Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

finally cena is booed

• 20-11-2005 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

at the point on sat nite i finally got to lay into cena and i wasnt alone, also saw some nice signs cena sucks, cena is a langer.
    great stuff!!!!!!!!!
    i booed him every chance i got it was funny having the kids turn around and stare in amazement!!!!!!
    cena sucks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Why was he booed because of the whole Gangsta Rap persona?

He is not bad wreslter all the same though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

No I would think its because he's the one the worst wrestlers EVER!!. He has no moves of worth I think off, The FU maybe the worst finisher ever, its a body slam for god sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

The Americans seem to lap up his gimmick every week, but then again they are American.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

You always notice at PPV's people booing him. And especially Canadians. They know their wrestling!

Cena isn't that bad a wrestler, it's just that he doesn't deserve the title, and the style he's been forced to wrestle is crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Give the guy a break: he's doing his best to put on good matches for all of us fans and to entertain us. He has a good gimick which he plays very well; he's over with all the youngsters; and he has cross over appeal that generates attention for WWE and wrestling in general, which can only be good for business. He may not be the greatest worker, but all of the pluses mentioned above are enough for him to deserve a shot with the title.

Batista isn't really any better a worker than Cena and ya don't hear people booing him or posting on this forum that he should be booed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Yeah, I was one of the people cheering on Cena, and I'm pretty sure I have at least the same (if not more) intelligence as many of the people cheering on Angle. A couple of years ago everyone was all about the cena, but as soon as he gets the belt people start turning against him. He may not be the greatest wrestler around, but neither was The Rock, or Hulk Hogan, but he is entertaining and does pull out some good moves when needs be.

Or would folks prefer to have Triple H hold the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Give the guy a break: he's doing his best to put on good matches for all of us fans and to entertain us. He has a good gimick which he plays very well; he's over with all the youngsters; and he has cross over appeal that generates attention for WWE and wrestling in general, which can only be good for business. He may not be the greatest worker, but all of the pluses mentioned above are enough for him to deserve a shot with the title.

Batista isn't really any better a worker than Cena and ya don't hear people booing him or posting on this forum that he should be booed.

It's strange because of the two current champs, Dave has gotten better while Jhn just seems to get worse. Think back.

Remember Dave vs Kane at his first Armageddon Dave was terrible, moves were sloppy, he was out of his league. And why, Dave was signed without ever actually having wrestled for any scouts. They just knew they could market him and look at him now, solid ring work, great performances he has worked his ass off and come on in leaps and bounds.

Now lets look at John, his first match was against Kurt Angel ( his second match was also against Kurt ) and the young lad wrestled out of his skin. His moves were crisp, he had speed, it was all great. NOW he is lazy in the ring, takes a beaten, does a side walk slam, five knuckle shuffle ( pain-full ) and then the FU ( terrible move, anyone who ever took or recevied the origninal Death Valley Driver must laugh when they see it.

The difference is huge.

Cena has all the potential in the world, but until they take that belt of him he will never need to tap it.

Oh yeah, and look at Orton??? He may be a prick but man is he ever trying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Dragan wrote:
    Now lets look at John, his first match was against Kurt Angel ( his second match was also against Kurt ) and the young lad wrestled out of his skin. His moves were crisp, he had speed, it was all great. NOW he is lazy in the ring, takes a beaten, does a side walk slam, five knuckle shuffle ( pain-full ) and then the FU ( terrible move, anyone who ever took or recevied the origninal Death Valley Driver must laugh when they see it.

The difference is huge.

Cena has all the potential in the world, but until they take that belt of him he will never need to tap it.

Oh yeah, and look at Orton??? He may be a prick but man is he ever trying!

I definately agree with you about Orton: I think he should be given a title run sometime soon in spite of the fact that he is supposedly a p***k.

Criticisms of Cena are fine and probably justified, but i do think its unfair to boo the guy out of the building when he is clearly playing face.

When looking at his first matches, you must remember that they were against Kurt Angle before his neck got completely messed up. Angle, who is one of the finest workers around (amazing that he still is with his health problems) has carried Cena to several decent matches throughout his career. Having seen some of Cena's matches in OVW (2001), I cant really say that he was ever much better than he currently is.

His offense, as weak as it is, is his trademark set of moves. WWE expects its wrestlers to do the same moves in every match - look at every WWE superstar: same moves in practically every match (with maybe a unique move thrown in now and again for a big match).

Maybe Cena will be more motivated and try harder to improve when they eventually take the belt off him. What may prevent him from doing so is that he will probably always be in the main event picture due to the fact that Vince is a big fan of his: only time will tell. For his sake i hope he'll work hard in the future

Here here brother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I definately agree with you about Orton: I think he should be given a title run sometime soon in spite of the fact that he is supposedly a p***k.

Criticisms of Cena are fine and probably justified, but i do think its unfair to boo the guy out of the building when he is clearly playing face.

When looking at his first matches, you must remember that they were against Kurt Angle before his neck got completely messed up. Angle, who is one of the finest workers around (amazing that he still is with his health problems) has carried Cena to several decent matches throughout his career. Having seen some of Cena's matches in OVW (2001), I cant really say that he was ever much better than he currently is.

His offense, as weak as it is, is his trademark set of moves. WWE expects its wrestlers to do the same moves in every match - look at every WWE superstar: same moves in practically every match (with maybe a unique move thrown in now and again for a big match).

Maybe Cena will be more motivated and try harder to improve when they eventually take the belt off him. What may prevent him from doing so is that he will probably always be in the main event picture due to the fact that Vince is a big fan of his: only time will tell. For his sake i hope he'll work hard in the future

Unfair to boo the guy when he is being a babyface! Comon! I paid 65 euro for a ticket and one of the things it entitles me to do is to cheer for the wrestlers I like and boo the hell out of those I don't like. If anything having two camps one pro Angle the other pro Cena added to the match rather than take anything away from it.
    Its all about credibility. Cena has a load of potential but right now most fans can see that he's still very limited in the ring at this stage. Plus I think toning down his gimmick has made it stale.
    To be fair to him and the WWE a large proportion of the audience there largely in the 6-12 bracket were just to see Cena. He was the guy that was used on all the promotional stuff so he does have a value. If I was the WWE I 'd drop the title off him and be a step below the title picture while keeping him face. Peoplel might resent him less when he's not being shoved down peoples throat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

WDK wrote:
    Why was he booed because of the whole Gangsta Rap persona?

He is not bad wreslter all the same though.

no he is booed coz he is a fake bum he is white for god sake. if he was black you would say fine as that is what the majority of gangsta rappers are.
    kurt angle is clearly 1000000000000000000000times better and deserves to be the champion and a babyface as it is amazing, that with the injuries he has which are quite serious he wrestles day in day out and gives 100per cent every time.
    fair point he may not sell much clothes and rap c.ds as cena but i am sure the likes of hbk and hhh could.
    btw my opinion of hhh has changed after that match with hbk and flair, didnt think hed be so humble

I was just thinking about when Cena really started to get under my skin, it was his raps that did it. When he started doing those raps on SD, they were entertaining and funny. He was in some feuds that suited him and I didn't mind seeing him on my tv. It's when all his raps started to change to implying that his opponent was gay that it started going wrong for him, I think. He went up on the card and his character got stupid. He's a lot more predictable now

Simple fact is there are maybe three people on Raw right now who deserve to be champ, and Cena ain't one of em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Dragan wrote:
    Simple fact is there are maybe three people on Raw right now who deserve to be champ, and Cena ain't one of em.

Another simple fact, the most important one, is that Cena at the moment is the only guy who can be a convincing top face. HBK and Flair's popularity goes without saying, but they are not the future of the company by any means (Michaels is obviously capable of carrying the company as a charismatic face, who has the skills the match, but may only possibly get one last title run, if that). Angle, although very charismatic and funny (and obviously top dog in terms of wrestling skills) didn’t work very well as a face champ about four years ago, much better as a heel. HHH may never work as a face again, it just wouldn’t work anymore. So who's left? Y2J? Even if he comes back, he's never gonna be top face again. Like Benoit (And I love both of them) his run as champ is over I think. Kane? Big Show?.Edge? Didn’t think so.
    Every knows who the really talented guys in terms of wrestling ability are, but there has always been guys who appeal the kids or the fans more into the entertainment side of “Sport Entertainment” rather than the sport (i.e. guys more gimmick/image based than actually skilled technically), and a lot of the time these guys are given the belt (Rock, Diesel, Hogan).
    Of course, at some point, if the boos become so apparent that they cannot be ignored even on TV, then a heel turn / slight gimmick change is inevitable. This would be the best thing in the world for Cena, remember what it did for Rocky Miavia.
    I’m no huge Cena fan, but I don’t find him as annoying as some. But I’ve come to accept over the years that guys like him become successful in the WWE, and often get the belt as well.
    Fans of real wrestlers like Angle, Benoit etc. should get used to this fact or stop watching WWE. Having said that, everyone entitled to pay for their ticket or TV subscription and boo whoever they want, but I get the impression people are booing Cena because it’s cool to boo the hero, they’re booing him because they want him gone. This aint happening anytime soon.

I completely agree with practically all the points you have made , it's just that as a wrestling "purist" i suppose i had issues with Cena having the belt from the start when there is more talent there waiting for a shot.

I only disagree with the part out Trips, he can do a face turn anytime he chooses, and have most of the audience believing it and that just leads to his return to being a heel all the more amusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

btw my opinion of hhh has changed after that match with hbk and flair, didnt think hed be so humble

Whats that about??? Something happen in the tagmatch in the point or what??

He was sort of joking around at times. He also spent a good minute with his arse showing..

As long as it's not on TV, HHH seems to job and let the piss be taken out of him a fair bit.
    I remember reading during Austin's "Sheriff" gimmick, even though he was involved in basically comedy skits with the likes of Bishoff and Simon Dean, they were still ending house shows with him stunning the Game.

As for HHH being a worthy top face, I couldn’t see it working long term. People may buy it as a novelty for a while, as he has some respect and cult status among some fans, but the fact is he’s too convincing as a heel because he’s pretty much an unlikable person in real life. People wouldn’t buy him as a face for long, especially if he went on another title run. Plus, he has said before he doesn’t like playing the face. Remember when he came back after his quad injury in ’02? With Foley gone and Austin and Rock just about finished, he had the perfect chance to a the top face but it just didn’t work as well and sure enough he turned heel again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

reckon they'll have to turn cena heel sooner rather than later, if they want a face champ, give the belt to the big show for a while, or RVD when he makes his return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cactus Col wrote:
    reckon they'll have to turn cena heel sooner rather than later, if they want a face champ, give the belt to the big show for a while, or RVD when he makes his return.

The plan appears to be Cena vs Triple H for the belt at WM22. However the fans seem to be turning on Cena and I just wonder if we'll see a repeat of the Orton situation this time last year with the WWE rushing Cena/Triple H for the Rumble...

• Advertisement

just watched taboo tuesday again. he was booed there as well, he was more enjoyable anyway as a heel the raps were hillarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i'd disagree with you totally d-fens people aren't booing cena cause it's cool to boo the hero, they are booing because every week wwe throws a bunch of codswallop at you and expect you to lap it up, cena owns to many victories over kurt angle, his gimmick has run it's course and has no way of diversifying, rock if you remember (who by the way was way more charismatic) changed things around every so often.even if he just remained a face.
    people aren't booing john cena the wrestler, they are booing john cena the champion, a man's not even in angles league and yet wwe are throwing the belt at him. as for a lack of decent faces, i see shelton benjamen as being bigger than cena, and he's a better wrestler too. rvd will be back soon and too many decent wrestlers were traded or downgraded(hbk gives the newbies their big shot, benoit was buried mid card and traded, kane and big show are novelty acts instead of real behemoths with intentions towards the belt) this is also the creative teams fault.why can't their be 4 or 5 people in the heavyweight championship picture at once, why are they sticking to the 50 year old good guy vs bad guy running fued.

don't forget when cena started he was a good wrestler, but they've stuck him in this gimmick and allowed him no freedom, he never pulls off any of his old moves, this can only be because he was instructed to stay in character and do his 5 moves, people are booing because the champ has become a caricature, like bloomin hogan, at least when trip had the belt he was getting the job done and providing a target for all the faces to take out, with the face as the champ for so long you've basically got an unwritten rule that he's unbeatable, which leads to problems in the future.

