Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The homeless guy who hangs around on campus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

He was there when I first went to UCD, and that was the eighties.

A friend of mine, who was SU welfare officer at the time, sat with him and bought him lunch once. She did all the talking; he simply nodded or shook his head. Eventually the conversation became stilted and she asked him words to the effect, “do you think there’s a lot of spoilt middle class kids here that come up to you offering to buy you things ‘cos they feel guilty?” to which he nodded vociferously.

So the reality is that he’s been around a long time and keeps to himself. The reality is that while some of the myths that are floating about him may be true, they probably are not. And ultimately the reality is he’s most likely happy enough being left alone by the local wildlife.

But it’s kind of sweet to see so many bleeding hearts all on one thread, nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

blondie83 wrote:
    be willing to throw in a tenner for it.

For a pair of gloves and a scarf? From where Paris?? Anyways I would be inclined to agree with Corinthian and wouldnt bother the poor guy unless he asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Thats good we found that out-dont think we should do the pressie idea after hearing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Sgt Slaughter

When i did security down in ucd a few years ago for the special olympics, we were told that there was a bum who was an ex-lecturer hanging around and that if we seen him on patrols or anything we werent to move him on or anything. Harmless fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Grimes wrote:
    For a pair of gloves and a scarf? From where Paris??

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

So eh 2,000 views of this thread and everyone has forgotten about buying the homeless guy some fingerless gloves and a record of the soundtrack to Oliver for Christmas? (see:'Fagin') :rolleyes: But eh really everyone must have just forgotten/isn't arsed/gone home/doing exams. A bum isn't just for Christmas, it's for life.

It was just after what the corinthian said that we considered better not to give him anything.I dunno maybe we were a bit hasty in out thoughts of charity cos so many are keen on putting us off the idea of buying him a nice hat and gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

panda100 wrote:
    It was just after what the corinthian said that we considered better not to give him anything.I dunno maybe we were a bit hasty in out thoughts of charity cos so many are keen on putting us off the idea of buying him a nice hat and gloves.

Have to agree with previous post that he needs a shower far more then a pair of nice har and gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

realistically no one is actually goin to give him fcuk all, i reckon he wouldnt take anything if it was given to him, he might not have many material goods but im sure he still has pride!!! that prob makes no sence at all:o

tintinr35 wrote:
    he might not have many material goods but im sure he still has pride!!! that prob makes no sence at all:o

Its easy to say that if you have material goods. Kinda look "its only money" Its only ever money if you have it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

whos the newbie in the white jacket, you didnt give old homeless guy a makeover... did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Yea i saw that guy on the bus last week. Havent seen the usual guy around in a while tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tonymontana

I see the original guy everyday from my perch on the 1st arts floor wandering around the library. The other guy stinks and shouldn't be allowed on campus, he's coughin like he's got tb, which he probably does and heard him muttering to himself so thought he might be schizophrenic, but some him reading the papers today outside the su shop, so he can't be that schizophrenic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I see the original guy everyday from my perch on the 1st arts floor wandering around the library. The other guy stinks and shouldn't be allowed on campus, he's coughin like he's got tb, which he probably does and heard him muttering to himself so thought he might be schizo, but some reading the papers today outside the su shop, so he can't be that schizo!
    How did you get into college?

Oh...arts.

Medicine, actually.

hahaha..no wonder the health system is bollóxed!

Medicine, actually.

Ha up yours Sangre you smart pr*ck . Tony, well played

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I see the original guy everyday from my perch on the 1st arts floor wandering around the library. The other guy stinks and shouldn't be allowed on campus, he's coughin like he's got tb, which he probably does and heard him muttering to himself so thought he might be schizo, but some reading the papers today outside the su shop, so he can't be that schizo!

yes, because everyone knows that people with schizophrenia can't read :rolleyes:

go medicine...i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

seen the "new bum" around dublin before. He often sleeps on the bench at the 10 bus top at that hugenot cemetery. Completely stinks of piss. Popped into the SU shop in library building this evening and he was there on the red benches. The whole area stank of piss.

:(

I was just stating some facts:

Most homeless people are schizophrenic. Nearly 1/3 of schizophrenics in the States are homeless, the other 1/3 tend to kill themselves.

Anyone with tb in Ireland is either homeless, an immigrant or has AIDS.

Most Meds can't spell.

I just think that campus is not the place for the guy. He needs help/cleaning/treatment. The other guy seems ok. I heard he might be deaf and dumb, but he looks pretty sane and healthy.

• Advertisement

Got any proof for those wild stats? Stop judging these homeless people

Kids, let me tell you about another so-called `wicked' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was... I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. You know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Or a badger.

Yeah, you know what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Most Meds can't spell.

consider yourself banned for a few days

eh?
    Oo...kay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Quickest smackdown I've seen in a while!

and most ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

does seem a bit harsh.

Shes gone mad with power :D

Nearly 1/3 of schizos in the States are homeless, the other 1/3 tend to kill themselves.

And the other 3rd post here

• Advertisement

Most homeless people are schizophrenic. Nearly 1/3 of schizos in the States are homeless, the other 1/3 tend to kill themselves.

Most Meds can't spell.

I just think that campus is not the place for the guy. He needs help/cleaning/treatment. The other guy seems ok. I heard he might be deaf and dumb, but he looks pretty sane and healthy.

uh if you'd done some research youll know that half the country are schizophrenic. Its always the first thing that shocks med's the most when they first do experience in a g.p practice,that every second patient is schizophrenic. So this is not at all isolated to the homeless community.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement