Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€10,000 for a used car. Your recommendation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I bought a lovely 01 Nissan Primera there about 2 months ago. Fully spec'd with Sun Roof, Spots, 6 CD Changer, electrics, airbags, remote locking, plenty of space, body coloured everything etc, 45,000 miles and a year warranty for €9,500.. Its good to drive, if a little firm, and is very comfortable.

Pretty much identical to this, only a saloon:

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=162122&ID=580606&NumPics=1&Make=Nissan&Model=Primera&frmFilter=Year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

first you gotta tell us what body type u want
    coupe/ saloon/hatchback??? etc

what engine size would also help out alot ?? 1.1 - 1.6 or above 2l ??:D

I personally for 10 grand would look into a honda prelude 2.2 vti 98 onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

Thanks so far lads, the primera is now on my list of possible cars.

I don't want to spend a fortune on petrol, but I'd like something with a bit of poke, so as far as engine size goes you can take that into account.

Body type: Based on pure asthetics I have to say I prefer a saloon or a coupe over a hatchback.

The honda prelude seems like more of a car enthusiasts car to me. Would I be right in saying so? For someone who wouldn't be bothered with modifications and just wants a comfortable reliable nice looking motor would it be suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Primeras, Mondeos, Passats, Boras and the Toyotas Avensis would all be worth considering, would be reliable, and would suit your budget.

That size car definately represents the best value for money secondhand. You almost pay as much for a Punto size car, and sometimes more for a Golf.

Of the above I only drove the Avensis 2.0TD, 2.0D4D and 1.6. the D4D was the nicest, the 1.6 was breathless. Very comfortable car though, and the saloon looks ok (from the back it resembles a 3series imo, but since they both look bland...)

Mondeo will depreciate hard, but it feels a stronger car.

I think you should really consider a Passat or Bora too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

Pick yerself up an A4. Touch a class! What do you want your car to say about you?

• Advertisement

Uuuh Patsy wrote:
    Pick yerself up an A4. Touch a class! What do you want your car to say about you?

You can get a bargin on ex fleet a4s at the car auctions. Not for the faint of heart though.

A4 is another good idea, BUT

The parts that are Audi specific can be expensive. In particualr im talking about bumpers, bonnets, lights and bits in the suspension. Crash one and you will know all about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Zakalwe wrote:
    10k for a 4 y.o. 1.6 156 is well overpriced. Excellent car, but because of their poor reliability reputation, their second-hand value is atrocious. You will have lots of people advise you to steer clear of the Alfa because of this reputation, and lots of people telling you that they are the greatest car ever. This poll might help put things into perspective: http://tinyurl.com/7ayjx

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have a look at Ford Mondeo which is a comfortable car and reliable, they depreciate hard so a 2001 model like this will fit your budget:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=287040

Also as already mentioned look at the Nissan Primera and Toyota Avensis. Some people think they are dull and boring but they make a good second hand buy and thieves/scumbags are rarely interested in them:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=285429

Another one to look at is the VW Passat:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=302159
    The diesel is the pick of the bunch though:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=322658

If the above are a bit big then also consider the Skoda Octavia or Seat Toledo which are fine cars:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=303107
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=307991
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=293516

Thanks lads, I've been scouting around a lot over the past few days based on your suggestions.

What do you all think of the Prius? The technophile in me loves the idea of a hybrid engine. I'm sure my pocket would enjoy the ~70MPG and there's the environmental factor as well I suppose.

The only down factor I can think of is the fact that more complexity in the engine department is going to mean less reliability.

Has anyone driven one or owned one that could comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Zakalwe wrote:
    Thanks lads, I've been scouting around a lot over the past few days based on your suggestions.

What do you all think of the Prius? The technophile in me loves the idea of a hybrid engine. I'm sure my pocket would enjoy the ~70MPG and there's the environmental factor as well I suppose.

The only down factor I can think of is the fact that more complexity in the engine department is going to mean less reliability.

Also, it would presumably tie you into the Dealer network for most servicing, limiting your choice. Someone made a good point in an earlier thread about this, that they are probably not all that ecologically friendly due to the materials that are required to build it.

I just know this is going to kick off YAAT (yet another alfa thread), but:
    The 156 is a nice car, with the following caveats:

1) Servicing and parts are probably more than most other saloons in the same range

2) They do require more TLC than other saloons, particularly Japanese ones. However, if they are looked after they should not cause any problems. As I alluded to earlier, there are loads of Alfa threads here, with contributions from Alfa owners - myself included. Have a look back, and read the comments, but try to ignore the ones that are not based on any personal experience at all.

3) Depreciation is a killer, as I found out much to my dismay. Don't pay any more than 10K tops, as it will seriously drop in value - especially as there is a newer model out now with the face lift. Don't go too cheap though at the same time, a good range would be 7 to 9.5K as this will get you a nice car for your money, but not too old at the same time.

4) The MPG isn't great, it is a nippier car than many in it's range - and fuel consumption is high enough. For example, the 1.6 model you mentioned earlier comes with about 120BHP which I would think would be a good bit more than other 1.6 saloons.

Edit:
    The one in the advert is a sportivo trim (most of the 1.6 models come with this as standard). I would recommend going for this trim if you can find it*; you get a carbon fibre centre console, side skirts, CD, leather steering wheel & gear knob and 16" alloys. None of these look tacky at all, and set off the overall styling of the car nicely.

*And no, I am not plugging my car, it is off the market :)

You wont get much of a Prius for 10k. It would certainly be a mk1, which by all accounts was dog slow.

Also in "normal" driving a prius will not return anything like 70mpg. Instead it will return the MPG of a 1.5l car that has to carry around batteries.

If you want to do your bit for the environment buy a small petrol or diesel. Or walk/cycle/take bus as much as possible.

Zakalwe wrote:

I wouldn't share that concern.

Unlike the noise about Alfa's unreliability, Toyota's recent reputation for reliability seems to be well earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Zakalwe wrote:

For €10k you are looking at a late 1990s MkI Prius. There is no way you are going to get near 70mpg out of it. As far as I know the electric engine only cuts in at low speed and the normal 1.5 litre petrol engine runs at other speeds. As they cost alot more to buy up front than other standard cars of similar age and size, the small savings you make on petrol will still not offset the initial pay out on the car itself. So unless you are better known as Swampy I would avoid this car.

As a first car you are better off sticking with something more convensional and practical, if mpg is a major concern then may be a diesel is a better option but insurance may be an issue as diesels have come along way in the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

With an admition of some bias (I own this one) how about a Rover 75?

I picked this up in the UK late last summer (it's a 00, Connoiseur CDT) and after paying VRT it came to just under €10k.

For that I've got a beautiful car (inside and out) with full cream leather seats and walnut wood trim, electric and heated seats, dual climate control, 2L diesel (plenty of power but great mpg) and a superb and comfortable drive especially for motorway trips.

May be a bit 'pipe and slippers' for some tastes but I love mine :)

bazz26 wrote:
    For €10k you are looking at a late 1990s MkI Prius. There is no way you are going to get near 70mpg out of it. As far as I know the electric engine only cuts in at low speed and the normal 1.5 litre petrol engine runs at other speeds. As they cost alot more to buy up front than other standard cars of similar age and size, the small savings you make on petrol will still not offset the initial pay out on the car itself. So unless you are better known as Swampy I would avoid this car.
    The environmental issue isn't a major concern, but it's nice to have if a car has everything else you want. My drawing to it was more from a love of gadgetry. On paper it sounds cool, but I'll yield to those with the superior knowledge in these cases.
    bazz26 wrote:
    As a first car you are better off sticking with something more convensional and practical, if mpg is a major concern then may be a diesel is a better option but insurance may be an issue as diesels have come along way in the last number of years.

This will be my 2nd car. As I said in the first post, I'm 27 and have been driving for a few years. Insurance isn't a major concern for me.

Bluehair wrote:
    With an admition of some bias (I own this one) how about a Rover 75?

I picked this up in the UK late last summer (it's a 00, Connoiseur CDT) and after paying VRT it came to just under €10k.

For that I've got a beautiful car (inside and out) with full cream leather seats and walnut wood trim, electric and heated seats, dual climate control, 2L diesel (plenty of power but great mpg) and a superb and comfortable drive especially for motorway trips.

May be a bit 'pipe and slippers' for some tastes but I love mine :)

That car just exudes class. I am seriously stunned. I thought a Rover would cost a lot more and didn't even think to look at one. What sort of mileage are we looking at here? Are there any caveats such as pricing of parts or reliability?

Zakalwe wrote:
    That car just exudes class. I am seriously stunned. I thought a Rover would cost a lot more and didn't even think to look at one. What sort of mileage are we looking at here? Are there any caveats such as pricing of parts or reliability?

It's funny because a lot of 'not into car' types (e.g. my girlfriends mates) all just assumed it's a jag, even after being driven around in it. The car had 66k miles on it when I bought(which is nothing for a diesel).

Rovers untimely end means that second hand values are very low (My own spec would have cost close to €45k new!) but many people in the UK are waking up to how much of a bargain the 75 is. Car Mechanic magazine have done 2 front-page issues in the last twelve months promoting it as a great buy.

Bear in mind the car was designed and built while BMW owned Rover and it contains many Bmw parts, in fact the 2L diesel is the same engine that's in the 3-series! It's chain driven too so no timing belt to worry about.

Reliability is great though I must admit mines getting the clutch done today due to a slave cylinder problem. Parts are a non-issue and both cheap and easy to get despite Rover going under.

