Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my right's on replacment or refund?

• 20-11-2005 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

i just want to get some info on what i should do and know where i stand on either a replacment or total refund just in case i get messed around when i ring mastercare in the morning.

here's the story :

i purchased a Samsung LE32R51BD lcd from dixons on sunday 6/11/05 and yesterday evening it made a loud noise the screen turned off and lot's of smoke came out of the top of it , i had to grab the kids and run out of the room and then go back in and unplug everything :mad: .

now i got onto dixons straight away and all they say is you have to ring mastercare , now mastercare even though it says on the coverplan that they have a help line on a sunday from 11am-5pm are not open until 9am in the morning :rolleyes: .

now as far as i know due to the short time i have had the set i am either due a new replacment set or a refund as i do not want to have it repaired and then returned to me , which is what i think they might say.

so in a nut shell i need to know my rights so i know what to say and how to handle things .

thanks in advance

Matt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

refund or replacement / repair if you wish.
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/consumer_complaints/refunds.html?search=refund
    Sounds like the good here was faulty = refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

thanks for the link ( bookmarked ) whiskeyman , i just wanted to be sure so i know where i stand.

no probs.
    push them on getting a refund... I presume you'll want this?
    Sounded like a pretty nasty experience.
    If they're not forthcoming with a refund, post back and I'm sure others can give you more advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Clover wrote:
    ii purchased a Samsung LE32R51BD lcd from dixons

Well that was the problem right there ;)

Seriously though don't take and nonsense from them in the morning about sending it away to be repaired etc. As Whiskeyman points out refund or replacement and nothing less. I'd be inclined to just return it to the store and get my money back if i were you.

i'll see how the call goes in the morning but i'm leaning towards just putting it in the car and taking it back to the shop for my refund as there response to what was less than impresive .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

i got my first pc from dixons(bad mistake i know now heindsight is brill) well anyways everything worked just perfect for a good while 3 yrs and after that thing started to go wrong first the screen they replaced it,but it took 5 phone calls the ref no never matched up and they could only deliver at a time that suited them.
    Other things went wrong(age of pc nobody at fault) they eventually replaced part or fixed them but took ages due to me working and them only working the times i worked too brill system dont u think
    sadly the small print is really small and jargon full but IMO due to the short time period u should march in with tv in hand and ask for replacement ur warrenty covers it but u have to get it through mastercare but create a small scene and deal with a manager no one else.
    personally mastercare plan was worth it in the long run 5years free replacement or repair but with ur case of the short period u should be able to sort it out with the shop but they can always quote that u signed the dotted line and they are right and there is not a dam thing u can do about it other than appeal to their human heart and ask as goodwill gesture that they help u out

whiskeyman wrote:
    refund or replacement / repair if you wish.
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/consumer_complaints/refunds.html?search=refund
    Sounds like the good here was faulty = refund.
    true and the op is entitled to refund but beacuse they signed the dotted line they have to follow the procedure and sadly that means dealing with mastercare and not the shop but they can appeal to the shop as an act of good faith to help the op out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Would an agreement with Coverplan/Mastercare for go your rights under the sale of goods act where you have clearly got faulty goods and want a refund at point of sale? Coverplan is fine with a faulty product but it seems that yours has self-destructed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You can't really waive your statutory rights by opting to take out an extended warranty with mastercare. You've just added extra protection. The TV's a dud, it should be replaced in the store without any quibble. I can't see them kicking up much of a fuss. If they do give them absolute hell about it.

The TV was clearly unfit for use and seriously faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Ive had my own experiences with PC World which are part of Dixons. It took me nearly three months to get my brand new computer which was faulty from day one repaired. They wouldnt give me a refund. Keep ringing mastercare and get names/time of call of the people you are dealing with and give them grief. You probably wont get any help from the shop as all they want is the money. I will never deal with any of their shops again. I hope all goes well for you and you get your refund.

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies , i tried mastercare again but no one answered so i got onto dixons in a take no **** mood and was talking to a diffrent person and i stated that i wanted one of two things either a new replacment or a total refund , he agreed and was sourcing a new set from another store for a drop and collect and i'm waiting on a call with the details.

now why could they not have had that attitude in the first place :rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Its so typical of them. Good luck with your new t.v.;)

well done at least u got to chat to someone with a brain who sorted it out for u.

Solair wrote:
    You can't really waive your statutory rights by opting to take out an extended warranty with mastercare. You've just added extra protection. The TV's a dud, it should be replaced in the store without any quibble. I can't see them kicking up much of a fuss. If they do give them absolute hell about it.

The TV was clearly unfit for use and seriously faulty.
    no u dont cause the tv probably came with a 1 year manufacturers guarantee that covers it but the shop could get fussy and quote the dotted line but like u said kick up a small fuss and it worked
    BrianD wrote:
    Would an agreement with Coverplan/Mastercare for go your rights under the sale of goods act where you have clearly got faulty goods and want a refund at point of sale? Coverplan is fine with a faulty product but it seems that yours has self-destructed!!!

no if its faulty or broken from day one u are entitled to refund or replacement at point of purchase on agreement between u and the retailer but because u signed the dotted line the shop could get fussy and ask that u follow proceedure thats all(it happened to me)but my product was outside 1 yr warranty so just kick up a fuss just be sure to tell ur situation to an adult not a spotty student on a saturday earning drinking money

thanks for the replys all .

they sourced a new replacment set for me from pc world and i have it all set up and running again , had to return the damaged set and collect the new one myself though , all went well and the staff were very helpfull which makes a change from the person i was talking to over the weekend.

again thanks for the replys .

Matt

Clover wrote:
    thanks for the replys all .

they sourced a new replacment set for me from pc world and i have it all set up and running again , had to return the damaged set and collect the new one myself though , all went well and the staff were very helpfull which makes a change from the person i was talking to over the weekend.

again thanks for the replys .

Matt
    Good to hear you had a good experience... it sure helps to know your rights though.
    well done and happy viewing :)

Advertisement