.com April 8th 2003: http://kurt-media.net/articles/DrJho.html
    "When you have fusion, it puts a lot of tension and stress on the other discs and vertebrae, and doing what we (WWE Superstars) do, you're going to have them fused eventually," he said. "You have the surgery, eventually you're going to have another fusion, and then another. And eventually, your neck is going to be one big bone."
    "I have a degenerated discs," he said. "There's no doubt about it. Eventually, down the road, when I'm retired -- which I'm not planning on for the next six or seven years -- I'm going to have to have some kind of surgery (like) artificial discs, fusion or maybe there's a new method.

"I can have fusion when I retire from wrestling. At that point, I'm not going to be jarring, slamming and bumping around. Right now, what I need is, I need my neck repaired."

As you can read from the man himself, he didn't get his neck fused

The surgeries the other guys got did involve the fusing of one vertebrae to another, like welding them together. It takes months for the bones to grow together completely, which is why the recovery time is so long

That is true about Kurt's family history with angina. He's done campaigns for the promotion of awareness of it. Another reason why I would be doubtful to believe that Kurt is the subject of this report

Advertisement