Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear

Options
  • 20-11-2005 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Has anyone played fear ? whats it like and is it worth the 30 euro ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If your pc can handle it, its well worth 30 euor.

Where is it 30 euro assume online as game still have it for 50.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

ye on cd wow. ive an aw so no worries

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh, what's the deal with store charging 50 for pc games now, it wasn't long ago there were all 40 euros even in game.

sorry for off topicness, i'd love to get the game but it wouldn't run on either of my systems (desktop: p4 3ghz 1gig ram 9800pro)(lappy: 2ghz A64 1gig ram x700)

ive a gforce go 6800 that shud be ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I found it the most mundane game in history, in comparison Doom3 is both prettier, scarier, and has more variety (the last 2 of which, Doom3 didnt have much of). I played about 6-8 hours of it, and have to date found 5 types of enemies, 3 are the same and have only met one of the others twice, and the other on maybe 3 seperate occasions. The guns are equally mundane, you only get decent amounts of ammo for the AR, SMG, and shotgun, the SMG is pants next to the assault rifle, so I cant say I ever really carried one around much. All the other guns you get here and there, but never with enough ammo to be of much notice. Id say ignore this game entirely, definately not worth €50.

• Advertisement

nice review any one else. i need to buy a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cremo wrote:
    yeh, what's the deal with store charging 50 for pc games now, it wasn't long ago there were all 40 euros even in game.

sorry for off topicness, i'd love to get the game but it wouldn't run on either of my systems (desktop: p4 3ghz 1gig ram 9800pro)(lappy: 2ghz A64 1gig ram x700)

I got it running on an X300 @800x600 medium. 6800 will run it grand.
    Search os broken here but there was a huge thread extolling its virtues but some just dont like it. Good solid fps with a few nice scary moments.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Not sure what game Pugsley was playing, wouldn't use any of those descriptions for FEAR. Loved it myself, well worth 30 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Pugsley is on acid if he thinks doom 3 is a better game tbh. Fear is a great game. The ai is superb, the particle effects ect are amazing especially in slow mo and it at least tries to create some atmosphere and storyline. Really how did you find this game mundane and repeditive and not doom 3? Probably the best fps since hl2 and it's well worth 30e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Pugsley wrote:
    in comparison Doom3 is scarier, and has more variety.

No way!

Doom 3 is neither scarier nor has more variety than FEAR!
    In Doom 3 you walk into a room and you instantly know that you'll have to kill one monster in front, and then, surprise surprise, another will appear right behind you - over and over and over again.

To me, that's not variety, and not scary either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

€50? Game have all their new and newish releases on display for €55.
    Cremo wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I didn't find it scary at all, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Cremo wrote:

It ran quite happily on lowish detail settings (while still looking nyom) on my xp2000 1gb ram and 9800pro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yep, this is a great game, although I have put it on the back burner temporarily whilst I play my way through COD2, which is bloody great too I might add.

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

good game bloody tough at times too, i still have to use the slo-mo thing keep forgetting to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭TheStrandRoads

Cannot recommend this game enough. The AI is stunning. Gameplay top-notch. The music is also great. Doesn't play continously, instead builds atmosphere.

Definitely best shooter since HL2.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Doom3 is better looking and scarier but FEAR is a better game. The AI is excellent which makes the game for me!

I can't think of anything that really stood out graphicaly and I think both Doom 3 and Half Life 2 which are both over a year old still look alot better. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Doom3 is neither better looking nor scarier. doom relied purely on darkness, and shock value. FEAR has tension, great athmosphere, and some of the best set pieces ever made...and it has a little girl in a red dress...nothing is scarier.

probably my favourite game of the year so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

BloodBath wrote:
    Pugsley is on acid if he thinks doom 3 is a better game tbh.
    tbh, I think you could be on to something here...
    If Pugsley was on acid he'd have spent 10 hours staring at that cool burst-gas-pipe-shimmer effect in DOOM3, giggling and going "woah".
    Where as the poltergeist girl from FEAR would have freaked him right the fuuk out. :eek:
    Drugs 'r baad m'kaay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

I left out Far Cry, which is all so graphicaly more impressive and almost 2 years older than FEAR!

If you like Boxes you'll love the level design in FEAR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I think you all missed the point in the comparison to Doom3, Doom3 was awful, FEAR, is worse :)

I fail to see this stunning AI either, they just run at you, and have a few scripted things to jump over walls and things, which they bugger up more than once, seen more than one guy get himself stuck when trying to jump over a wall. The problem with the scare tactics, is they used them all in the demo, girl appears, you hear voices, 'OH NOES!', then you see people who disintegrate when you run near them, oh the humanity, that really is about it for scare tactics (doom3 wasnt scarey either, but at least now and again it could surprise you). And as for graphics, while I will admit the models, both first and third person ones, do look very good, its ruined by boring mapping, it really looks like the mappers put in absolutely no effort to make the maps look decent, compare the maps to something like Quake4, and its simply funny how inferior to mapping is in FEAR, its awful, most custom maps look better, so while the graphics are good by and large, the maps are dire, and they make up about 90% of what your looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i think pugsley ur talkin out of ur a**e. the a.i. in Fear is the best i've ever seen. they simply just dont hop over barriers and such. they rush u, they use boxes and walls very well for cover and they attack u from differents sides at the same time and in numbers. listening to u, sounds like u never played it, had one look at the demo and made ur judgements on that. all doom3 did was look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I wasn't really taken with either game tbh... let's just agree to disagree about agreeing that they're both shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Anyone who said FEAR is shìte is silly.
    Type of people who, when light transport get's invented and you can teleport to Mars in .5 of a milisecond, will say "Meh, I could probably walk it faster."

AI is the best I've seen in a long, long time. What Pugsley was saying about it is how it reacts (vaguely) on the easy setting. Boost it to hard and see how stupid they are.
    As for the graphics, granted they "could" be better, but as it stands, I'd compare it to HL2 easily. Again, what the non-sayers are saying, is how it looks on the lower end of the settings spectrum.
    Gameplay: Weapons are excellent. You may think that, eg. the SMG is a piece of crap, but when you start playing multiplayer (and even in SP a good bit too) you'll notice that the SMG is mighty mighty handy, it's light enough not to restrict you're running, and it's high rate of fire makes up for it's lack of power. As for lack of ammo, only once or twice have I noticed it, and that was me shooting at walls for fun aswell.

To sum up, this game kicks the bejesus out of Doom 3. Doom 3 sucked, like really, really sucked. I'd say Far Cry'd only be just below the level of FEAR, it is a very good game, but FEAR's better. HL2 is on par with it.

So to the OP, the game is well worth buying, a 6800 would handle it with a few settings turned down but still having it very pretty.

'Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Finished it recently on the second highest difficulty. I wish I'd gone for the highest, it still seemed a bit easy.

Anyway, a good solid game, I thought. Not a large amount of variety in the enemies, true, but they make good use of them. Those heavy armoured blokes with the pigsticker rifles are great.

And it was BLOODY creepy, but only when I was in the right mood. It's great with the lights down, sound up, and no other sounds in the house, late at night. I HATE that little girl. the wee b*tch popped up at the most inappropriate times, and at the end is really rather disturbing.

Wide open for a sequel, it seems. I shall be keeping an eye out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭BKtje

Its a good game but no where near as good as some people make it out to be.

Its ridculously easy (yes on the hardest setting) and i "jumped" in all of 2 moments in the whole game (1 near start and 1 in middle). Its not scary and doom3 created a much better atmosphere. The AI is superb and the graphics are fairly decent but the levels are very very samey. Even more so than doom for me. The story is okish but there was many a time when i couldnt be arsed going further anymore cos of the same old same old killing. Just too few enemy types really with not enough difficulty. Thats a quick rundown of what top expect.

Dont get me wrong, i did enjoy playing it but there could have been so much more done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

blahblah I've been playing quake4 lately, and if like me you enjoy nipping in and out of a game and blasting things ... maybe 30minutes->1hour at a time I can't fault it...

Good old fashioned fun :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I was looking forward to fear for a long time but i was disappointed by it. AI is good no question ( except towards the end when there seemed to be none - if you finished it you'll know the sequence ) but it lacked variety both in terms of enemies and levels.

The level design was not quite as good as Doom3 in terms of how much is going on in the background but oveall FEAR is the better game.

Overall though it seemed a step backwards in the direction games were going considering the innovation that went into Far Cry, then Half Life 2.

It all seemed to lack a little atmosphere.

Also it seemed a little too hard on the system considering its visual effects. It seemed to be constantly pausing while fetching new textures.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Dissappointed with FEAR have to say although its still not a total write off.

Graphics did little for me other than the partical effects. Gun damage affects on a wall were grand until you looked at them a close angle. Everything else was just bland as was the enemies and guns. Story was all over the shop with mutiplay threads stop, start story telling but not not combining into a satisfactory ending or providing a satisfactory conclusion to a single story thread. Not even remotely frighting and ridiculously easy and I want true it on the hardest setting and was never really challenged. I don't recall repeating a single area more than twice. Game runs like a dog even on a good spec machine despite looking so so.

Least the firefights are quite enjoyable. Combat saves the days just about.
    Best FPS since half life 2....I did not rate that highly either. Prefered other FPS in the mutiplayer arena such as BF2 and DOD Source...which regardless of being mutiplayer games are FPS all the same. I don't give an arse about those single modes....but thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭BKtje

Azza seeing as you have a fairly similar view as myself, did ya ever play the mp for fear? I never could be bothered but am wondering if it was any better.

Advertisement