Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with setup of NTL Broadband modem with Netgear Wireless Router

• 19-11-2005 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm having some problems setting up the supplied NTL Broadband cable modem to a Netgear wireless router.

It works no problems with a netopia dsl modem hooked via an ethernet cable to the wireless router. However, I recently got NTL Broadband at a different site and I can't for the life of me get the Modem working with the Wireless router.

I can hook the Cable Modem to the PC directly via the ethernet cable and can connect to the internet without any problems. However, when I connect the PC to the Wireless router via an ethernet cable and hook the modem up to the inbound internet connection on the router with the ethernet cable I can't access the net. The lights on the modem state that it's connected fine so it's definitely working. When I connect the PC to the router via the ethernet cable the LAN connection works fine but can't connect to the net.

There doesn't appear to be any configuration possible on the cable modem however. It's LAN IP defaults to 192.168.100.1 and the default LAN IP of the router is 192.168.0.1. I thought that there may be an IP conflict here so I set the router to use 10.11.0.1 and use it's DHCP Service to issue IP's in the same range but still I can't connect to the NET when the modem is hooked up to the router via the ethernet cable.

The wireless router is in fact just that ie. it's not a dsl/router or cable/router combo so there shouldn't be any conflicts with internet setup.

Does anyone have their NTL cable modem hooked up to a wireless router ? If so, how have you got both configured ?

TC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

anyone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i don't have a netgear router, but go to the internet connection protocol configuration of your router and make sure that it's set to dhcp rather than pppoe. pppoe is what you need for dsl, where as you need dhcp for cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You also need to reboot (power off/on) the modem when changing what is connecting to it. The modem stores the MAC address of the device connected to it. Power cycle resets this.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router connected to my ntl modem.
    The connection type is set to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP", as carrotcake stated.

Well for anyone who's interested, firstly quick thanks to Asok and sno on the #quake.ie (old skool) and #boards.ie channels on irc last night.

I had everything all set up correctly on the router but still wasn't able to see the internet connection from the modem. So after a hard reboot of the modem I could finally ping the modem from the router but DNS wasn't working arghh !! So manually added the IP's of the NTL DNS Servers to the router and bingo everything is now working as expected.

So if you are seeing problems similar to this, reboot the NTL modem and should sort things out.

TC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

check out the other thread on NTL BB issues. That may be of some help.

I got my netgear ADSL wireless router working (which I believe shouldn't have) but its not very scientific how this happened. It was a matter of powering off and on the router and it just seemed to work (not every time mind you, about 1 in 3 times). The internet light never appeared on the router any time this worked.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote:
    You also need to reboot (power off/on) the modem when changing what is connecting to it. The modem stores the MAC address of the device connected to it. Power cycle resets this.

Thanks dude, I finally released this last night. Pity it doesn't say this any where in the "manual" that you get with the bloody thing. You live and learn.

TC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

TinCool wrote:
    Thanks dude, I finally released this last night. Pity it doesn't say this any where in the "manual" that you get with the bloody thing. You live and learn.

TC

I got caught with that too. If, after transferring leads/devices, you have sync & ready lights you will notice that the enet light goes out on the modem. Go into network connections (I'm on XP) and you will see 'a network cable is unplugged' and an x through the connection concerned. Just right click on it, then disable it and enable it and it will come back up. Saves powering off the PC. hope that helps.:)

Advertisement