Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weight lifting

Options
  • 19-11-2005 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

I started lifting weights las week for 3 times a week. My question is this will it affect my cycling on the negitive side?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

weights can affect cycling depending on what you are doing.

Obivously, dangerous or in correct handling can get rise to injury short term or permanent.

How strong do you want to be for your weight. Is cycling the focus or a past time.

Discuss your objectives in detail with a qualified instructor so that you get the benefit of proper training and strength building.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

If cycling is your main sport I'd advise staying away from weight trainiing other than doing leg presses to build up the quads, and even then these are beter built up on the road. If you build muscle on the upper body you'll just give yourself more weight to carry up hills.

The one place that deosnt benefit much from cycling are the ab muscles, so a few sets of crunches would be worthwhile.

If you're trying to lose weight watch your calorie consumption instead of burning it off in the gym, the calories burned in weight training aren't worth the time spent.

Advertisement