Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Play-Off : Rovers Vs CHF

• 20-11-2005 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Well, its Shams Vs CHF.

What do people think will happen, and what do people want to happen?

Personally I hope Rovers win. CHF brought nothing to the league last season, have no fans, and an awful ground (though if they get promoted I suppose they will be at Tolka again?).

Unfortunatley, I think that Dermot Keely will have his homework done. CHF are playing well, and did well to overtake Cobh into the playoff spot. Shams on the other hand have been in freefall for weeks, and with the Roddygate a factor also, I cant see it being curtaisn for Rovers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

If any Dublin City were playing any other team I'd pray that they would lose but since it's Rovers I only want one outcome and that is for Dublin City to return to the Premier. I also want Roddy to be sick at the sight of the club who he left relegating his new side so badly!

Who do I think will win? Too close to call. I predict 2 tight games, maybe only a goal to separate the sides after both legs however unfortunately for my ego I reckon Rovers will achieve the great escape .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

It being CHF its sad they bring nothing to the league other than the ability to say they relegated Rovers.

Hopefully CHF to blow them away in the 1st leg, nothing like seeing a team/fans show up for a 2nd leg knowing full well its over. Its on my list akin to seeing men cry when relegated as things i like to see.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

If only they could both be in the first division :( , I suppose I would rather see Shams lose .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

come on the shams you can do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

If any Dublin City were playing any other team I'd pray that they would lose but since it's Rovers I only want one outcome and that is for Dublin City to return to the Premier. I also want Roddy to be sick at the sight of the club who he left relegating his new side so badly!

Who do I think will win? Too close to call. I predict 2 tight games, maybe only a goal to separate the sides after both legs however unfortunately for my ego I reckon Rovers will achieve the great escape .

pit you wont see roddy either way, sure he wont be there, regardless he'll blam the 400 club just cuz he's unable to accept responsibility, anyway we'll beat them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

Hopefully we'll do it. All the premier clubs would be backing us too as ICBINHF bring nothing to the league.

Played well first half friday and the losing streak is over so here's hoping.

BTW who are shams??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

come on rovers.. i hate CHF with a passion, although i have to admit i have great time for Rocky Seery, the man has a passion few in our league can match.. that and he's a nice guy too, from my past experiences with him..

But they bring nothin at all to the league, at least rovers have pedigree, passion.. it's a pity they're lumped with Roddy..

I think as soon as tallaght's finished and they get a good manager in they'll be sorted..

So come on the hoops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I hate the shams, but I think that relegation will mean they wont come up for a bit and CHF will just go back down straight away. A Shams - Shels or Shams - Bohs derby is much better than a match against CHF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm confident Rovers can do the business over the two legs. Thanks to our support and I Can't Believe It's Not Home Farm's lack of support, both games will be akin to home matches - or as close as they can be when you play your 'home' games at your biggest rivals stadium

Still, that could all be over soon - the South Dublin County Council are meeting today and all going well, could give the greenlight for building to restart on Rovers stadium in Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

Should do it !!!! Then rid of Roddy. If they dont it will be a disaster to the league !!!!!

Ive heard too much stuff about the county council meeting and other investers going to do the stadium and all the dead certs on ompletion to get excited. Ill only be happy when Im off the luas and in line at the stadium with all the excitment that goes with it. Hope it will be a Bohs derby the first game ( Ive dreamt about that day on many an occasion!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I'm confident Rovers can do the business over the two legs. Thanks to our support and I Can't Believe It's Not Home Farm's lack of support, both games will be akin to home matches - or as close as they can be when you play your 'home' games at your biggest rivals stadium

Still, that could all be over soon - the South Dublin County Council are meeting today and all going well, could give the greenlight for building to restart on Rovers stadium in Tallaght.
    I think you underestimate the rivalry between clubs here, CHF will have thousands of Bohs/Shels/Pats in attendance, or so I would imagine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Rovers will beat them easy. Not only is their a big gap between the leagues but Rovers on the field didn't finish bottom two anyway. It'll be like Bohs Cobh.

Though I pray for somehow Dublin City to win, relegate Rovers and by some technicality not get promoted themselves.

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    I think you underestimate the rivalry between clubs here, CHF will have thousands of Bohs/Shels/Pats in attendance, or so I would imagine...

Bring it on, once its decided on the pitch and none of those "Casuals" and all those lot come along it should be a super game!

Thousands? I seriously doubt it - there will probably be a handful of neutrals and maybe a few of the usual suspects out for trouble. I think most respectable supporters would be above such small-time behaviour. Supporters of other Dublin clubs are of course, more than welcome to come along and swell Rover's coffers on Friday though.

Nuttzz wrote:
    I hate the shams, but I think that relegation will mean they wont come up for a bit and CHF will just go back down straight away. A Shams - Shels or Shams - Bohs derby is much better than a match against CHF

Who? If its ROVERS you are referring to why the hatred?

Super furry other fans are welcome TOMORROW night to swell our coffers.

Is the match on TV either tommrow night or on fri??
    Im in belgium otherwise I would not miss it for the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Best of luck tonight Shamrock Rovers, finsih the job tonight, so Keeley awful shower dont even have a hope come Friday.

Just about to leave - for Dalymount, not Tolka as I thought. Feeling good about this. COME ON ROVERS!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Dublin City take the lead

Current Score
    Shamrock Rovers 0-1 Dublin City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kingp35 wrote:
    Dublin City take the lead

Current Score
    Shamrock Rovers 0-1 Dublin City

How come this isnt on tv?Setanta are showing Cork V Derry, whats the point of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

FT:

Rovers 1 - 2 Dublin City

Friday is gonna be rockin! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Definitely going on Friday, make or break for Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Congrats to Dublin City and the best of luck to them for Friday night :)

rovers will rue missed chances and a sloppy attitude towards the game, some questionable tactics (lobbing balls into space, etc). dub city had a good attitude towards the game the really brought it to the hoops and settled really quickly, dubs never looked great in the back but were never really questioned by rovers, it was more rovers being worse than dublin city than the dubs worring rovers, the dubs made it 1-0 just on the cusp of half time no.3 scored, nothing special to be honest. rovers started well in the 2nd half but seemed to fade and showed little urgency, barry murphy (goalkeeper) was subbed at 50mins having played an amazing 35-40mins injured.

after contunied hoops pressure they nearly scored rattling the crossbar, rovers equalised through billyboy from the spot he really started the crowd going, the dubs seemed to want a draw but got a scrappy second 10min from time, hoops pushed but were never likely to score, it sets up a tenious 2nd leg

just for the record, trevor molly was dier in the 1st half played well in the 2nd, sheridan was poor through out and was replaced by roache who never got going, willo mcdonnagh was poor, tracey, rutherford and o'conner seemed to be the only players playing like it was do or die, all in all rovers were far too casual to deserve anything from the game

How many CHF fans were there?

Really hope Rovers can turn this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Do away goals count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 header

we will turn it around in the 2nd leg shamrockrovers aint going down:D

header wrote:
    we will turn it around in the 2nd leg shamrockrovers aint going down:D

Were not dead yet not by a long shot!!!!!!

Have faith !!!

Nuttzz wrote:
    Do away goals count?

For some odd reason, no. Just as well for Shams I suppose!

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    For some odd reason, no. Just as well for Shams I suppose!

Haha, probably cos neither really has a home!

gimmick wrote:
    How many CHF fans were there?

Really hope Rovers can turn this round.

150 tops - and at the biggest game of their season. As my mate pointed out, they almost had more drums than fans. It will be a disaster for the league if Rovers go down, but unless we show more fight and heart on the pitch on Friday, that's what will happen. It's disgraceful that they were outfought by what is really a second rate team.

Nice to see Dave McGill refuse to celebrate his goal though, he's a big Hoop and goes to dozens of Rovers games each season, must be a head-wrecker for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

they almost had more drums than fans. It will be a disaster for the league if Rovers go down

Coming from the one team who more than others seek to make up for a lack of numbers with colour and noise, that's hilarious.

The league doesn't need any Rovers team, strong or otherwise. The Premier Division is about the Cork-Derry-Shels rivalry. Rovers are an irrelevance and would be more appreciated in the First Division. The First Division is a graveyard, and if anything, it is them who need a strong Rovers side, to re-ignite interest in domestic football in places like Limerick. I'm sure the locals are sharpening their blades already... ;)

You joke about it, but that is a worry. The local headcases in places like Limerick will be out for trouble as soon as Rovers roll into town in order to 'prove' themselves.

But regardless of that, if you seriously think that Dublin City would be better for the league than Shamrock Rovers then you're just plain wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

You joke about it, but that is a worry. The local headcases in places like Limerick will be out for trouble as soon as Rovers roll into town in order to 'prove' themselves.

But regardless of that, if you seriously think that Dublin City would be better for the league than Shamrock Rovers then you're just plain wrong.

OK well then, tell you what, we won't have a play-off, Rovers have more fans and a longer history, so we'll let them stay in the Premier Division.

It's not about the history, it's about who can win a football match. And right now, the Rovers players have to prove they're good enough. Cheap shots at Dublin City and their support aren't going to do anything.

Tomorrows game is on Setanta, kick off 8.05pm

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote:
    OK well then, tell you what, we won't have a play-off, Rovers have more fans and a longer history, so we'll let them stay in the Premier Division.

