Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The homeless guy who hangs around on campus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I think it would be hilarious to come back to this thread in 10 years to see how many of you fell on hard times and, god forbid, had to live on the streets??! Wouldn't that be great?
    One of you might have become an alcoholic, your wife may have died then the bank re-possessed you house! Oh the humourous hilarity of it all!!!!!
    We could all call you 'bum' and generally snigger at you.
    I see a reality T.V. show coming on!!

There, but for the grace of God, go I.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sleipnir wrote:
    ...become an alcoholic ... your wife may have died ... the bank re-possessed you house!
    Sleipnir wrote:

He's some man this "God".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Sleipnir wrote:
    I think it would be hilarious to come back to this thread in 10 years to see how many of you fell on hard times and, god forbid, had to live on the streets??! Wouldn't that be great?
    One of you might have become an alcoholic, your wife may have died then the bank re-possessed you house! Oh the humourous hilarity of it all!!!!!

eh??? who was sniggering??

anyhoo....i think buying him something is a good idea. maybe it would make him a little uncomfortable so perhaps we could leave it into the shop under library and they could give it to him? anonymous donation kind of thing? He's down there a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Andore

I think most people want to be friends with him just so they can have a relationship like Boothby and Picard had. I just respect his privacy though and leave him alone. To me he's like the G-Man, mysterious and never says anything and always seems to be just off in the distance.

I would be up for giving money for something , I get tired of getting hastled in town about giving money when I have no idea where it actually goes but this way we can help out someone locally and hopefully make him more comfortable over December while the University is deserted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Come on thats a bloody awful idea, leave him alone end this stupid post, the dudes becoming a plaything like a stray cat. Even though we mean well I dont think he'd appreciate this topic.

• Advertisement

Come on thats a bloody awful idea, leave him alone end this stupid post, the dudes becoming a plaything like a stray cat. Even though we mean well I dont think he'd appreciate this topic.

yea of course, you're right. lets not give to any charitable cause ever. the guy is homeless and its pretty cold these days on campus. nobody is suggesting we all march up to him and give him present and look smug for our great deed.
    if he was handed a nice snug jumper/coat/scarf/hat i seriously doubt he'd say no. christ, its that cold these days I wouldnt say no! :)

as for him being a plaything.....?? i honestly dont think anyone on this forum thinks like that. Well maybe Sangre but he's still banned (i think) :p

anyway, if anyone wants to organise this in the next few weeks i'll be more than willing to give some cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ferdi wrote:
    i say we get him something for christmas! if we all got some cash together we could get him some warm clothes or something for winter, i'll throw in a tenner. but i recommend the money be given to a female boardster and she be sent to do the buying as guys generally suck at buying clothes for other people.

I'm serious here, would anyone else be willing to do this?

I think it's a bad idea. I know you mean well but as Dave said, I think he'd resent being looked upon as a charity case.

It's like the way some people with disabilities dislike it when you offer to help them as they think you are being patronising towards them.

I would leave the man alone but it's your call.

I think it's a bad idea. I know you mean well but as Dave said, I think he'd resent being looked upon as a charity case.

It's like the way some people with disabilities dislike it when you offer to help them as they think you are being patronising towards them.

I would leave the man alone but it's your call.

I can see the point being made, but I reckon an "anonymous donation" could be a nice gesture. the people handing it to him wouldnt know much about it and he wouldnt be overly embarassed.

Either way, I dont mind.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i'd definitely be on for it peachy. ucd's a pretty bleak place at the best of times, can't imagine what it's like over the xmas holiday period.

Did Mr. Nice Guy just turn down a charitable cause?! I strip you of your title! :p

Anyways, I'd be up for it too. He'll probably be angry at first but will be glad to have the coat or whatever by the time January is upon us.

