Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The homeless guy who hangs around on campus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Yeah i think its a really nice gesture if done discreetly.I lived on campus for two years and whenever i was walking home and it was dark and i was by myself i would always feel safe if i saw him,so this can be a little way for me to say thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I reckon he'd appreciate it. :)

So who is willing to organise this then?

I agree with ferdi that maybe it should be a female poster (no offence lads) and one who can handle money and is organised (ie: not me!!!)

i vote for panda :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

I said a dollar, bitch *slam*

classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I see him pretty much every day in the science building and yeah they definitely give him free food in the canteen, which is mighty decent of ucd.
    Also, I've taken the same bus as him after college sometimes, heading towards dun laoghaire (46A)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

any idea where he gets off? the 46a? he may not be quite as homeless if he goes to a hostel or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Aye, he hops off at Blackrock and goes back to his mansion, with his yacht and Bentley parked outside!!! Made entirely of other people's donations!!!!!! We're funding his lavish lifestyle!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Sorry, got caught up there...:o

lol, that's not quite what i meant, but he is the UCD homeless guy, so a few eyebrows would be raised if he was sleeping rough on any other college grounds.......Senior College Dún Laoghaire, I'm looking at you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 whatsgoin'on

What i've heard is that he's been here so long that he has about 6-8 degrees.
    and makes some money by correcting essays and exams for the college.

he also has a daily routine
    Science block in the morning
    Engineering at dinnertime.
    library building bout 6.

where has everyone else seen him and at what time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

perhaps hes not homeless. He could be an Arts Student

Arts students aren't as well dressed as him, so that rules out that theory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i see him around the lower ground floor of the arts block alot, he comes in the side entrance by the back of the library and wanders about the lockers, probably just to get in out of the cold. tis usually in the afternoons when im leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Walking down to school along Nutley Ave every morning since as long as I can remember )but lets guess around 1998 at least) he walks up Nutley from the Merrion direction towards UCD at around 8.10.

He will always be known as Nutley Bum to me.

So are we still on for the present idea?I think a nice scarf,gloves and hat-gloves and hat are vital on those chilly nights.Dont think we should go armani but not penny either-something cosy and warm.I dont mind giving it to him as long as its somewhere like downstairs in the arts block cos thats quite discreet.And i can just say happy christmas when I'm giving it to him-i dont think that'l look like we're giving it too him out of charity,its just a good gesture.I dont mind putting 10 euro in the kitty would probably just be spending it on drink over xmas anywho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Jesus Christ! Some of the stuff here is really in bad taste guys - show a little respect. AFAIK he doesn't sleep rough - there is a men's shelter or hostel in the vacinity that he stays in. I'm not sure about the present idea - its a little naive - he may well have people looking out for his needs - I do know certain shops on campus tend to look after him ie give him free stuff.

Those of you wishing to buy him a present - should organise it via PM - but as far as this thread goes it should be closed.

sorry there reactor didnt mean for my post to be in bad taste.I fear that if it was a thread about sending presents to homeless street children in calcutta then our gift idea would be appluaded and not seen in bad taste.However,when charity is a little closer to home people always get uncomortable.

panda100 wrote:
    sorry there reactor didnt mean for my post to be in bad taste.I fear that if it was a thread about sending presents to homeless street children in calcutta then our gift idea would be appluaded and not seen in bad taste.However,when charity is a little closer to home people always get uncomortable.
    I didn't say your post was in bad taste - nor the idea of getting a present per-say - a little naive without nowing the full circumstances, however.

we were just trying to be nice, mr PC

How is it naive??

The guy spends a lot of time on campus and the fact that he gets free food from the canteen would clearly indicate that he doesnt have that much money. It hardly takes Sherlock Holmes to work it out. I mean, you can say we dont know all the facts, but if he doesnt take offence to being given free food in the college why would he take offence to a small christmas gift??

I'll give a tenner.....who wants to get this moving?

That's fine, you're willing to make those assumptions about someone you know practically nothing about, and make this "grand" jesture, which may in the end be received poorly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

It's not a "grand" jesture, we're just thinking about getting him a small christmas present.
    Fair enough, he may stay in a shelter nearby, I don't know. We do know that he spends a lot of time on campus though, and it is cold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I dont know about the "clearly having no money" fact either.
    I for one have seen him break up 5 chocolate bars and mush them into the ground in the seats outside the SU shop.
    Perhaps they were free, perhaps not.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    That's fine, you're willing to make those assumptions about someone you know practically nothing about, and make this "grand" jesture, which may in the end be received poorly.
    Tbh if he didn't want people giving him charity maybe he shouldn't wander around UCD dressed and acting like a bum.

GreeBo wrote:
    I for one have seen him break up 5 chocolate bars and mush them into the ground in the seats outside the SU shop.
    Perhaps they were free, perhaps not.

Maybe they were nestle bars and so he was doing his bit for the ban:)

GreeBo wrote:

if you read my post again you'll see i said "clearly indicate that he doesnt have that much money". If he's going to react badly to a small gift from a student then surely getting he'd do the same with the free food he gets daily from the college?

At the end of the day lads, anyone who doesnt want to contribute doesnt have to.

Its unreal that a small act of kindness has such a reaction... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Its unreal that a small act of kindness has such a reaction... :rolleyes:

To be fair, I don't think people are objecting to the act itself but rather how he will take it. If he reacts badly then he feels bad and you feel bad.

It's a bit of a risky thing to do (not in the sense that he'll hurt you but you know what I mean...)

To be fair, I don't think people are objecting to the act itself but rather how he will take it. If he reacts badly then he feels bad and you feel bad.

It's a bit of a risky thing to do (not in the sense that he'll hurt you but you know what I mean...)

I could understand that if we were ALL going to march up to the poor guy and embarass him. Discretion has always been the aim here.

Anyway, as I said, those who dont want to contribute dont have to.

Discretion has always been the aim here.

Exterminate with extreme prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

What he needs most is a shower. The smell is incedible off him. Just experienced it today. Is he allowed use the showers in the sports center?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Steveire wrote:
    What he needs most is a shower. The smell is incedible off him. Just experienced it today. Is he allowed use the showers in the sports center?
    I still think hes a mature student. Probably Arts . Wouldnt be suprised if he is Hugh Brady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Steveire wrote:
    Are you talking about the homeless looking guy who was sitting on the red seats in that room with the tv by 911? Cos thats not him its someone trying to get in on his turf! Seriously I saw the guy there yesterday, thought it was hime, then turned around and saw the real homeless guy coming out of the post office area :eek: I think the gloves/scarf idea is a good one and would also be willing to throw in a tenner for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement