Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can't send/receive emails in Outlook 2003

• 19-11-2005 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is having trouble sending & receiving email in Outlook 2003. She has 2 email accounts set up (Eircom & NTL). All the settings are correct - Incoming mail server & Outgoing mail server, username, password etc...
    She recently got broadband after having dial-up, the connection Outlook is using is the LAN.

Anyone got any ideas on what the problem might be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

any idea what error message shes getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Ruu wrote:
    any idea what error message shes getting?

She's not getting any error message (sorry meant to say that), it's not even timing out. She's also running Norton AntiVirus 2005, I've disabled that and that did nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

we'll need more information. Outlook should always give an error message back afaik when something goes wrong.

layke wrote:
    we'll need more information. Outlook should always give an error message back afaik when something goes wrong.

It should really give an error message but its not, its like its just freezing but I'm able to cancel the operation after a few minutes. Its like it can't connect to the server but the server information is right. When I go into the account settings and test the settings its giving an error message then. Next time I'm around at the house I'll get the message

...but in the meantime has anyone got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

not sure what else it could be without the error message but does she have a firewall? if so she could have accidentely blocked the mail server from accessing the net.Just an idea

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote:
    not sure what else it could be without the error message but does she have a firewall? if so she could have accidentely blocked the mail server from accessing the net.Just an idea

Yea its the Norton Firewall. I could be the problem I suppose. I'll check that possibilty out. She's a basic computer user - up to 1 month ago she NEVER touched a PC so maybe the firewall popped up when she logged into her email and she accidentally blocked the server or the ports?? I only set her NTL account up last night, that isn't working either so maybe the ports are blocked??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

stephen p wrote:
    I could be the problem I suppose.
    :v:

Try logging into a POP server via telnet
    (Start -> run-> cmd >> in the cmd prompt type: telnet pop.eircom.net 110)
    If you can connect (i.e. You get +OK <some.numbers@mail1.eircom.net>)
    Then the problem is with Outlook.

If you don't get anything - check Windows firewall + NIS/NAV [DOUBLE-CHECK that it is indeed disabled - as it lies! :p]

I'm guessing from "NTL" that she has broadband - check the router (i.e. (firewall) Settings,and whether it has the facility to ping mail.eircom.net (or,unlikely,to telnet to the server..)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

She won't be able to /send/ via Eircom when she's connected via NTL anyway, and vice versa. Most ISPs prevent you from relaying unless you're connected via their network.

adam

Got the problem sorted. I added Outlook 2003 to the allowed programs list in Norton. I don't know how the hell it wasn't allowed already.

Thanks lads for the replies!!!

Advertisement