Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lee Trundle

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

You mightnt want to debate it, But its a very important factor when deciding who should and shouldnt be called up.

Only reason I don't want to debate it is because I've done it soooo many times before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

give the guy a chance in a friendly game and if he doesn't cut it well then at least we can say we gave him a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

All over papers today that Everton are going to bid for him in Jan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Big Nelly wrote:

Heard that a while back too and also that wigan were having a look. Then we sould end the debate about the standard he is playing at and we could finally put him in the squad at least and let the new gaffer have a look at him in training even

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Kingp35 wrote:
    I have been saying for ages now that Trundle should be called up.

Lads I actually found the thread that I originally posted about Lee Trundle now that search is back. I posted it in February 2004 and look at how many people disagreed with me then and have now changed there tune! It shows how long I have been a fan of his.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143894

Kingp35 wrote:
    Lads I actually found the thread that I originally posted about Lee Trundle now that search is back. I posted it in February 2004 and look at how many people disagreed with me then and have now changed there tune! It shows how long I have been a fan of his.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143894

Woah mate! Your head... its gonna explode! ;):p

Only kidding, fair play to ye.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Woah mate! Your head... its gonna explode! ;):p

Only kidding, fair play to ye.

No I wasnt boasting I was just pointing out how some people didnt like him back then and in my opinion he should have been given a shot a long time ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Kingp35 wrote:
    No I wasnt boasting I was just pointing out how some people didnt like him back then and in my opinion he should have been given a shot a long time ago

Sounds like boasting to me. ;)

Please tell me you're not gonna dig this thread up in a years time when I've also changed my tune about him.

I'm the same as you Kingp35 with things like this, which is why I rant about Wes Hoolahan at every available opportunity.

Has anyone seen this Wes Hoolahan guy for Shels? A great talent! :p

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:
    Sounds like boasting to me. ;)

Please tell me you're not gonna dig this thread up in a years time when I've also changed my tune about him.

I may just do that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Big Nelly wrote:
    Isnt he a huge Everton fan?
    He was seen at Goodison Park at the weekends game, and the journos have spread the rumour.
    With Beattie still in dire form, perhaps it'd be worth a gamble!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/01/17/story240131.html
    17/01/2006 - 16:09:04

Swansea striker Lee Trundle has pleaded with new Republic of Ireland boss Steve Staunton to hand him a starring role in the remodelled national team.

Since joining Swansea in July 2003, Trundle’s goals have fuelled the club’s revival and he has frequently championed his own case for a Republic cap.

Previous manager Brian Kerr ignored him but Staunton’s appointment has handed the 29-year-old a fresh opportunity to stake his claims.

Trundle qualifies for the Republic through his grandfather and saw his chances apparently boosted over the weekend after Staunton hailed him “a natural goalscorer” in an interview.

The Liverpool-born striker could earn a call-up for the Republic’s first game under Staunton –a friendly against Sweden at Lansdowne Road on March 1.

Trundle said: “I was made up when I read what Steve said about me and hopefully the dream will come true at last.

“Steve made reference to John Aldridge being a late starter on the international stage and hopefully I can make a similar impact.

“I’ve always said that I’ve got the ability to play at the highest level and playing for Ireland would be the next step up.

“I’ve scored goals at every level I’ve played and feel the international stage would perhaps suit me better because the better players have more time on the ball.

“I just want the chance to show what I can do and hopefully Steve will give me the call for the friendly against Sweden.”

Trundle, who is currently nursing an ankle knock, is poised to sign a new long-term deal at Swansea this week, ending speculation about his future.

His 17 goals this season have helped Kenny Jackett’s side to a sustained bid for successive promotions.

They have also attracted admiring glances from several managers in the Coca-Cola Championship, with Sheffield Wednesday having a £750,000 bid turned down last year.

Trundle is confident his status as a League One striker will not prove detrimental to his international prospects, as was the case under Kerr.

He said: “In interviews it has sometimes sounded as though I’m bitter and twisted about not getting a call-up from Brian but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

“I understood why Brian didn’t pick me. He was under a lot of pressure and had to go with players who were already established within the set-up.

“But hopefully it’s going to be a lot different with Steve.

“He’s got the chance to give players a go in friendlies and he knows himself what talent there is in the lower leagues.

“He’s been playing at Walsall in League One and knows what I’m all about.”

Trundle dismissed out of hand the cynical view that he is using his ancestry to forge an international career.

He said: “My grandad is from Inchicore in Dublin and ever since I was a young lad I’ve had my heart set on playing for the Republic.

“He’s dead now but he would be so proud to see me playing for his country.

“I’ve got an Irish heart; my mum’s husband is Irish and I’m over there all the time because I’ve so many family and a lot of close links there.

“I think the last person to question my desire to play for Ireland is Steve Staunton himself.

“If you remember the success of the Ireland team that he played in then it says it all.

“You had the likes of Ray Houghton, Andy Townsend and John Aldridge.

“None of these lads were from Ireland but, like me, they all had Irish blood in them and strong family links. Hopefully I can achieve something similar.”

Dub13 wrote:
    “You had the likes of Ray Houghton, Andy Townsend and John Aldridge.”

No mention of Cascarino, what??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Pfft, everyone knows cascarino was 100% irish, he just had an unfortunate accent ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Oh the old recruitment campaign , Drink guinness makes you irish :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement