Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privatext

• 20-11-2005 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get this service. Its a service that puts a pin number on a text msg so the recipient needs the pin to read the text. There was an article in yesterdays Sun about it but no details on where to get it. Its a good idea.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Thanks for that. I googled "privatext" yesterday and it didnt return it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

This looks like the stupidest thing in the world. Do they just send the other person a pin to collect the message online? How is that encryption?

Mobile networks are encrypted anyway.

Saw an ad for it on a bus the other day, it had a child typing on a mobile this message: "Daddy, whats a lap dancer?"

WTF??

Bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

besides the security thing, it seems to allow unlimited texts for 2 euro a week which sounds fairly good. unless of course you pay the price of the text plus the 2 euro ? anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

"system works independently from your phone service provider"
    I cant see anything suggesting you have to pay for the message on top of the €2 per week. It says unlimited messages for €2 per week.
    And it can be very useful. Wont go into the details of how it can though!
    Do they just send the other person a pin to collect the message online?
    It runs on the phone- not online. The recipient must know the PIN number which is used for all messages encrypted by your phone when you send it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

In the same way that you get all those ringtones for only €x per week.

There is nothing to say that you will have to, except the glaring lack of anything saying you won't.

Also, their website is very 1997...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

kc66 wrote:
    I cant see anything suggesting you have to pay for the message on top of the €2 per week. It says unlimited messages for €2 per week.
    And it can be very useful. Wont go into the details of how it can though!
    Have you used it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Alerts and network connections are extra
    Hmmm, how much extra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Extra costs depends on your network, 1kb data on o2 is 1c, on voda 2c, on meteor 2c as well i think.

So maybe 1-3kb for sending a sms, and then the person you send to my pay grps costs to pick up the message...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 peaderfi

You must have GPRS enabled to access PRIVATEXT. You know if your GPRS connection is working if you can connect to the O2 Active or VodafoneLive options on your mobile. If you can download ringtones or wallpapers your phone is more than likely set up correctly. Some phones required specific Internet GPRS settings on the phone. For example the Sony-Ericsson T610, T630 and the Nokia 6600 require general internet access. On these devices you must have the settings sent to your phone or create them manually

quotes from the pages...http://www.privatext.com/mobile/gprs.html and http://www.privatext.com/mobile/details.html

which means that you have to pay the gprs charges for such a service on top of the €2 pw

and as you can see from the bit below the gprs connection is always on for this service which means that they can send you anything they like an you will get charged for it

i have highlighted the passages below which mean you get charged by the networks as well for such a service
    The system works independently from your phone service provider, so it does not interfere in any way with the existing service you receive from your mobile service provider. It will not block any incoming calls or SMS messages. Instead, it suspends itself to give way to these ordinary communications.

The PRIVATEXT service is provided on a subscription basis. It costs just €2 per week to become a member. This entitles you to send as many PRIVATEXT messages as you want. Alerts and network connections are extra. This subscription is automatically deducted from your credit for pay-as-you-go subscribers or charged to your account for bill pay subscribers.

Another feature of PRIVATEXT is that you can send extended text messages - up to 1,024 characters. Texts can also be sent internationally, roaming GPRS charges will apply but no premium for the message is applied, as is the case with SMS or making a call internationally. There is no minimum period of contract - so users can unsubscribe by texting STOP to 57252.

• Advertisement
Advertisement