Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargaintown

Options
  • 19-11-2005 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

A number of months ago Bargaintown had a deal on a bedroom furniture.Its was called the Nova,it was €199 and you got a nice wardrobe,chest of drawers,bedside locker all flatpack(oh the joy).The daughter wanted this.So 2 months ago they went of of stock and expected them back in soon.

So I rang them other day and hey presto they had them,I went to Atm took out €200 and went to get one.I was gobsmacked to see that they had them for €249 now????

So I asked nice bloke behind counter why the sudden jump? He went a bit red faced and said " I dont Know". I had to get one as my daughter needs one.So I paid the money,but it fecking killed me.So I rang around a few places to ask why the jump up in price(personally I think they knew it was a good seller and its coming up to christmas), Well got off the phone to one fella and he said the gaffer put up price,I said why,"dont know he said".I then said to him I have been looking for one of these for ages now and he said well if you drop up to me I'll let you have it for €199:eek:

I was sick,so rang manager where I got mine and I told him what happened his reply was "Well go up to the other bargaintown and get your wardrobe set" I said "Well I'll drop back yours back and get a refund and get same one in other place"....He asked who was I talking to etc so he said he would ring me back and said "No problem to give me my €50 refund back"....

Its mad all the same,I think I was lucky.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

madness is right but it just goes to show what a little pressure causes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Why was it so mad ? At the time it was a deal, not the normal retail price and those sort of deals usually only go on "while stocks last".

Move along folks, no rip-off here....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Jip wrote:
    Why was it so mad ? At the time it was a deal, not the normal retail price and those sort of deals usually only go on "while stocks last".

Move along folks, no rip-off here....
    i refer to that when put under a little pressure they gave in i acknowledge that when a price goes up it does due to many reason stocks of promotional lines finished,period of offer over etc now the pressure thing is not going to work everytime depending on who answers the phone really but u do have to admit where there is a will there is a way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Something similar I noticed in Champion sports. Set of Golf Clubs advertised as being €300 and reduced to €99. That was 2 weeks ago. Price has gone up to €125. If you price do keep an eye on prices, you'll notice a lot of this over the next few weeks. Retailers will reduce price to encourage sales in slack periods and then bring them up again in a busy season to balance out their overall margin on that product

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mr Snrub

Come on now, if retailers can't change their price without informing some bureaucratic central agency, where the hell would we be? Everyone would jack up their prices, that's where we'd be!

This is not a rip-off. This is just the market. If you don't haggle, you won't get a bargain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement