Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a replacement electric shower.

Options
  • 19-11-2005 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Our current electric shower (cold water tank fed) needs replacing and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a replacement brand/model that has a good strong water flow even in the colder winter months. Our current one always suffered from poor water flow in the winter and we'd like to overcome this with the new one (If such an electric shower exists).

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

The Triton T90SI is very good.

Good water pressure (presuming you have a good supply from the tank)
    and gets water very hot if needed even in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi pauln,

Anything fed from the storage tank should give you the same water pressure, winter or summer.

It might be worth checking the pipe work and even your tank for dirt build up when installing the new shower although the above should apply, perhaps your shower has been on the way out for a while.

Triton have a good name for both the products and the back up service if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The higher the KW rating the better, try to get over 10KW, this will mean the heater is stronger and it can heat the water to a higher temp in the winter.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭beer enigma

karltimber wrote:
    The Triton T90SI is very good.

Good water pressure (presuming you have a good supply from the tank)
    and gets water very hot if needed even in winter.

Yep...we had the T90SI (pumped electric) at our previous house, although it was a tad noisy. We switched to the Mira Elite 2 9.8Kw which seems much quieter & we're delighted with it, although I'd be happy with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just on the subject of electric showers, we have a Triton T80i fed from the mains and over the last week I've had to turn the temp dial up more & more to get any heat out of it. It was at '8' this morning and still wasn't as hot as it used to be. Normally between 5-6 would be just right.

DO I need to replace the unit or is there a t/stat or element inside that is replaceable?

If I have to replace the unit, any recommendations? Had this one for 9 1/2 yrs so happy enough with it and I think it would be less hassle to go wth the same unit again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If it was my house i'd go with a Mira Elite 2 I've used many of each type , but for landlord houses they usually put in the Mira.

Lex, I've used the T80 before and it sounds like you have gotten a good run from it, I'd just replace it if i was you, I take it that your using the T80 because you have mains water going into it and you dont have a feed from a tank becuase its too difficult for you to get a tanked supply to it

Being a sparks you'd know that both a T90 and a Mira Elite 2 would be better , but the T80 is good for your set up ( limited options)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

maybe both problems (percieved problems) are down to the cold weather.

pauln's problem ___ the flow is slowed to allow the water to heat up.

Lex Luthor'a prob ____ the water flow stays the same but the water doesn't have time to get heated

Stoner wrote:
    Lex, I've used the T80 before and it sounds like you have gotten a good run from it, I'd just replace it if i was you, I take it that your using the T80 because you have mains water going into it and you dont have a feed from a tank becuase its too difficult for you to get a tanked supply to it

Being a sparks you'd know that both a T90 and a Mira Elite 2 would be better , but the T80 is good for your set up ( limited options)
    Stoner, mains water is supplied direct to the shower. It was like that when we bought the house and all the houses in the estate are plumbed that way.

I was gonna stick with the T80i if I had to replace just for ease of swapping them out so I don't have to messa round too much with electrics/plumbing internal to the shower.

Whats the difference between the 80 & 90? or even the Mira Elite 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Stoner, mains water is supplied direct to the shower. It was like that when we bought the house and all the houses in the estate are plumbed that way.

I was gonna stick with the T80i if I had to replace just for ease of swapping them out so I don't have to messa round too much with electrics/plumbing internal to the shower.

Whats the difference between the 80 & 90? or even the Mira Elite 2?

T90si & the Mira Elite 2 are both tank fed........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

dingding wrote:
    The higher the KW rating the better

I am no electrician, but shouldn't the KW rating be subject to the quality/rating of the power cable feeding the shower from the fuse board?

I seem to recall being told that some house fires have been caused by people installing high KW showers on older 'low rated' cables?

• Advertisement

Lex,

I dont know if Mira do a version of a T80, the T80 is designed to work off the mains, I can see very little difference between a Mira Elite 2 and a T90, Mira changed the shape of thier units to match triton, but I always had Mira a little higher on the list,in our place we have a good few plumbers and they seem to like triton, I have a Mira in my house.
    Thing is even the very first T90, the big boxy ones, the connections still match up with the newer ones, so it makes it earier for a changeover, maybe thats why Mira changed their shape to match?
    If you could get a tank feed to the unit then I'd do it, surely your T80 flow rate changes when someone runs the tap in the kitchen?

prospect

If your house is wired correctly a shower that is too "heavy" for a cable than the load should trip the MCB/RCD, the switchgear should protect the cable , but it is worth noting that initially a Triton shower was cabled in 6sq.mm T+E most people pull in a 10sq.mm T+E cable nowadays

I someone changing the MCD/RCD to a higher rating then the cable can handle is a real fire risk, more dangerous then simply changing the shower. Ideally a new 30Amp or 40Amp ( dep on cable) RCBO should be fitted to a fuseboard to feed one of these showers.

Stoner wrote:
    Lex,

If you could get a tank feed to the unit then I'd do it, surely your T80 flow rate changes when someone runs the tap in the kitchen?
    too much messin Stoner and you're right...that's why no-one is allowed near the kitchen tap while I'm havin a shower or I start doing the monkey (ooh-ahh) dance in the shower...

I know the feeling lex,
    however I noticed that we never mentioned that the T80 is a pumped power shower that works from the mains, making it a different animal to many electric showers that work off the mains but have no pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,177 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have a T90i for sale if you want it...
    Took it out as we are doing up the bathroom and going with a regular mains/tank shower.
    Worked fine when I took it out so I presume it still does :)
    Make me an offer if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Triton T90 Pumped electric shower, No better shower. I am supplying and fitting years and I get no credit for saying it.

On the Kilowatt rateing an electrican can explain better but at 220 volts you will draw 8.5 kw of power and at 240 volts you will craw 9.5 kw of power although our grid might be rated at 240 it operates more often at 220 so really your better off buying an 8.5kw model which incidently is the cheapest model sold and the cheapest seller is

Woodies DIY

I was dealing trade and I still bought better from woodies. The Mira Elite 2 is good but a little dearer. Red Ring also do one, you will buy that for about 180 euro but considering the triton is only a little more its not worth it.

This has nothing to do with advertising, trust me for a pumped electric shower cold fed

Triton T90 8.5KW pumped electric shower

PS: a pumped electric shower actually slows down in winter cause the pump slows to allow the heater work harder to raise the temp of the water. This also is true. It tells you in the shower booklet.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A thing to try before you get a new shower is to clean the filter. If you have a lack of flow, or if you can only get the temperature to be hot or cold with nothing in between, doing this could help you. This is easy on the Mira's at least.

Advertisement