Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Education System

Options
  • 21-11-2005 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hey!!
    I know this is a typical example of the unbelievable irish education system but anyway…….I was in business the other day when someone in the class said they didn’t understand something. This started the teacher off on a big long rant about how shed much prefer us to speak up and say when we dont understand something. Then she said id much prefer if we only have half the course done by the LC and you fully understand it rather than being able to do well in the exam but not understanding it fully. Me and my friends found the idea laughable, but shes RIGHT really isn’t she?!? I mean were all well able to cram it all in b4 a test but really its not understanding, just learning off definitions, diagrams etc.
    The teacher also has me kinda worried shes not gonna finish the course now cause half of my class are the biggest wasters you’ll ever meet and if she tries to make them UNDERSTAND, we havent a hope! I can see us with half the course done the month b4 the LC and her going “this is great girls, you’ll be able to answer half the paper and understand it too, sure you can do the other half of the course next year cause ya wont be goin to college!!!”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I know what you mean. Those who will do best in the LC will be those who can regurgitate as much information crammed into their brain as possible on the day. That's not a measure of intelligence in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Funkstard wrote:
    I know what you mean. Those who will do best in the LC will be those who can regurgitate as much information crammed into their brain as possible on the day. That's not a measure of intelligence in my book.

yeah far too often no one distinguishes between intelligence and academic achievement - they're not always one and the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Reminds me of a very interesting article in the Irish Times a while back...

The whole concept of the LC is incredibly out of date. As we all know the chances of us ever having to understand the majority of LC material after said exam will be minimal. Right now though nothing's going to change so I guess we just have to roll with it.

<Should be studying now... :( >

Advertisement