Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The homeless guy who hangs around on campus

• 20-11-2005 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey dudes,

I'm sure there's been a thread about this before, but with no search function, I won't find it.

Just wondering does anyone know anything about the homeless guy that tends to be on campus, in the restaurant and that. What's his name? Anyone ever talked to him? I've never seen him talking to anybody, I woulda thought on a college campus there'd be a load of stoned students going up and finding out about his life or something.

How many years has he been there? Does he sleep on the campus? Do services or Brady or anyone not mind him being there? Is he a drunk (genuine question, anyone seen him with a bottle of whiskey?) ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

• I've seen him smoking, but not drinking. He doesn't seem to be a drunk.
    • I believe he was once a maths teacher before he became a vagabond.
    • I believe he stopped the rape of a girl a year or two ago, and was rewarded with free reign of UCD.
    • I've never spoken to him, and don't know his name.
    • I've never seen anyone speak to him. He often looks very bored.
    • I think he spends most of his time in the Science block on the ground floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Trinitys Homeless guy is way better than UCD's Homeless guy. Our guy has a degree in something (IIRC) and was ejected many times for beating services staff for disrespecting him. He was also accused of drawing on some old books and throwing books out the library window. Students Union campaigned to allow him back in, and he was, and still is. His name is Matteo Matabura. And he is from Japan if my memory serves me.

I think every college needs a mysterious permanent figure like that. It's nice that the colleges kind of look after them. Although i think our guy burned a lot of his bridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah I heard he stopped a rape on campus and now gets free food in the restaraunt. His official name is the UCD bum.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Steveire wrote:
    • I believe he stopped the rape of a girl a year or two ago, and was rewarded with free reign of UCD.
    lol, I started in UCD in 2001 and I'm pretty sure I heard the rape-prevention story when I was in first year. I've also heard that he was a lecturer, his wife died and he lost a marble or two.

Have to love rumours and urban legends!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Steveire wrote:
    • I've seen him smoking, but not drinking. He doesn't seem to be a drunk.
    • I've never spoken to him, and don't know his name.
    • I've never seen anyone speak to him. He often looks very bored.
    • I think he spends most of his time in the Science block on the ground floor.
    Only been to UCD twice but even I know of him, from that he sounds like the best bum ever. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Do you think he has internet access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I started a thread on this last year with the dilemma or whether to talk to him or not cos no man is an island and so he must get pretty lonely.I have tried to talk to him twice and he juat grunts so i think he really doesnt want to be bothered by the students and wants to keep himself to himself.However, one day a couple of weeks ago it was pissing down with rain outside and he was walking and he looked frozen so i got a cup of (fairtrade)tea and ran out to give it to him and he said thank you which was cool.I bet he has a really intresting life story though, he looks like he has some sort of haunted past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dr J wrote:
    Yeah I heard he stopped a rape on campus and now gets free food in the restaraunt. His official name is the UCD bum.

I've also heard this.

Rofl at the picture Zane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

funktastic wrote:
    Do you think he has internet access?
    Yeah, his name on boards is Seb the bum, (bum geddit?:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

panda100 wrote:
    I started a thread on this last year with the dilemma or whether to talk to him or not cos no man is an island and so he must get pretty lonely.I have tried to talk to him twice and he juat grunts so i think he really doesnt want to be bothered by the students and wants to keep himself to himself.However, one day a couple of weeks ago it was pissing down with rain outside and he was walking and he looked frozen so i got a cup of (fairtrade)tea and ran out to give it to him and he said thank you which was cool.I bet he has a really intresting life story though, he looks like he has some sort of haunted past.

lol, you're like me, so intrigued :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

my theory was he was a college lecturer here and got unfairly fired so spends his days roaming the campus unable to accept this oh and his wife left him for another lecturer i think that someone should try get an interview with him.He seems like a good man.Was anyone in the resturant last week when another homeless guy came in shouting abuse at these girls?And had to be escourted out by a security guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I heard he was a lecturer and he had a breakdown when his wife died, I also heard that rape story too dunno how true it is though. I used to pass him on Nutley on my way to and from school like every day, apparently the guy in the lockshop gives him money for smokes or something. If you're really interested he'd probably a good person to ask about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

perhaps he is pat patterson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

man i feel so sorry for that old dude. he looks so sad and tired. i've seen some of the fat bartards in services giving him hassle, had i not been getting on to a bus i would deffinitly have told them to leave him the **** alone, i regret to doing it and i will if i see them at it again. pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

we call him the merville tramp cause he was always up at the back of the fence up in hayden square when i lived there in first year, quite sad really i suppose

Very sad...

Does he actually sleep on the campus, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

At last I can end the mystery...

IT IS I, HOMELESS GUY!!!

I live in a cardboard box outside the Centra, and occasionally altruistic students throw food at me for sustenance... Er, actually... Wait a minute, No they don't! I must be delerious with starvation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

SebtheBum wrote:
    IT IS I, HOMELESS GUY!!!
    Just as I predicted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I spoke to him briefly once. He didn't seem drunk or missing any marbles. He stopped me as I was out jogging and wanted to ask me if I knew anything about some of the soccer pitches.

John_C wrote:
    I spoke to him briefly once. He didn't seem drunk or missing any marbles. He stopped me as I was out jogging and wanted to ask me if I knew anything about some of the soccer pitches.
    I see... what did he want to know about them?

i say we get him something for christmas! if we all got some cash together we could get him some warm clothes or something for winter, i'll throw in a tenner. but i recommend the money be given to a female boardster and she be sent to do the buying as guys generally suck at buying clothes for other people.

I'm serious here, would anyone else be willing to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

That's actually a great idea ferdi! I'd definitely be willing to give something

good man waltons!
    anyone else?

tis the season after all, this man is obviously worn out, tired, cold and lonely, i think the least we can do is buy him some decent winter clothing?

I dunno... it would probably make him feel a bit sh*t to know that a load of rich kid students think he needs their charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

is he the same bum that hangs round the montrose bus stop sometimes at 5-6pm in the evening? I get the 145 from there, and often see a bum getting the 46a, but since i dont get that bus i dunno where he gets off.

DaveMcG wrote:
    I dunno... it would probably make him feel a bit sh*t to know that a load of rich kid students think he needs their charity.
    possibly, anyone else agree with this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

'tis the season as they say, does it really matter where the charity comes from as long as its given with good intentions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement