Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE for Leaving Cert

• 20-11-2005 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if any of you have any thoughts on RE being a LC subject. Have any of you started studying it? do you like it etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

im doing religion for the lc.im only in 5th year though and havent been properly tested in it.I did one assignment so far, which i rushed b4 school and got an A so im hoping the course will continue on as its going.
    Its down to being able to use a bit of information and waffle a big answer out of it which im pretty good at, so id recommend it.hopefully it will be easy points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It shouldn't be a Leaving Certificate subject. Religion is a personal matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

The course is structured to be objective. Any body from any religion can study it. It boils down to the teachers way of teaching it. You learn about other world religions, the scriputures, morality etc and its up to the individual to intrepret in the way they want to. Religion is a personal matter but it is also an accademic subjest. Most of the things you learn are facts you write down on a page in your exam, very few moduels require you to give you personal feelings on things. I know this because i am training to be a teacher of RE and this is the way the cirriculum has been structured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

why shouldn't it be a LC subject? It's got a massive history, lots of literature and theories and such a broad spectrum to study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Religion is one of those much needed doss classes in school.Make it into an exam subject?Nah... I like the sleep I get in meditation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

There are 'doss' religion classes for the people who dont take it as an accademic subject.. In some schools the accademic students have to take the 'doss' classes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

there are alot of joke subjects anyway like Spanish or Technical Graphics, so why not religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Would it be possible to do religion on your own outside school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Religion as a subject is a waste I feel. I've no time for it, and I'd rather have 3 classes of study a week than 3 classes talking about "Tuesdays with Morrie".

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

ratboy wrote:
    there are alot of joke subjects anyway like Spanish or Technical Graphics, so why not religion.

How is Technical Drawing a joke subject........it plays a core role in many 3rd level courses!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement