Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

JCDenton wrote:
    No way!

Doom 3 is neither scarier nor has more variety than FEAR!
    In Doom 3 you walk into a room and you instantly know that you'll have to kill one monster in front, and then, surprise surprise, another will appear right behind you - over and over and over again.

To me, that's not variety, and not scary either

I found doom scarie. I could never play the game any longer then one hour most times only 30mins and just needed to give it a rest. I know 2 other people that said the same thing so you must be hard as nails with the old nerves. I found it was all down to the sound in doom3 that shocked you. My sound is very good and also have headphones, the other 2 guys would also have the same sound set up as me.

Have Fear but as of yet only played 10mins of it. What i have seen is that the picture quality is not as good. But this i would think is down to the fact that i dont have all the settings up to high. My computer just can do it but as for doom and HL2 the settings would be at the top so they looked better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

True, I was probably a bit harsh with Doom 3 there. There were indeed moments where a monster leaping from the shadows made me jump - but like I said before; it just kept happening over and over again.

FEAR (to me anyway) is more of a hollywood, mindless action game, with snippets of "The Ring" and other films thrown in, to build up tension; not really the same idea as Doom's shock tactics.

I guess it just comes down to preference; a UT vs. Q3 argument.

I just prefer FEAR, that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Meh. Doom 3 wasn't scary. I played it in the dark, on my own, with headphones on, and it was only scary for about 30-40 minutes (and only because things jumped out of nowhere and made you jump), after that it was just repetitive monster-closets-galore. Cheap scares. It stopped being scary and became dull.

I guess it's up to preference really, but I'd pick FEAR over Doom 3 any day of the week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

they both still have alot to learn from the freakiest game ever, system shock 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Kiith wrote:
    and it has a little girl in a red dress...nothing is scarier.

Maybe a falling Elevator........ nearly fell off my bloody seat.

1st = F.E.A.R
    2nd = HL2/FARCRY
    3rd = DOOM 3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i spilled my coke all over my keyboard that time you see her crawling from under the table on all fours...shudder. even thinking about it is freaking me out.

or when you see her near the end of the game :( too scary

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Spike wrote:
    AI is the best I've seen in a long, long time. What Pugsley was saying about it is how it reacts (vaguely) on the easy setting. Boost it to hard and see how stupid they are.
    As for the graphics, granted they "could" be better, but as it stands, I'd compare it to HL2 easily. Again, what the non-sayers are saying, is how it looks on the lower end of the settings spectrum.
    Gameplay: Weapons are excellent. You may think that, eg. the SMG is a piece of crap, but when you start playing multiplayer (and even in SP a good bit too) you'll notice that the SMG is mighty mighty handy, it's light enough not to restrict you're running, and it's high rate of fire makes up for it's lack of power. As for lack of ammo, only once or twice have I noticed it, and that was me shooting at walls for fun aswell.

Was playing on hard, and no the game isnt hard, if you compare the difficulty of this to the likes of Brothers in Arms (currently playing earned in blood), its silly really, in the 8 hours of it I played before uninstalling it (better things to put on my HDD's), I died a whopping once, and that was the first time I met a heavy, didnt expect it to survive a full clip from a shotty, however once you know how tough they are, you shortly figure out how stupid they are, they dont hide behind ANYTHING, even a box would cover about half of them, they just run straight at you at 0.5mph, generally I just ignore them, kill all their friends and just pick them off, if they even hit you once your doing something wrong.

Ill agree the SMG has its use's in MP, MP in the game was actually quite fun, but utterly uninventive and just 'more of the same', but Im rating the game on its SP, which is what the game is designed around by the look of things MP was just added as an after thought, most of the maps are just modified areas of the SP game, and in SP, the SMG is pants beside the AR. And the lack of ammo comment, if you read it, was that only 3 guns get a decent amount of ammo (and they have infinate ammo, give or take), the rest of the guns you get scraps of ammo now and again.

As for the scareyness of Doom3, it seems to vary from person to person a LOT, mate of mine was scared sh*tless by it, yet most people arent really phased at all, apart from the odd shock moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i really liked it, take out the slow-mo, melee and scare value and your left with an average game but those three features really make it a great game

i'm running a 6800 aswell and it coped really well with it, could play it on 1024x768 medium quality with a little bit of AA and still have high framerates

oh and the directors edition commentary was cool aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

well cleared fear now and i liked it. Did it in 2 days about 10 or so hours of play maybe a little more. Loved the music and just the game over all. Much better then Doom and im a big fan of Doom " Going to watch the movie when its out ".

Anyway its worth playing if you have not played it to date and if you love FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Just got it for christmas, i'm having great fun with it! really intense, finding myself screaming **** OFF a lot lol :D

And that creepy kid, tried to pop a cap in her ass, to no avail :P

oh and runs fine for me on my, amd64 3500+, 1gb ram and radeon pcie 850pro on high detail ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

azezil wrote:
    oh and runs fine for me on my, amd64 3500+, 1gb ram and radeon pcie 850pro on high detail ^_^

GO GEEK FEATURES!!!!

Of course it would run perfect...look at your system. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

I thinking of buying FEAR myself, will it run on a 6600gt..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Is it really worth going through a second time? It was entertaining first time round but I know the plot and everything. Is there anything like a alt. ending I should be going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Dubsmax wrote:
    I thinking of buying FEAR myself, will it run on a 6600gt..
    works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I got bored of this game pretty quickly. I had just finished playing FarCry and HL2 so my standards were pretty high (not to mention the pre-release hype). FEAR felt like a polished version of the bad parts of those 2 games.

Yeah the A.I. was decent but did feel scripted. I had played the multiplayer demo for a few weeks and absolutely loved it. But the final release had a few tweaks that just took the fun out of it IMO.

So I took it out of the CD drive never for it to return...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It was a thriller game with scarey bits added on the edge. By no means did it scare me as much as The Grudge or The Ring but because of those 2 films I was a bit jumpy.

The slow motion combined with the hand to hand and scatter effects really worked well in places. I'd often find myself quickloading a part of the game to to try something in slowmo that I thought would look cooler. For example: rushing around a corner at a 3 man enemy unit, kicking in slowmo, tossing a grenade behind them, flying kick to the frontmans head gun to kill the second guy, turn off slowmo, then watch as the third guy falls to the ground dead from the grenade:)

The prequel movie and the game commentry on the CD were a good bonus aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Finished FEAR 2 days ago and was really impressed. The fire fights are brilliant, from the AI (Best since the soldiers in the original half life) to the dust thrown into the air when you hit a pillar.

The atmosphere is also class, they do a great job of building tension and more than once a shiver ran up my spine or I jumped out of my seat. Make sure you play in the dark :)

In saying all this it is a bitch to run and will stress you system. Lowering the graphics setting's make impact on your gaming experience.

Its defiantly in my top 5 FPS. Right up there with Half Life, Far Cry, Half Life 2 and Call of Duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

FEAR is excellent!! as stated before if your pc can handle it its a great game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

just started it.

like it so far but i found it a bitch to install...seemed to conflict with practically every virtual drive/nero thing i had.

christ copy protection pisses me off so much.

****ing easier not to buy the fuking thing and just download it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I thought it was decent but predictable. Also while nice the vsiuals did not justify the resource usage imho. (It's kind've like when Doom3 and Hl2 came out, Doom3 was a bit more advanced visually but ran more slowly to a level that did not seem to remotely match the dif. in graphic quality). The whole young-long-haired girl appearing and disappearing thing is just too old imho. I guess if you haven't already watched a mash of japanese horrors it will grip you, otherwise it's yawn worthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I’ve got to say its grown on me. So much so I’ve nearly completed the game a 2nd time, and I’m enjoying finding new ways to beat challenges like the turrets (used to shoot them from range, now I race in, get inside their turn radius and waste them without ever getting hit which is fun)

I liked the demo but thought it was going to be repetitive in terms of slowmoing to kill bad guys, hiding behind corners to charge up again and go another time. Well it is in that sense. All my fire fights go that way because the super speed/jerky animations on extreme difficulty make it very hard to survive longer than 8 seconds without using slowmo. I rarely get a chance to use the melee either because again, you’ll get milled out of it most times before you make contact. I don’t understand people who say they never died in the game? Either they’re playing it on an easier setting than I am or they’re superhuman gods - or more than likely were talking liberal use of the reload function.

Spoilers ahead....
    That said, the reviews complained about repetitive enemies and no variety. In terms of the basic grunts, yeah, they’re the basic grunts and you’ll encounters squads of them throughout the game carrying various weaponry, much like the Combine in HL2. Only their AI is better, so they present a decent challenge throughout.. On the other hand you’ve got the cloaked ninjas who show up in excellent combat vignettes, gun turrets, the heavy troopers, those flying laser robots, those ED-209 guys, and the various ghosts Alma sends after you, both in the dream sequences and the finale of the game. Were they expecting the Noah’s ark of game enemies?

There’s also the weapons which are fantastic imo - better than HL2s in most cases. The Penetrator I never bothered with in the first run, but its great fun to pin bodies against doors, ceilings, walls, desks etc etc. The shotgun needs no introduction, it completely shreds people at close range, mines, remote detonated nades, that laser/sniper that leaves only charred skeletons behind, the auto cannon with the explosive shells. There’s just so many ways to take on the bad guys.
    The only downsides is that the story is poorly told - I often missed these scary scenes because the game doesn’t help you notice them. I hear the creepy whine over the coms, and I’m desperately looking around for the scary scene....nope. Too late, its gone. I’m getting sick of the mute lead characters in games these days- Betters is asking about Jankowski for most of the first half of the game and it never occurs for your character to say "Hey, Jankowski is dead - just call it a hunch" despite his ghost stalking you. If you want to know why Fettel is eating people, you’ll need to read a comic book because the game never tells you. Harlan Wade desperately warns his daughter Alice to get out of her office before the Replicas show up, but he’s not bothered at all by her rather messy death at the hands of Fettel later. Certainly he’s more concerned with Alma than Alice. The Jar Jar Binks of the game is Norton Mapes, who is extremely irritating, has lousy theme music in all his scenes and is happily shot dead later, but you are denied the opportunity to be the one doing the shooting. And of course, the game blabs the most important facet of the story - that you’re a result of the project involving Alma - inside the first 5 minutes of the game.

The game just isn’t scary either - tense yes, scary no. Quite simply, its very hard to scare gamers when they have total control of the environment and can reload easily.

Id rate FEAR as being only slightly worse than HL2, mostly down the greater variety in HL2s levels and story being far better told in HL2. I think there was a real opportunity missed in not having squad mates helping you in at least some of the battles. The AI was there to do it, and I loved fighting alongside the resistance fighters in HL2. On the other hand it didn’t have any truly frustrating levels like the canals in HL2 with the %$$£^%$$%^%$^%$^$£% gunship which you couldn’t do a damn thing about for 15-20 minutes of play. Or crappy game mechanics like gunships taking 5 hits, but you can only carry 3 rockets at a time. And the slow mo leads to some truly "YES!" moments where you take out like 4 or 5 guys in a matter of split-seconds.

Advertisement