Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M14.....

Options
  • 19-11-2005 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

I use to shoot an M14 (7.62) years and years ago.
    Always thought that it was one of the best and most reliable longs i've had.
    Have moved back to Ireland recently and seeing that I won't be moving countries for a while I have decided to take up shooting again. Would love to get my hands on an M14 again but am not sure about the availability & licensing in Ireland.
    Anyone care to shed a light on this?

E.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The status of semi-auto centerfires is a bit up in the air. A few peole have licenced them (a .223 HK SL8 for example) but in general I think you would find it dificult to get aproval. If you got one that was modified to straight pull you may have an easier time of it. Talking to your local FAO would give you an indication of the possibilities pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Mmmmm......
    I would like to get licenses for a handgun, shotgun & large caliber rifle but I somehow think that the local Gardai would get a bit suspiscious if I applied for all those at once.
    Saw a nice Mossberg pump-action at the local gunshop yesterday. Might just try to get a license for that first...

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

shotgun should be no problem and if you want a large calibre rifle you'll have to join a fullbore shooting club same for pistol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

What's the procedure again for applying for a shotgun license?

E.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Permission to shoot on some land and go to your local Garda station. Thats pretty much it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Err,I am sure you mean a M1a1[?] from Springfield armoury? The M14 is a full auto.In theory nowt to stop you from applying for one.Somone did get a SL8 HK here from Germany.And I am sure there are some few others out there not on this boards with semis.But it is always up to your Superintendant.It will proably fall under what I call the "idonlikdelokodat" rule.[break up the phrase to understand templemore garda training college lingo:D ].simply put if your Super doesnt like the look of it,you wont get it.
    Let me know how you get on,as I want to get my MAK90 back from the US as well.

Advertisement