• Advertisement

Did Mr. Nice Guy just turn down a charitable cause?! I strip you of your title! :p

What's charitable to you and I might not be charitable to the guy on the receiving end. That's all I'm saying.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

i bet he is actually a multi millionaire who just comes in here to get free food cause he has all his millions stuffed under his bed............................or not:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

if we wrap the coat or whatever in christmas paper, it is no longer a donation to a charity case - its just a christmas pressy! how can he be offended by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

Originally posted by funktastic:
    do you think he has internet access?

as do you think he is one of those wireless hotspots we hear so much about? Will i get a signal off him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Homerbeer

I have lived near ucd my whole life, and he's been there as long as i can remember. Me and my friends nicknamed Paddy. We confronted him before but he's never talked to us. Yet a few weeks back my little brother was playing hurling and he came up to him and said he once played for dublin. He gets his meals for free in the canteen, doesn't drink like yor typical homeless guy, overall he's quite harmless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Homerbeer

I have lived near ucd my whole life, and he's been there as long as i can remember. Me and my friends nicknamed Paddy. We confronted him before but he's never talked to us. Yet a few weeks back my little brother was playing hurling and he came up to him and said he once played for dublin. He gets his meals for free in the canteen, doesn't drink like yor typical homeless guy, overall he's quite harmless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I thought he was a Mature Student ;)

Ok so a bad joke.

Been working here for over half a year now. during the summer I seen him about alot. He is up by the computer center alot. only ever said hi in passing. From what I know. He gets free meals and the such. In terms of homeless people, he has it pretty good. Steady hot meals and the such. Seems pretty happy to be left alone to his own vices if you aske me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Sleipnir wrote:

Haha spot the martyr struggling to find a cause

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Anyways, I'd be up for it too. He'll probably be angry at first but will be glad to have the coat or whatever by the time January is upon us.

Ive no coat r money and im freezing. By me a coat!

will a UCD scarf with the weird tassles suffice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

shall we give him a makeover?

Doodee wrote:
    shall we give him a makeover?

Suprised Qsoc (who) and L&H havnt put posters on him

we at dutch soc have our plans for him.........mwhahahaha........no seriously we do, and they're GOOD plans too, we may make him co-auditor. I hear he's on the craic soc commitee too.

Grimes wrote:
    Suprised Qsoc (who) and L&H havnt put posters on him

:D

Oh man! I can just imagine him dressed up as a rugger boy with an oompa-lumpa at his side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Homerbeer wrote:
    I have lived near ucd my whole life, and he's been there as long as i can remember. Me and my friends nicknamed Paddy.

Paddy, eh?
    ...Does he graffiti the bathroom walls much?
    No, seriously though, I heard that the bum stopped a rape. Pat Paterson was being torn a new a'hole and the bum came (:v: ) and put a stop to it.
    Fair play.
    Having heard the story, me and the lads devised this scheme to get free meals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

I know its great fun (sitting in a warm computer lab, sitting at home or sitting with a piece of metal worth €1000 or more heating your lap), but I really think this thread is very degrading and quite insulting. Sure, the guy might never read it but I don't think its nice to be talking about him in the ways people have on this thread. Here is another question that might stop this thread once and for all...

Does anybody have any proof that he's homeless? I volunteered for ALONE spending time with old people living at home alone (who don't need your charity or otherwise) and some looked alot worse than the man often seen in the restaurant. Has anybody got any proof he's homeless? Does he wear a banner? or sleep on the Dramsoc couch?

If you ask me, there are more well-dressed people who are actually STUDYING in the college who i'd call BUMS.

"Down with this sort of thing", I say.

If you ask me, there are more well-dressed people who are actually STUDYING in the college who i'd call BUMS.

QUOTE] I dont think anyone is diputing that fact.

"Down with this sort of thing", I say.

Careful now.

I don't think anyone has disrespected him. D4 types have suffered far worse on this forum.

I respect him for saving that girl from the rapist. A heroic deed is a heroic deed at the end of the day.

I agree there have been one or two posts in bad taste but on the whole the thread has been very respectful. The whole buying a present thing is simply an attempt to do something nice for another human being who is in a worse-off position than us.

Maybe he would prefer it if we didnt....and if thats the case he doesnt have to accept it. *shrug*

I'm still on for it if anyone else is. :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

yeah, no matter what his circumstances are i think it would be nice to do some xmas gift for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement