Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Put locknuts on your alloys !

Options
  • 19-11-2005 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

As I was driving towards Naas today I noticed a crashed Opel Corsa (with L plates :rolleyes: ) on the roadside.
    It seemed to be mostly damaged on the front r/h corner.

Anyhow, all 4 of it's wheels were missing !!

I thought to myself 'poor sod', not only has he/she a damaged car to repair, but now must also get 4 replacement wheels !

It made me think .....will be putting locknuts on my Astra a.s.a.p !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭fletch

Car coulda been dumped...often see cars dumped at the side of the road...each day as you drive by it, you notice more and more parts have been scavanged off it...
    But yeh locking wheelnuts = good idea.
    My Uncle had all his wheels robbed from his GTI, came out in the morning to find the car on bricks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have two sets on mine!
    I saw an article recently in a mag where a car owner (BMW) in the UK had their bootlid cut open with some kind of big tin opener to get at the tool tray where more than likely the locknut key would be kept. Thankfully they were disturbed [sic] and the owner just needed a new bootlid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

One of the problems with many of these locknuts is they are not unique, so any well equipped thief will have a good selection of the "keys".
    So while they may prevent the opportunist, they will not stop a real professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Saw a car around the corner from me in Ranelagh deprived of his wheels (assumed to be alloys) last year. Last w/end my hub caps were nicked ... obviously they didn't send the brightest in the bunch out then!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭fletch

I was very pissed off recently when I was down in Halfords and saw an alloy wheel locknut remover....basically a reverse threaded socket that fits over the nut and grips the locknut & removes it...will only work on nuts that are exposed though (luckyily mine aint)

• Advertisement

I had alloys on my focus when I got it.

I had to get a garage to remove the lock nuts because the key for the lock nut became worn (the socket type).

This is a problem with some of the cheaper lock nuts..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I have a spare set, unopened, if anyone wants them. They're for a Volvo S40 but I'm sure that they're fairly universal...anyway, if you want them, PM me...

Advertisement