You're actually agreeing with me a lot JR, on some things anyway.
    I’d disagree with you totally d-fens people aren't booing cena cause it's cool to boo the hero
    This is actually a typo by me, I meant to say people aren’t booing Cena because it's cool to boo the here, that's why I continued with "People want him gone". My point there was even if someone else was the top face (not necessarily the champ) Cena's character as it is now would still not be popular. I believe this is down to not only his limited wrestling skills ( forced or otherwise) but as much down to his gimmick , which has become lazy and predictable, plus I think a lot of fans either hate rap, or love it but think Cena is a poor representation of it.
    his gimmick has run its course and has no way of diversifying, rock if you remember (who by the way was way more charismatic) changed things around every so often. even if he just remained a face.
    I agree, but I didn’t compare Cena to the Rock, I compared him to Rocky Miavia, who was booed out of the arenas for being completely 1 dimensional and predictable until he thankfully became the successful Rock. Cena, I think could do this with the right gimmick change and direction by the writers. He certainly not a charismatic as you say, but he’s the best WWE have got for the role (my main point in this thread)
    people aren't booing john cena the wrestler, they are booing john cena the champion, at least when trip had the belt he was getting the job done and providing a target for all the faces to take out, with the face as the champ for so long you've basically got an unwritten rule that he's unbeatable, which leads to problems in the future.
    A lot of people agree that the face chasing the heel champ is better than vice versa, Angle certainly does at the moment, but the fact is both have worked in the past , with the right guys. I admit Cena is clearly not the right guy at the moment but that’s down to his character at the moment and the direction it’s being steered in, taking the belt off him is not going to solve that. Do you think people would start cheering for him again if his loses at Survivor Series? Not a chance
    belt) why can't their be 4 or 5 people in the heavyweight championship picture at once, why are they sticking to the 50 year old good guy vs. bad guy running feud.
    Couldn’t agree more, it would create lots of possibilities and as you say have some of the other derserving top guys in the title picture. Having just two guys all the time shows how limited the writer’s abilities are.

I just had to post this, John Cena has never been so entertaining!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7062955446777929754

Fozzy wrote:
    I just had to post this, John Cena has never been so entertaining!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7062955446777929754
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    angle is a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

D-FENS wrote:
    You're actually agreeing with me a lot JR, on some things anyway.

This is actually a typo by me, I meant to say people aren’t booing Cena because it's cool to boo the here, that's why I continued with "People want him gone". My point there was even if someone else was the top face (not necessarily the champ) Cena's character as it is now would still not be popular. I believe this is down to not only his limited wrestling skills ( forced or otherwise) but as much down to his gimmick , which has become lazy and predictable, plus I think a lot of fans either hate rap, or love it but think Cena is a poor representation of it.

I agree, but I didn’t compare Cena to the Rock, I compared him to Rocky Miavia, who was booed out of the arenas for being completely 1 dimensional and predictable until he thankfully became the successful Rock. Cena, I think could do this with the right gimmick change and direction by the writers. He certainly not a charismatic as you say, but he’s the best WWE have got for the role (my main point in this thread)

A lot of people agree that the face chasing the heel champ is better than vice versa, Angle certainly does at the moment, but the fact is both have worked in the past , with the right guys. I admit Cena is clearly not the right guy at the moment but that’s down to his character at the moment and the direction it’s being steered in, taking the belt off him is not going to solve that. Do you think people would start cheering for him again if his loses at Survivor Series? Not a chance

Couldn’t agree more, it would create lots of possibilities and as you say have some of the other derserving top guys in the title picture. Having just two guys all the time shows how limited the writer’s abilities are.

agree with you there, didn't cop the typo, seems we are on the same side of the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Advertisement