Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search function timeframe

Options
  • 19-11-2005 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Okay, I know search has been disabled for a couple of months now and I know it's being worked on, but can someone give an approximate timeframe as to when it should be operational again?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

2 freckles past a hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Not long!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'm quite enjoying it, it gives a great air of mystery regarding posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Well if regi says it wont be long then maybe it wont, but tbh boards isnt the same without it. It has been gone so bloody long now its turning to joke, nothing takes that bleeding long to fix.

WDK wrote:
    Well if regi says it wont be long then maybe it wont, but tbh boards isnt the same without it. It has been gone so bloody long now its turning to joke, nothing takes that bleeding long to fix.
    Nothing? How about the leaning tower of Pisa? But seriously, why do you want it so badly WDK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

search me?

Having the new posts function, plus in my old age you tend to forget where u have posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

WDK wrote:
    Having the new posts function, plus in my old age you tend to forget where u have posted.

Or what you have posted.:D

Hurrah another smart assed boards comment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

merc tilt has got to,are you becoming what you detest???
    turn to the dark side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

WDK wrote:
    Yup, boards is getting labyrinthian these days... it can be next to impossible to find your own posts, especially if you like to wander around.
    And threads on some boards can be pushed off the main thread view so quickly onto page 2 that you'd easily forget about them.
    Gordon wrote:
    But seriously, why do you want it so badly WDK?
    I think for a lot of people (myself included) searching is a pretty central part of our boards browsing routene... I like to revisit threads I've posted in... I do it every time I open boards.ie (the My Posts link on the index page).
    If I'm interested enough to post in the thread, then I'll be interested to read more of it as the thread grows.
    Not having the search function gives me the feeling that I've posted in an interesting thread somewhere, and I'm sure I'd like to read how it turns out, but I can't quite remember where the thread was or what it was about.
    I'm tempted to start subscribing to threads, but I've never liked doing that... it seems more messy than a quick search.

hmm did I remember to turn off the stove? oops, no time for that, I've got to wash my hands again!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

use google search, it's quite handy.

It's not usefull for finding a thread I posted in the day before though is it?

No most likely not, that's where memory search comes in or subscibing to the thread.

:v:

I'm so glad you posted.

so you won't subscribe to the thread even though it is a solution to your allegedly bad memory?

Not to the best of my recollection.
    The details of that incident are foggy.
    I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that.

The person you pay to tell you to put your trousers on in the morning is justified after all.
    as for the search timeframe, which this thread is about.
    Regi said soon so hold your breath people.

Try this: Keep a notepad open and every time you post somewhere - write down the url on the notepad for later use. Failing existance of paper and pen try out a notepad on your computer and copy paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Try this :
    1. Goto UserCP - Edit Options.
    2. Set Default Thread Subscription Mode to No Email Notification.
    3. Post as usual.
    4. Check UserCP for updates to threads you've posted in.

far handier than 'My Posts' ever was tbh (and you can 'unsubscribe' to threads you'd rather forget about)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

How many not longs in a week? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A forum is not a proper forum without search imho. Can't wait for it to be enabled again. I feel like it's been down a very long time (how long, more than a month, surely?) I wonder are subscribers declining to renew over this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moriarty wrote:
    How many not longs in a week? :)
    My crappy math tells me 604,800.

unkel wrote:
    A forum is not a proper forum without search imho. Can't wait for it to be enabled again. I feel like it's been down a very long time (how long, more than a month, surely?) I wonder are subscribers declining to renew over this?
    I'd say that's a no.

I'd say that's a no.

My subscription is coming up for renewal this week. Are you taking bets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

unkel wrote:
    My subscription is coming up for renewal this week. Are you taking bets?

My sub is up soon enough as well, depending on the state of the search function when it's time up, it might influence my resubscription..

Four Rubals on renewal!

Laguna wrote:
    it might influence my resubscription..

And apparently there are only just over 100 subscribers last time I was told...

• Advertisement

Sometimes they get new ones...like me the other day.....
    Plus they are going flat out to get things working for ages now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement