Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds

• 19-11-2005 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭

just giving a mention to leeds, 3-0 down, now 4-3 up miller getting the one to put them in front - id say thats an amazing feeling for any leeds fans out there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

just giving a mention to leeds, 3-0 down, now 4-3 up miller getting the one to put them in front - id say thats an amazing feeling for any leeds fans out there

Kingp35 will be thrilled. Fair play to Liam Miller for grabbing the winner in only his second game at the club :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Feckin' amazing result! I'd given that game up for dead at half time. WooHoo!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Credit where credit is due, well done Leeds plus Liam Miller got a goal.

Reading the BBC chat boards - apparently the fans were amazing. Out-sang the home crowd for the full 90 minutes. Hopefully bigger crowds will start to come back to Elland Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Makes you wonder why Healy didn't start.

• Advertisement

He's been carrying an ankle injury for the last few weeks and Blackwell has rested him as much as possible to let it heal. Consequently he's not 100% match fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

super result. can't remember the last time leeds came from 3-0 down like that. And away from home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

id say thats an amazing feeling for any leeds fans out there

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction... :mad: :( :eek: :confused:

A Southampton fan? Never come across one of them before, and in my neck of the woods too.

Yep, Saints fan this last 12 years.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054848482

Fair play Leeds and all that, an amazing comeback, but what a crowd of bottlers my lot are.

• Advertisement

Well if it makes you feel any better, my lot will probably bottle the next one, just as they have tended to do for the 30-odd years I've been supporting them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

What a game and what a result. I can tell you one thing I was in such a bad mood at 4 o' clock today it wasnt right. We were absolutley awful from the start and I had no reason for it. Southampton were by far the better team and mabe a 3 goal lead was slightly flattering but then again I wouldnt have begrudged them it.

Then came the 71st minute when Butler got a goal back. I thought a consolation goal. Then Robbie Blake got another one after 77 minutes and my spirits were lifted again. When David HEaly scored that penalty in the 84th minute I couldnt believe it. But I was on cloud nine when Liam Miller hit the winner in the 86th minute. We had scored 4 goals in 15 mins against a team that hadnt lost at home all season. I am absolutly delighted with the result and what a turnaround it was. Fair play to Miller for scoring the winner and he did well throughout the game. It shows some serious character and team spirit to be able to come back from 3 goals down with 20 mins to go and win the game. We have a team at Leeds now who want to play for the club and will give their all for it.What a change fro the team that relegated.

I couldnt be happier right now. what a game of football :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Kingp35 wrote:
    What a game and what a result. I can tell you one thing I was in such a bad mood at 4 o' clock today it wasnt right. We were absolutley awful from the start and I had no reason for it. Southampton were by far the better team and mabe a 3 goal lead was slightly flattering but then again I wouldnt have begrudged them it.

Then came the 71st minute when Butler got a goal back. I thought a consolation goal. Then Robbie Blake got another one after 77 minutes and my spirits were lifted again. When David HEaly scored that penalty in the 84th minute I couldnt believe it. But I was on cloud nine when Liam Miller hit the winner in the 86th minute. We had scored 4 goals in 15 mins against a team that hadnt lost at home all season. I am absolutly delighted with the result and what a turnaround it was. Fair play to Miller for scoring the winner and he did well throughout the game. It shows some serious character and team spirit to be able to come back from 3 goals down with 20 mins to go and win the game. We have a team at Leeds now who want to play for the club and will give their all for it.What a change fro the team that relegated.

I couldnt be happier right now. what a game of football :D

Sounds like a thriller and I was pleased to see Liam Miller get the winner after all the criticism he's got. Hopefully the Leeds' fans will take to him better than United's now.

One things for sure though, Big Harry won't be a happy man. I wouldn't like to have been in that dressing room afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

Hi guys,

I heard the half-time scores on TodayFM and couldn't have been more depressed. But with the team they have at the minute, they have the hunger and desire to dig deep and pull the result their direction. It is a great change to the players (although not brought around by themselves) failed to do two seasons ago. Fair play to Kevin Blackwell he has shown what a great man manager with the tactical ability to turn games around he is. It is a credit to the spirit he instills in the players.

Over the last four league games before the Southampton game, the good draws against Sheff United and Reading were over-shadowed by the defeat to Blackburn (cup) and Crewe and the draw with Preston. Leaving us with just 3 points from a possible 12 league points. It had seen us slide alot, but great result to put us back in with a great chance of staying in the playoffs. At this point it is very hard to see Sheff United and Reading slipping up.

Regards

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Final Score Leeds 2-0 Burnley

Good result for us. Burnley perhaps just shaded the first off although we had the best chance with Kilgallon hitting the crossbar when maybe he should have scored. Burnley had 7 corners in the first half but they never really threatened Neil Sullivans goal too much.

We improved an awful lot in the second half and a David Healy penalty put us 1-0 up after 55 mins. The goalkeeper was very unlucky as it wasnt one of Healys better penalties bt it went in and thats all that counts. From then on we bossed the game and Liam Miller looked lively in the centre. Robbie Blake was having a great game, perhaps his best in a Leeds shirt and it was crowned off with a wondefully struck free kick to put us 2-0 up. From then on we passed the ball around and it looked reasonably easy.

Great result for us tonight especially with both Watford and Sheffield Utd drawing tonight.

Im a happy man :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nice to see Uniteds feeder club doing well.;)

The Muppet wrote:
    Nice to see Uniteds feeder club doing well.;)

talk of them lot is not aloud on this thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Kingp35 wrote:
    talk of them lot is not aloud on this thread :D

Fair enough

It is good to see Leeds doing well after a lot of turmoil it looks like they have a decent manager in place to start rebuilding them. They are a massive club and I would love to see them back in premiership where they belong. What sort of gates are they getting?

Gates ae down alot this season because Ken Bates put ticket prices up by 25% this season and fans are staying away out of protest so we only get an average of abut 21,000 whereas last season we had an average of over 30,000.

Gates are steadily improving though as the season goes on but the prices of tickets are keeping many fans away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

From today's independent:

LEEDS UNITED believe that Liam Miller is already making his mark at Elland Road after just two games.

The 24-year-old scored his first goal for the club on Saturday when he grabbed the winner in a dramatic comeback against Southampton.

Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell, who snapped up Miller on loan from Manchester United, believes there is more to come from the Irish international midfielder.

"Liam has got a point to prove at Old Trafford, and I said to him come here and prove it and we will get the benefit of it," said Blackwell.

"We are asking him now to be a lot more forward thinking and get in the box. His finish was of some quality and we can see signs that there's more to come. It's all about confidence with Liam, he was out of the pecking order at Old Trafford and there's nothing like playing games to give players confidence.

"He's come in and needs to get used to pace of the Championship, you will get closed down quicker and not have as much time on the ball like the Premiership, it's also much more physical, so once he does that he will be okay," said Blackwell.

• Advertisement

Well I must admit that he has done reasonably well since coming into the side. He has offered us a little bit more creativity in the side and can pass the ball around which is what we were missing. He still doesnt do enough donkey work in that he doesnt tackle well and sometimes leaves space through the middle. he has been caught out a few times at that. Shaun Derry has too much work to do sometimes in a defensive side of things. Other than that he has done quite well and after his goal on Saturday I think he might be the only Manchester United player Leeds fans will ever like

Kingp35 wrote:
    after his goal on Saturday I think he might be the only Manchester United player Leeds fans will ever like

Well apart from Johnny Giles and Gordon Strachan!

Are you getting to see the Leeds games Kingp, and if so, where? You always seem to have much more info on the players' performances than anything I read in the papers.

Ah I meant current Man U players Zaph :p

No I dont get to see the full games but I listen to all the matches on the radio and the phone in show with Eddie Gray afterwards plus I get the match highlights and watch them. Get LUTV Zaph its well worth it.

Sounds good, must sign up for it. Cheaper than Sky Sports too!

Yeh I have Saints TV, same craic but for Southampton. Great idea, good value too.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yeh I have Saints TV, same craic but for Southampton. Great idea, good value too.

Yeah I think the clip thats on LUTV of the Leeds Southampton match is the one from Saints TV. Do they always put dodgy music to their highlights on Saints TV MrJoeSoap? Prefer to be able to hear the crowd

Its usually just the crowd for our ones too, this was the first time I'd heard music.

Yes!! David Healy with an injury time goal has won it for Leeds!! We deservd it because we were on top from the start and hit the woodwork twice and had numerous chances to score. I didnt think we were going to do it but Healy pops up and did what he does best and scored a goal.

Thats 3 wins in a row now for Leeds and with Sheffield Utd losing again today thats another 3 points we have caught up on them and thats a total of 7 points we have caught up in one week and we still have a game in hand. Im a very happy man.

