Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extra RAM

• 20-11-2005 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking to slot a few extra sticks of RAM into my G 5 Imac, and can't remember the site or sites that comes up that is safe to order from. Can somene be so good as to post it up, and to remind me how easy it is, lest I panic!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Just about any PC RAM will do. I did that to my iMac as well. Works perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

HomunQlus wrote:

A dangerous and possibly expensive answer. Having bought "Just about any PC RAM" for nearly 250 quid (4GIG) I learnt the hard way that any pc ram WILL NOT do.

Visit Komplett and use their memory chooser to find RAM for yout Mac - Kingston or Crucial is best. At best "any PC RAM" will simply not show up at all on the Mac, at worst it will show up but you Mac will crash randomly with Kernel panics. Worse again it could damage the logic board rendering your Mac useless.

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

HomunQlus wrote:

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

I bought two 512 MB RAM DDR sticks, and took the 256 MB RAM out. Works without any problems.

If you wanna have good quality fairly cheap, you check www.komplett.ie

P.S.: The iMac only supports up to 2 Gig RAM, the newer ones as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

HomunQlus wrote:
    I bought two 512 MB RAM DDR sticks, and took the 256 MB RAM out. Works without any problems.

If you wanna have good quality fairly cheap, you check www.komplett.ie

P.S.: The iMac only supports up to 2 Gig RAM, the newer ones as well.

Homunqlus, sorry to cut you short here but the little I know about RAM and iMac means that sadly I can't take out the 256 stick as mine had 512 to begin with! :P While you may well know what you did in your case (Fair balls To you but I am not a logic board type techie), the fact remains that it is your machine. If I followed your advice to the word, I'd be in Maplins today, get a 256 only to find it's a 512 I need and most likely at a totally wrong bus. Then that means a trip to Mactivate :(

However, thank you for the URL, I will check them out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

komplett have a crucial memory selector, which will ensure that the memory you select works with your machine.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kc.asp?bn=10232

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 garymidgley

Use Apple's configurator Apple Memory Upgrade Utility

This shows you exactly what memory you need!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Hamndegger wrote:
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to slot a few extra sticks of RAM into my G 5 Imac, and can't remember the site or sites that comes up that is safe to order from. Can somene be so good as to post it up, and to remind me how easy it is, lest I panic!!!

www.crucial.com have a mac RAM configurator (and a UK and EU site) as do http://www.macsales.com/. Crucial is probably less expensive.

HC

PS don't buy from Apple website - way expensivo

Advertisement