Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a DivX DVD Player...

• 20-11-2005 11:43pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, as the thread says, I'm looking for a DivX player to play DivX files from CD-RWS/DVD-RWs etc on my TV. It'd have to support the codecs that my cousin's home tapes use (which I assume are still standard DivX encodings as I've not had to install new codecs in an age).

I know there's a fair range of them but what's a decent one at a decent price? It doesn't need to do anything beyond the DivX playing - I've already got a DVD player and I just want now to be able to view DivXs on something nicer than an old 17" CRT monitor.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

My old elta 8883 did me great until it broke.

I'm getting the Silvercrest one Lidl are putting on sale here in Cork tomorrow for €70.

My cousins tapes played grand on the old one, and this one is based on the same chipset. (it's the Mediatek chipset, which seems to be the best around for a while now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i have the panasonic DVP 5100 and it's great for all the dvd's my cousin send me too, perfect quality. the player was about 95 euros in power city about 3 months ago which included the product recycler fund. probably might be cheaper in the panasonic store on dame/george's street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

im getting a samsung divx player, that uses HDMI.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

If you want the best this is it

http://www.mpcclub.com/banner_log.php?id=35

I have one and the quality is stunning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Cremo wrote:
    i have the panasonic DVP 5100 and it's great for all the dvd's my cousin send me too, perfect quality. the player was about 95 euros in power city about 3 months ago which included the product recycler fund. probably might be cheaper in the panasonic store on dame/george's street.

I have one of these as does another guy at work. We've had a problem that disks don't always eject from the unit. Some times you need to fiddle with it to get the disks out. Maybe ours are flaky though. The other thing is that it only supports short file names.
    TCP/IP wrote:
    If you want the best this is it

http://www.mpcclub.com/banner_log.php?id=35

I have one and the quality is stunning

Where did you get it and how much did it cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah i wanna know aswell, it looks american

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've had 2 different players (both were great), but the thing that ticked me off most about them was the short filename support. It could only display 8 characters for a filename, so it meant renaming everything before burning.

Do any players have LFN support?

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

I have a Lafayette LFDV969 that I picked up from bigpockets.co.uk for £40 - no problems watching any of my (version 4) DivX.

S.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

The Snazio player can be got from http://www.mpcclub.com/

Advertisement