On a sad note a couple of Leeds fans disrespected the minute silence for George Best. Absolute tossers those guys are and Leeds fans everywhere are disgusted at their actions. Hopefully they can be identified and shamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

leeds are on a good run alright - and they seem to have got luck back on their side too - something which is important in football......

on the other note there was a few at the man city - v - liverpool game too, bad to see, and as you said hopefully they can be named and shamed

• Advertisement

Leeds United have issued an official appology over the treatment of the minute silence for George Best on Saturday. The club will be looking into the incident in conjunction with Millwall to identify those responsible

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/sport/football/manchesterunited/s/189/189231_leeds_apologise_for_marred_tribute.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was Miller playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

leeds are hitting form at the minute i just hope for their sake that they aren't peaking too early

Big Nelly wrote:
    Was Miller playing?

Yeah he was. I only caught the second half of the game so cant tell you how he did overall but he seemed to be doing ok in the second half. Shaun Derry went off injured after 38 minutes so Jonothan Douglas came on for him giving us two Irish lads playing in the centre and both did well enough. Douglas was very unlucky not to score and Miller was passing the ball well. He still frustrates the hell out of me because he doesnt tackle and allows players to beat him very easily. He needs to sort that out and he will be ok.
    mchurl wrote:
    leeds are hitting form at the minute i just hope for their sake that they aren't peaking too early

I expect us to be better after Christmas than we are at the moment. We still have Steve STone and Cresswell to come back from injuries and the new players are beginning to gel together well now.If we are ther or there abouts come January I expect us to mount a serious challenge

Least he is getting his game....needs to be playing because at Celtic he was only starting to nail down a first team slot when he moved....never really has had a sustained first team starter!! the tackling thing will prob come with experience!! but it might not....look at Scholes...he still hasnt a clue how to tackle......any chance that Leeds will buy him in Jan??

Big Nelly wrote:
    any chance that Leeds will buy him in Jan??

If he continues to improve then I think that Blackwell might make a move because its well known fact that we are in need of a central midfielder and Blackwell has said he is definitely bringing one in in Jan. Im not entirely sure if he has someone in mind all ready but there have been a few names said with Andy Reid being one of them.

The thing is though I think Liam Miller only sees Leeds as a club where he can prove himself to Alex Ferguson that he has something offer Man Utd. HE actually angered some Leeds fans when during the press conference after he signed he actually said that he was using the time at Leeds to prove a point to Ferguson and to go back and get his place. If Ferguson tells him thta he is not in his plans, which tbh seems likely at this stage, then maybe someting can happen but Miller seems to think that he still has a chance at Man Utd. Maybe some of the Man Utd fans can answer if he will get any kind of a look in there and whether they would be willing to let him go.

• Advertisement

Not a Utd fan as you know but I cant see Fergerson wanting him back...there is talk of a clearout and bringing in new players and everyone seems to be saying new central midfielders so Miller has to get it into his head that if Fergie goes out and spends 6-10mil on a player then he will get the midfield slot beside Scholes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

can't say I'm particularly surprised by the booing by Leeds fans, they did the same when Sir Matt Busby died, I remember Strachan in the centre circle trying to quieten them.
    All the more reason to have a one minute applause than a minute silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

can't see miller having a future at utd so a move to leeds would be good for him. They are a big club and he will be playing first team football at a high level which can only help to improve him.

With regards to the minute's silence v minute's applause i'd agree that a minute's applause is a much better tribute.

can't say I'm particularly surprised by the booing by Leeds fans, they did the same when Sir Matt Busby died, I remember Strachan in the centre circle trying to quieten them.
    All the more reason to have a one minute applause than a minute silence.

Lets get carried away here. It was a very small number of idiots who did it. Sadly it happened at a few grounds araound the country. I agree that in some cases a minutes clapping would definitely be better.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Not a Utd fan as you know but I cant see Fergerson wanting him back...there is talk of a clearout and bringing in new players and everyone seems to be saying new central midfielders so Miller has to get it into his head that if Fergie goes out and spends 6-10mil on a player then he will get the midfield slot beside Scholes!!

This is getting out of hand but im going to have to agree with you again :D Its fairly well known that Man U want to sign a midfield player which will only push Miller even further down the reckoning. When a team decides to play a player out of position instead of playing you in your position then you know that you are not exactly rated highly. For some reason though Miller is determined to prove himself whcih is admirable but also a little stupid on his part. He will play at Leeds and will be able to prove himself again in a decent side which will in turn do his international hopes the world of good.

I would say that the ball is probably in Millers court and it depnds on what he decides.

http://www.clubcall.com/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,5034-169529-19728-36699-217916-13916-5024-layout104-186747-news-item,00.html

I would love to see him at Leeds. £1m seems like quite a bit of money however and I really cant see where Blackwell is going to raise the cash without selling players. Maybe the likes of Ricketts, Wright and Bakke will be on their way in January.

Koumas does seem to be enjoying his stay in Cardiff and considering he is Welsh as well then maybe he would like to stay with them. However I feel that Cardiff will struggle to meet the transfer demand and this could leave Leeds in pole position. Koumas has been brilliant all season and is a major factor in Cardiffs impressive season so far. He is exactly the player that Blackwell needs to solve the midfields current lack of creativity and guile.

• Advertisement

I saw a report that Bakke wanted to stay at Villa. What we'd get for him would easily cover the cost of Koumas.

Losing Bakke and gaining Koumas would be a great deal for Leeds. I rate Koumas very highly.

zaph wrote:
    I saw a report that Bakke wanted to stay at Villa. What we'd get for him would easily cover the cost of Koumas.

Yeah he has said that he wants to stay at Villa which tbh I was hoping for all along. He is a good player but he is still on very high wages and we could use the money we save on his wages, and gain in a transfer fee to bring others in. Koumas would be a perfect signing for us at the moment but we are bound to face stiff competition from Cardiff and I think that Koumas already stated a week or so ago that he would like to make his Cardiff deal permanent. I would imagine that was before our interest so maybe the lure of a big club will be enough to change his mind. As I already said as well I dont think Cardiff would be able to afford the transfer fee they would have to pay for him.

Jonothan Douglas has just scored his second goal in three games to put Leeds 1-0 up against Hull. It will be the thrid win on the bounce if Leeds can win and put some new hope into catching Sheffield Utd.

Douglas has been playing very well since getting back into the Leeds side and today is no exception. He was rated quite highly at one stage but never seemed to fulfill that at Blackburn. He certainly has been fulfilling it over the christmas period!!

Douglas scores again!! 2-0 to Leeds. Douglas for Ireland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Kingp35 wrote:
    He was rated quite highly at one stage but never seemed to fulfill that at Blackburn. He certainly has been fulfilling it over the christmas period!!

am a blackburn fan, always thought he was a good player, he showed flashes of it when he was given his chances - but i dont think he got enough of them, am glad to see him and leeds seem to be getting back on track!

Leeds United have signed one of the most lucrative and far-reaching sponsorship contracts in the club’s history.

Leading internet betting site Bet24 will be featured on the front of the club’s shirts next season, but the agreement goes far beyond a normal shirt sponsorship deal.
    Bet24 is 90 per cent owned by Modern Times Group and the agreement reached between United Chairman Ken Bates, Holger Kristiansen, the CEO of Bet24 and Jorgen Madsen, CEO of MTG Denmark, will go a long way towards regaining United’s international standing, with all the commercial and merchandising opportunities that entails.

The club and Bet24 have already worked closely on a number of successful promotions this season and the relationship has now been taken to a new level. This will involve the unrivalled weekly promotion of Leeds United in existing Leeds heartlands such as Scandinavia, but also throughout the Baltic States, Hungary and Russia.

MTG is an international media group with operations in more than 30 countries around the world and is the principal broadcasting business in these regions. It is the largest free-to-air and pay-TV operator in the Nordic and Baltic regions and the largest commercial radio operator in northern Europe. MTG’s Viasat TV channels reach 60 million people in 19 countries every day and MTG radio stations reach three million daily listeners.

The company already has major connections with football and Viasat recently expanded their exclusive rights to show Champions League matches to the Baltic regions, Finland and Hungary to 2008-09.

Leeds’ Head of Commercial, Simon Webster, said: “This is an outstanding agreement for the club — and a true first in football. The link up with Bet24 provides a lucrative and mutually beneficial partnership, but it is the additional support in key territories from the parent company MTG that sets this deal apart, and underlines the growing support for the re-emergence of Leeds United. It is terrific that we continue to grow a family of partners who play an important role in helping the club back to the top”

This is clearly a great deal for the club. I think Bates has managed to do it again and make sure the club will improve financially. I really like the increased amount of exposure the club will get around the world meaning increased merchantising etc. Its a great deal for all concerned. Pity that article doesnt release the figures for the deal tough as in will the amount increase if we gain promotion. hopefully the figures will be released soon though.

From the YEP site

"MTG'S Viasat TV channels reach 60 million people across Europe and ALL Leeds United's matches next season, irrespective of which division the club is in, will be broadcast live on the continent."

Thsi is great news, surely this will increase the fan base of the club.

Any chance MTG will buy the stake in TV3 that's up for grabs so that we can get the games live here too?

zaph wrote:
    Any chance MTG will buy the stake in TV3 that's up for grabs so that we can get the games live here too?

I suppose we can dream :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement