Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Warning: Do Not Go Ice Skating! **

Options
  • 20-11-2005 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up to you before you spend so much energy going all the way to Oranmore for the Ice Skating...

DO NOT GO. It is TINY! I was told it was small but thought to myself 'Sure ya cant expect an olympic rink' but OMG :eek:

Its about 20ft x 15ft ... I walked up to it and was in shock. I over heard a 8 - 10 year old kid complaining to his mother that it was tiny... Imagine an adult (ahem) stepping in. Its not even real ice

Just a heads up. I didnt even ask how much it would cost I was so disgusted, I just left

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well John, I did warn ya....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Well John, I did warn ya....:D

LOL I know but I thought you may have been exagurating a bit!

I gotta start having faith from fellow boarders :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

are they going to have the temporary rink down the Claddagh this year?
    was a decent enough rink last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I assume so... what with the ballsness of the Oranmore Skating Rink

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Didn`t the claddagh one end up getting blown into the river last year?
    Wonder what the odds will be if they set it up there again...

• Advertisement

The one in the Claddagh blew away and the company went bust...

You guys should read the advertiser more :)

So to answer your question, no the one down the Claddagh will not be returning this year as the company no longer exists

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

JohnCleary wrote:

So to answer your question, no the one down the Claddagh will not be returning this year as the company no longer exists

As far as I know, loads of people (11 if Im correct) either broke a bone or hurt themselves quite badly and sued the owner for damages and he wasnt covered for insurance fully. Pretty stupid in this day and age.

As far as I know, loads of people (11 if Im correct) either broke a bone or hurt themselves quite badly and sued the owner for damages and he wasnt covered for insurance fully. Pretty stupid in this day and age.

Pretty stupid that people go sueing over their own incompetancy :rolleyes:
    And we wonder why small business' cant afford Public Liability anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Those are the same people that slipped through the screening process at birth and subsequently were not issued with Life-Protect™ crash helmets due to a billing error.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Actually I think it was because of the shoddy workmanship of the structure. loads of pieces of Wood and metal protruding. Thats why his Insurance didnt cover him, but Im sure half of those people were just Idiots and saw € signs when it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

JohnCleary wrote:

So well have no ice rink at all this year??? aww...it was great crak last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

What's the Clifden one like?
    It's in the StationHouse Hotel courtyard...
    probably small too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

hehe. apparently my next sports & social event at work is going to be at the Oranmore "rink"
    i'd let people know that the rink sucks... but... well... i'm a bit of a cúnt:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We were just talking about going iceskating as a house outing this evening but oh well, it sounds bad....

We were just talking about going iceskating as a house outing this evening but oh well, it sounds bad....

Go... it'll be some 'outing' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Spray a **** load of deodrant on your bedroom/sitting room floor and you have a rink of equal size to Oranmore.

Sadly not very far from the truth.

im presuming drinking and skating dont mix!feck!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Spray a **** load of deodrant on your bedroom/sitting room floor and you have a rink of equal size to Oranmore.

Sadly not very far from the truth.
    My bedroom sounds bigger than this place tbh, it's like big and stuff.
    Might pop along for an 'outing' some evening as john says :D
    If all else fails we could bowl or drink instead.

Nobody been in Clifden then no?.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Was at the Oranmore "rink" last night. It is indeed tiny and its crazily expensive, €9 each for me and me girlfriend, even though I have to be honest, I had a small bit of fun while I was on it. I had never even had roller blades never mind skates on before so my repeated falling was good fun but no doubt its gonna feel so lame in comparison to real ice (If I ever get to try that)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Didn`t the claddagh one end up getting blown into the river last year?
    Yep and I was there when it happened :D
    The squall that did the damage was a real freak, It happened in the space of 10 minutes and died away just as quickly as it had appeared. Same day the tornados hit dublin and meath, and one hell of a way to welcome in the new year from my pov :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Funny stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Was at the Oranmore "rink" last night. It is indeed tiny and its crazily expensive, €9 each for me and me girlfriend, even though I have to be honest, I had a small bit of fun while I was on it. I had never even had roller blades never mind skates on before so my repeated falling was good fun but no doubt its gonna feel so lame in comparison to real ice (If I ever get to try that)
    Real ice rules, about 10 years or so ago, there was a good solid freeze and a glorified puddle in the bog froze over, good thick layer of ice too and well supported around the edges. No chance of breaking it. Spent the day slipping and sliding and beating lumps out of one another.

It was about 3'x5' at the most generous estimate, and perfectly transparent (until we scraped the shít out of the surface)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

10cm of ice will hold a jeep.

An inordinate amount of fingers were chopped off last year by skates.

This year is looking good as any for a freeze like that syxpak. But we'll have to wait and see, theres a few threads on it in the weather forum.

The rink in clifden is being built, havent checked it out yet, but will let ya know when I do.

How big is the one in Clifden gonna be? and why Clifden? surely itd make much more business in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Headin to Clifden for my Christmas party on saturday so i will post the details after that

I emailed them and asked because I'm thinking of heading out.
    The ice rink needs to be prebooked and prepaid. The cost is E15.00 for an adult and E10.00 for a child. This is based on a one hour session.

The Ice Rink is 15m x 20m and holds 50 persons at one time.

What are the exact dimensions of the Oranmore one?

aw wrote:
    I emailed them and asked because I'm thinking of heading out.

What are the exact dimensions of the Oranmore one?

Realisticly about 10m x 10m

Id be suspicious about prepay tbh

• Advertisement

Just saw the clifden rink to night, It's pretty big about what they say it is.

I think the reason it is in clifden is that the stationhouse hotel is probably looking to draw in some christmas costom.

Had a giggle to note theyve got this marquee tied down with huge precasts of concrete :D
    Guess they dont want this one flying away.

Advertisement