It's not about the history, it's about who can win a football match. And right now, the Rovers players have to prove they're good enough. Cheap shots at Dublin City and their support aren't going to do anything.

no your right but, dublin city bring very little in the way of football and support, agreed rovers have been in a lull for awhile but we all know that they will come back that it is money problems and off the field issues that have seen to rovers demise, dublin city will never be nor ever have been a force in the EL, they will drop straight down if the beat us tomorrow.

no club is too big to be relegated and at the moment our history is a burden to us having only won 1 important domestic trophey since our departure from milltown (our 15th League Title). but i honestly believe that every team in the EL loves to play rovers every set of fans loves the atmosphere wether you love to love us or love to hate us we stir the emotion of all supporters, look at some of the posts wanting us to drop thats real emotion, some local derbies dont even match up to when those teams play us,

we are rovers, no one likes us, we dont care.
    we are here to stay rovers will win 2-0 friday bohs/shels/pats/dubs/derry/waterford/longford/bray etc etc etc. all gutted

blu_sonic wrote:
    but i honestly believe that every team in the EL loves to play rovers every set of fans loves the atmosphere wether you love to love us or love to hate us we stir the emotion of all supporters, look at some of the posts wanting us to drop thats real emotion, some local derbies dont even match up to when those teams play us,

we are rovers, no one likes us, we dont care.
    we are here to stay rovers will win 2-0 friday bohs/shels/pats/dubs/derry/waterford/longford/bray etc etc etc. all gutted

But it would only be for a year or 2, i love this next part when i impart the rumours i hear from a mate in the 400 club :D

[rumour]Rovers new full time manager will have extensive knowledge of the LSL as its where all your players will be from as unless they play for free next season they wont be playing for Rovers[/rumour]

If its not cold morrow i be heading over to Tolka to hopefully witness the end of Rovers. Its alright tho when you die as a club you come back just cheaper and crapper. Oh joyous times are are upon us!!!

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    But it would only be for a year or 2, i love this next part when i impart the rumours i hear from a mate in the 400 club :D

[rumour]Rovers new full time manager will have extensive knowledge of the LSL as its where all your players will be from as unless they play for free next season they wont be playing for Rovers[/rumour]

If its not cold morrow i be heading over to Tolka to hopefully witness the end of Rovers. Its alright tho when you die as a club you come back just cheaper and crapper. Oh joyous times are are upon us!!!

kdjac

sad that your team can't provide enough to its fans that you feel you need to witness the demise of a once great team, i feel sorry for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaC wrote:
    If its not cold morrow i be heading over to Tolka
    Barstooler :D
    blu_sonic wrote:
    sad that your team can't provide enough to its fans that you feel you need to witness the demise of a once great team, i feel sorry for you
    Something about this.

It's not that people don't "get enough" from their own respective clubs, but simply a dislike of Rovers.

This season thay have used the courts to gain an unfair advantage in the league. Whatever spin the 400 Club puts on it, Rovers had debts wiped that otherwise would have seen them fold as a club. It matters not who accrued those debts, as at the end of the day it was Shamrock Rovers Football Club who in fact accrued the debts. Be it former directors or board members is immaterial, it was still the club. I know people who were directly affected by the findings. People I know lost thousands of euro to the club. Albeit they are fans, and gave the money to the club they love, but at the end of the day the club are now not required to pay the debt back.

Lets say another club, Cork City for instance, decided next season that they couldn't sustain their wage bill. Would you be happy for them to keep the players they have, and possibly win the league, all the while not paying off debts? In fact having those debts wiped?

This and the fact that Rovers, be in under the guise of the 400 Club, or otherwise in the past never admit to the fact that a section of their support is nothing but troublemakers. Fans of every other club are accused of lying when after another friday night of thuggish behaviour by this section of fans we report it. People I know were set upon in a random attack after one game. But of course in the eyes of Rovers fans, it never happened.

You may call me a liar, but the incident happen, and it is not, and never has been an isolated incident.

Bateman you are obviously deluded. Of course the league needs Rovers but its up to the players to keep us in the top flight. If they dont so be it.

CHF bring zero to the league. ZERO. Your clown of a chairman wanted wimbledon here for christs sake.

Kdjac I heard a rumour that pigs fly too. Rumours are exactly that rumours. Say hi to your "mate".

Seansouth we didnt go to court to gain an unfair advantage ffs. We went to court to save our club. There are people all over the country who are owed thousands from all of the other clubs.

As for your attempt to smear us as troublemakers it is laughable. The club have banned people who have caused trouble this season. If that is not admitting head on that we have a MINORITY of troublemakers I dont know what is. Boez have caused trouble 2 weeks in a row yet are those people barred?

What will the media do if we get relegated? No more stories to make up.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

best of luck to rovers tonight, hope they can do the biz and stay up..

seansouth wrote:
    Barstooler :D

This season thay have used the courts to gain an unfair advantage in the league.

....oh .....oh ....the nerve ....
    Kdjac I heard a rumour that pigs fly too. Rumours are exactly that rumours. Say hi to your "mate".

Odd how i knew Roddy was being suspended a month before it happened, see if the new 400 club were any better than the old board they wouldnt do A) try and tempt CYM Terenures manager to manage Rovers for only one game in the last week of the season, B) make this public knowledge by telling people in a pub :rolleyes: Long live the new board....eh?

As for your attempt to smear us as troublemakers it is laughable. The club have banned people who have caused trouble this season. If that is not admitting head on that we have a MINORITY of troublemakers I dont know what is. Boez have caused trouble 2 weeks in a row yet are those people barred?

Oh dear the old chestnut.... Why dont you play your games in Richmond? We need the money and you need a home? Hardly a minority that killed that was it?

Cba going over tonight too cold out.

kdjac

Advertisement