Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leased line prices

• 20-11-2005 2:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

What are prices averaging for leased lines these days? There used to be a site out there listing prices, but Google isn't turning anything up for me.

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

All depends on where you are, you can have 100Mbps ethernet over fiber to your door in many parts of Dublin, Cork, Galway, for just a few grand a month now...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Got a rough price on an 8Km 128KB link last month - about 5 grand a year, didn't bother getting a more accurate one.

If the two sites are very close together you could chance private wire and put two DSL routers on them.

If you are looking for internet access unless you have a massive budget combining multiple ADSL's might be better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks lads. More interested in the low-end stuff like Cap'n Midnight's example there though, and not private wire or DSL. (I'm not actually looking for leased lines atm, just want an idea of where the market is atm.)

adam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ken Shabby wrote:
    just want an idea of where the market is atm
    Simple
    Eircom charge what they can get away with because they have a monopoly on copper in most areas. Since they have to offer the same price across the board they don't/can't offer competitive prices where there are alternatives.

Private wire is (almost) impossible to get because it used to be so much cheaper than a leased line and if you were lucky you could get a couple of megs across it.

Still not sure if you wouldn't be better off getting ISDN and setting call length to 29 minutes max and using a scheme where you get free/bundeled calls. NB. you have to be carefull on the redial on dropped calls and time limits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Not that idea of the market Capt'n. I am/was dahamsta, I know all that. :)

Specifically looking for pricing. But thanks anyway.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

If the two sites are very close together you could chance private wire and put two DSL routers on them.

Is that technically feasible - do DSL modems have the intelligence to talk to each other?

The possibilities are flying out of my head at the moment...

Darragh

Advertisement