There's a great mg-rover owners forum running in the UK who have just got a 75/ZT owners club up and running. One of the guys even designed and made a tdi tuning module especially for the 75! (brings bhp from 116 to 144!). To be honest if you prefer a more 'sporty' feel to a car it's probably not for you. If however like me you like to waft comfortably along the motorway at 120kph with a warm bum cosy in the leather seats with the climate control making it nice and toasty while the world outside are freezing their arses off... then you'd love it :D

Since you're interested here's a few pictures of the interior to give you a flavour for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Bluehair wrote:
    Since you're interested here's a few pictures of the interior to give you a flavour for that too.
    Whoa. That's a lot of car for 10K!
    Looked great from the outside Bluehair. Looks even better on the inside.
    Very astute purchase indeed.

Very interesting purchase, very classy looking car.

AFAIK rover offloaded the spare parts division to CAT many moons ago. However I would suspect in the years to come parts will get slightly rare (it certainly happed with previous abandoned BMC machines(e.g. Nuffield, Marshall).

Still for 10k, you can hardly go wrong and by the time the parts start to get rare you will be able to buy a donor car (if thats what you are into... :) )

Bluehair wrote:

That is an absolutely fantastic looking dash - would love to be looking at something like that in the car. Zakalwe, in quite stark contrast, this is the dash from my car and probably the same as the one in the advert you linked to.

The CD area looks quite ugly because I bought it from the states, and didn't fit the proper facia, so it doesn't blend in as well as the original.

interior.jpg

• Advertisement

I think I'm in love. Everything about that car is simply beautiful.

I had forgotten about Rover going under, but am happy to hear that parts will be available if I decide to follow your lead.

You guys have no idea how hard it has been to drive a box on wheels so I could afford to go back to college at nights. It's my final year though and I'll soon be debt free. A car like that would make a perfect graduation present to myself!

Thanks for all the compliments folks :) Tbh I waited a while to get the colour/spec I wanted and ended up going to the UK to get it. As with every marque the Irish 75s ended up with a lower spec than the UK ones. Whatever you do don't go for the classic spec there isn't even aircon!

I do love the car but I must admit it gives me a smug sense of satisfaction to know it cost a helluva lot less to buy/insure/run than anything even roughly similar in looks or comfort.
    Zakalwe wrote:
    You guys have no idea how hard it has been to drive a box on wheels so I could afford to go back to college at nights. It's my final year though and I'll soon be debt free. A car like that would make a perfect graduation present to myself!

Believe me I've been there. In fact I'm back in college as a mature student now (you should see the looks the car gets from the profs as I drive into the car park! :D ) I spent roughly 10 years driving a series of bangers to get me around and felt I deserved my 'dream car' after all that. The fact that it wasn't going to cost crazy money helped too ;)

Dunno where in college you are but I'm in DCU and if you're around there you're welcome to have a look at the car in person sometime and see if it's the kind of thing you'd really like.

If you do decide to go down that road then the UK is the best way to go. The closest thing I could find to my own car (but without the leather) here in Ireland was €14k..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Buy a comfortline Golf.

Great cars, reliable & will supply all your comfort needs.

layke wrote:
    Buy a comfortline Golf.

For that kind of cash you are talking about the Mark IV, which isn't as reliable as you would think. I owned one for a year before my Alfa, and I had a few problems like bulbs constantly going, throttle control (or something) sticking frequently. The cup holders etc around the dash were very fragile.

Unlike the Alfa, the resale value is good - however the flip side of this is that you may feel you are paying over the odds for what you are actually getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

layke wrote:
    Buy a comfortline Golf.

I agree, a TDI, plenty of power and comfort. Don't go near a Rover, they went into liquidation and no longer hold any value. Will also be hard to get parts for.

Golf's on the other hand are humble but classy, and hold their value better than any car I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

A Mark IV is very reliable in Diesel, not in petrol - from a mechanics experience who sells a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Had a 1.4 mark IV. Very little power and it seemed to use a lot of oil. Would not recommend one.

The Rover 75 diesel is a metric mile ahead of the Mk IV Golf in terms of space, performance, comfort, ability and style. As long as you buy it at the right price, they are an excellent ownership proposition.

Do not listen to parts availability nonsense - if parts are available for my 1972 Citroën DS, believe me they're available for a BMW powered modern rover.

The only objection I have to the 75 is the deliberately under-powered engine and somewhat retro styling (just my preference). Miles nicer than the X or S-type Jaguars, though.

The Rover was undoubtedly over-priced when new, which led to it's lack of popularity here. Now that they're a bargain, go for it.

I think if it was my money I would seriously consider the 75, but in the end would probably go for a Mondeo or Passat. I wouldnt pay €15k for the 75, but at €10 it remains the most interesting proposition so far.

@ds20,
    You have a Citroen DS? Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,408 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Rover 75 diesel is a metric mile ahead of the Mk IV Golf in terms of space, performance, comfort, ability and style. As long as you buy it at the right price, they are an excellent ownership proposition

Well said. The diesel was (deliberately?) underpowered by BMW so it should easily chip to around the 140-150bhp mark

@€;10k it's a lot of car for the money

Normally I'm not the biggest fan of black, but it sure looks good on your car, Bluehair :)

Advertisement