Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

windows xp formatting question

• 19-11-2005 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I want to format my computer but i dont have the restore disk.

Is there anyway i can do this without the disk,, i have my serial number for the software,,, just not the disk..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you want to reinstall Windows, you will have to have a Windows installation disk. Since you have the serial, you could probably borrow a CD off a friend (unless its a proprietary disk, like older HP and Compaq computers used to ship with, which lock you into using that CD).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

is there anyway i cam just wipe the harddrive,, thats the main thing i want to do... there is so much stuff (100 gig) of things i dont need,,,

Use dban (securely wipes the disk) or fdisk.

Alternatively, just open a command prompt and format drive_letter /FS:file_system_name

and if i use this windows will still work? just all teh other stuff will be gone ?

If you format the disk, Windows will be gone. Everything will be gone.

I'd wait until you get a Windows disk off a friend, or email your computers manufacturer and ask for a replacement recovery disk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Format means wipe.

And dBan is designed to wipe off all the data off the drive forever, much more secure than a normal format. The NSA might be able to recover data off it by using heat to erase the most recent levels of recording maybe. ( assuming that they haven't done a deal with the HD manu's to restrict the level of an erase but that consipiracy theroy )

Use spacemonger to ID stuff to delete.

What brand of PC is it ? - many have hidden restore partitions instead of disks, some of the restore images don't wipe your drive , many do.

it's an Advent 3000 series.

if i get a normall windows xp disk not a restore disk would that work?

i mean would it remove old windows and all it's contents and install a fresh one, or will all my stuff still be there,?

as i posted before,, if i got Windows XP on Disc and installed it, would it over write the current one and all it's content ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

as i posted before,, if i got Windows XP on Disc and installed it, would it over write the current one and all it's content ?

if you get an xp disk there's no absolute guarantee that it will install on your pc - unless it'ts a new disk that you bought that noone else is using - on xp it is not a given that the product id on your m/c will work with a copy of a friend's disk - windows 98 works that way but xp doesnt always

if you reinstall windows then it will wipe windows and the registry - which means that unless you have a backup of the registry then it will delete all the info about your applications so you'll have to install all them too - but your current registry is probably in need of a clearing out anyway so it's not the best idea to try to keep it - so bank on reinstalling everything - it's the best way - also deltets the favourites, my documents, emails in OE, email addresses desktop, my music etc etc etc

you may be able to restore your system without a restore disk depending on your system - some of them ( certain years of packard bell and iquon ) use a restore partition - usually accessable by pressing a certain function key during startup

imopo - there's no real point of doing it by half measures - just do an inventory of whatever you want to keep - burn it to a cd and wipe everything - pc will be like new - make sure to put on all your updates sp2 , antivirus etc when you're finished

whole job takes between 3 to 6 hours depending on experience, difficutlites encountered etc etc

good luck

ps you should be able to get a restore disk off the manufacturers - if it;s a pack bell then they have an excellent website - just bung in the serial number and you never know what you find

ps it's a good idea to make a backup of your drivers - esp the modem ( or whatever you connect to internet with ) drivers --- nightmare if you cant connect -- use a program from the driver guide website - cant remember it's name

just to clarify - there are two different options for installing windows - one is a reinstall and the other is a repair ( just to confuse things there is also an option to repair using the console - this is a different thing altogether - avoid it ) -- i never opt to do a repair - i think it deletes MORE or LESS everything - you're better off do a full install and a full format - which deletes absolutely everything )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Advent support is given through dixon's PC servicecall website,

http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/layout.aspx?ID={37ed5c65-48a8-4013-959e-1c2ba7a179f4}&CatID={86f24952-3c1b-45c1-96d5-9c2481265a70}

you can get new recovery discs from this website, they charge about GBP£5 to send you a new set of recovery cds.

http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/recoverymedia/

Advertisement