Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Wireless Security

• 19-11-2005 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

I have a Cayman Netopia Wireless Router (Eircom). Please tell me in plain english how to set up securty. My Broadband is open to all to use and I think its about time I encrypted it. I have no manual for it.
    Please help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I don't have this router so can't give details. Try the eircom support site: http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Looks like during the running of the setup wizard you get an option to enter the serial number of your router as a passphrase that will be converted to an encryption key.

Alternatively, If you go to 192.168.1.254, and enter the relevant password you'll be at your config screen.

Click on wireless and on this page adjust your security settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Disable the SSID broadcasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

SofaKing wrote:
    Disable the SSID broadcasting.
    Thats not enough on its own. You should also enable the highest encryption type your router can use (preferably WPA, if available), and use a long hashkey (md5 or similar) as the passphrase. This will make it difficult to crack, as hashkeys generally consist of long strings of junk characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Any other ideas here, the Eircom Broadband support site is SH1TE.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Go to your routers config page by going to http://192.168.1.254
    Go to the wireless page.
    Go to Advanced Configuration Options
    Change whatever options you would like to here, using wep or wpa etc. If you don't know what I'm on about, read this.
    Save your changes and exit.

Thanks MarkR that worked great.
    Just another Question

It now asks me for the network key which is 10 characters which was automatically generated. I was asked for a passphrase which I can remember, but I'm not asked for it. I am asked for the networks key. Its not easliy remembered. Is it changable
    Thanks

Thanks Again MarkR for the PM. Have it sorted, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

do you use wireless? if not just turn it off

Yes I do, Its sorted now thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement