Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic while computer is off?!

• 19-11-2005 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

I am with eircom and have the Netopia 3341 smart modem, but recently I've been noticing slower internet speeds! The when I turn my computer off with the modem still on dsl traffic light blinks, which Im pretty sure didnt happen before! Also when I checked my stats it says Ive uploaded more than a gig this month, and checked yesterday then today and there was an extra 300mb uploaded! I dont think I uploaded at much at all?!

So what I'm wondering is can there be some sort of virus in my modem or something?! Its obviously not the computer cuz it still happens when its off! Anyone know anything about this?! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

Do you have any close neighbours? Sounds like someone is on your wireless network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Julez

No, its not a wireless modem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Download this.. http://demosten.com/showtraf/

It's a traffic monitor. You will have to run it from a PC connected directly to your modem (not via a router). It will show you what traffic is coming in and out. Update your anti-virus and run a spyware program. (Adaware is a good free one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

What do you get upto when online? playing either a lot of online gaming or file sharing will eat up bandwidth fast, a lot faster than people think.

The router's indicator lights will blink from time to time, even if your PC is off - so this is normal, nothing to worry about.

If you think your PC has a virus or spyware, try searching Google for...

1. AVG Anti virus (there's a free version)
    2. Lavasoft Adaware
    3. Spybot - Search & Destroy

- Neil

theothernt wrote:

1. AVG Anti virus (there's a free version)

- Neil

Theres not a free version any more. The meanies have taken it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Julez

Have adaware and AVG, dont play games too ofton, sometimes use bittorrent, use limewire but dont upload cuz I'm only allowed 1gb per month upload with eircom! But I no for a fact that I didnt upload 300mb yesterday. I know the light blinks every now and then but mine blinks every say 2 seconds now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Adey2002 wrote:

?

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Adey2002 wrote:

Ah crud! Well there's always the trail version or, if you're using Internet Explorer...

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

- Neil

bambam wrote:

Cheers bambam. It is still available, they've just hidden it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The blinking DSL light unlikely to be virus related either in the computer or the modem.
    Are you sure it's the DSL light thats flashing?
    If it is then it's a problem with either:
    Modem
    Phone line
    Dodgy micro filter
    Cable from modem to phone socket. And possibly other things.
    The DSL light should only blink when the modem is powered on and syncronises with the exchange. After that it should remain on solid.
    Do you have micro filters on ALL equipment connected to the phone line (Sky digibox etc)?
    Purchase a new digital cordless phone recently?
    It's no harm to do the virus/spyware/adware clean out already mentioned but it's unlikely a virus would account for 300mb in 1 day. If you use Bit Torrent or P2P you wouldn't feel uploading that much.
    The online stats don't update everyday so the 300mb you saw today could be from a few days ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement