Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Questions

Options
  • 20-11-2005 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I'm just after buying a new car, a 01 fiat punto.
    I'm looking at insuring it.
    What companies would be best for a young (20) male driver.

Also, is it possible to get insured for a period under a year?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

regarding Q. 2 - I don't know who covers new drivers but Quinn Direct will be mentioned - just don't crash if you are with them!
    regarding Q. 2 - No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Soupi

no insurance company will insure you for a period of under or over a year.

you're best off letting your fingers do the walking for the other question,get out the golden pages and ring around.

everyone's different when it comes to insurance companies

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

chalky wrote:
    Generally no. Though if you're paying by installments, it's usually possible to simply cancel your policy halfway through. That said, most insurers require you to have been insured with them for a year, otherwise you'll be penalised when you try and cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Go to Hibernian and do the ignition course. That will get you a resonable quote.

It is possible to get insurance for less than one year, I got a quote through a broker before, can't remember who it was though. Expect to pay a hefty price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

try www.insure.ie

they give quotes for a few places.

Shop around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Rats!
    I have a provisional licence, If I go ahead and get insured for the year, then 2 weeks later, I get my test, pass and get my full licence, will I, by any chance, be able to get any cash back or anything like that (for the difference in quote).

PS. I could have sworn I posted this on tuesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

They should as the conditions of the insurance will have changed. However it will not (as usual) be a linear difference between a provisional licence quote minus full licence quote divided by the time insured. They will pick a random lower figure to reimburse you. Argue the point to get more.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You will get refunded for the difference in your premium.

Thanks.
    I was kinda expecting a big fat NO!

Trampas wrote:
    try www.insure.ie

they give quotes for a few places.

Shop around

I would agree with this I got a reasonable quote for an unreasonable car ;)

• Advertisement

Ok, I called insure.ie and they said they couldn't give me a quote unless I did the hibernian primary assessment course. I got a quote of around €2.5k from quinn direct. Would it be worth doing the course? What kind of quote would I be looking at with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

chalky wrote:
    I'm just after buying a new car, a 01 fiat punto.
    I'm looking at insuring it.
    What companies would be best for a young (20) male driver.

Thanks

i'm 21 and got insured on a 98 putno, under my parents, thrid party fire and theft, €1100 with axa/pmpa or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Afaik thats the provisional ignition there looking for you to do,it decreases the premium by the amount a full licence would.

What im unsure of tho is if you sit your test and pass say a month after doing the prov ignition,If they will further discount you for obtaining the full licence.

I dont know anyone thats done the prov test either so im unsure of the content ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Im 22 and on a provisional licence, never driven a car aprt from a few lessons, but have a fulll bike licence and 4 & a half years no claims on the bikes. Got a third party fire & theft quote on a 96 pug 106 worth 2 grand of............€4450 from that insure.ie site!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Soupi

BrynW wrote:
    Im 22 and on a provisional licence, never driven a car aprt from a few lessons, but have a fulll bike licence and 4 & a half years no claims on the bikes. Got a third party fire & theft quote on a 96 pug 106 worth 2 grand of............€4450 from that insure.ie site!!!!

everyone in my family drive bikes, i don't have one but my sister does and she has her full bike licence and a full no claims bonus but it doesn't affect your car insurance at all. she found out the hard way when she got her first car. it's ridiculous, they should take it into account because it's harder to go without having an accident on a boke than a car, be it the rider or other stupid people in cars that don't look out for motorbikes.

Advertisement