Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

citroen turbo diesel engines anyway reliable?

Options
  • 21-11-2005 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Would the 1.9turbo diesel engine thats to be found in the citroen xsara, be as reliable as the 1.9D-turbo engine that was in the Pug306. Are these the same engine even? Ive seen 306Dturbos with 170,000 miles on them and am wondering could i expect similar reliability/longtivity out of the citroen unit if i were to buy the Xsara version.

I`d appreciate any feedbk on this. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Of course they're the same engine.
    Have you been living under a rock for the last 20 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Lol. :D
    Anyone else have some feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Peugot/Citroen engines devour head gaskets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I know a vet who has a ZX estate with 200k. He says the car has his heart broken from fiddly things going wrong, and describes citroen as a "bad car", but the engine has never given a bit of bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

ibanez wrote:

You'll have a hard job doing that with a PSA TD engine :rolleyes:
    They are the exact same engine, coupled to the exact same tranny - period. Anything else after that is just urban myth - and in terms of car choice, then a brand/styling/equipment decision more than anything else. Manufacturing plant is my hometown back in FR, so I should know... :)

My Dad's had Citroën with TD engines for the last 20-odd years (starting with the CX TD, that'll tell ya ;) ). Never a bother, routinely clocked way over 250k business/m'way miles on each(many CXs, BXs, XMs, C5s), and not a slow driver either, so draw your own conclusions :)

I've driven each and every one of these, had a BX 1.9 TZS TD myself for a few months, and (even as a young lad who'd rather be in something much more exotic at the time, e.g. with a snake or a horse on the badge), always loved them. I'd go back, probably when I'll be 60 or so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

ibanez wrote:

Yeah, after you've hit 130,000 miles or more... even in the petrol ones (from experience - ZX Elysee, and Xsara Coupé - still, neither blew a head gasket, and the Xsara still going strong!).

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I know of one, a 405 1.9 d that did it, did it around 80k miles, head gasket was changed, and it did another 80k miles before dying of a non engine related problem.

and I have never heard of another pug diesel doing it, don't know many people with the petrols so can't comment, but the diesels are great engines

someone posted here recently about the ssangyong/daewoo musso something along the lines of "fall to bits but go forever"

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

ambro25 wrote:
    You'll have a hard job doing that with a PSA TD engine :rolleyes:
    They are the exact same engine, coupled to the exact same tranny - period. Anything else after that is just urban myth - and in terms of car choice, then a brand/styling/equipment decision more than anything else. Manufacturing plant is my hometown back in FR, so I should know... :)

My Dad's had Citroën with TD engines for the last 20-odd years (starting with the CX TD, that'll tell ya ;) ). Never a bother, routinely clocked way over 250k business/m'way miles on each(many CXs, BXs, XMs, C5s), and not a slow driver either, so draw your own conclusions :)

I've driven each and every one of these, had a BX 1.9 TZS TD myself for a few months, and (even as a young lad who'd rather be in something much more exotic at the time, e.g. with a snake or a horse on the badge), always loved them. I'd go back, probably when I'll be 60 or so :D
    The PSA TD engine is identical in both citroen and Peugot cars Because Peugot own Citroen.Peugot/Citroen XU9TD Series engines are smooth and economical just not the most durable engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

ibanez wrote:
    The PSA TD engine is identical in both citroen and Peugot cars Because Peugot own Citroen. Peugot/Citroen XU9TD Series engines are smooth and economical just not the most durable engine.

Meanwhile, a short time earlier...
    ambro25 wrote:
    They are the exact same engine, coupled to the exact same tranny - period. (...) Manufacturing plant is my hometown back in FR, so I should know.
    :rolleyes:

The plant is in Metz, Moselle dept, France. It's not the only one manufacturing engines and trannies, mind. The place, specifically, is called Trémery (north suburb of Metz).

Peugeot does not 'own' Citroën, both the Peugeot and Citroën brands are owned by the PSA Group ("PSA-Peugeot-Citroën-SA", SA is Société Anonyme, i.e. a Plc).

In terms of durability, I've yet to come across a Merc or Beemer diesel engine that develops fewer problems than a PSA unit over any given same mileage. That is, obviously enough, provided that the engine is serviced at intervals and not tinkered with or abused. After that, granted, a Citroën or Peugeot car will fall to bits much earlier than a Merc or a Beemer.

And with regard to turbo diesel technology, Citroën has always been at the vanguard (e.g. first ever turbo D to break 190 kph? Citroën) - the reason why PSA bought it in the first place and has licensed a good deal of Citroën-patented developments for use to most other manufacturers over time... and still doing so these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

ambro25 wrote:
    And with regard to turbo diesel technology, Citroën has always been at the vanguard (e.g. first ever turbo D to break 190 kph? Citroën) - the reason why PSA bought it in the first place and has licensed a good deal of Citroën-patented developments for use to most other manufacturers over time... and still doing so these days :)

Ooooh, I dunno about that.

[soapbox]Peugeot bought Citroën from Michelin in the early 70s largely because Citroën were bankrupt and yet held a sizeable chunk of the home market, as well as having better product than the Peugeot equivalent. I'm not aware of Citroën having any significant diesel developments at the time of takeover (instead they were burning cash on rotaries during an oil crisis). Sure Peugeot picked up some neat patents, like hydropneumatic suspension, but proceeded to do sod all with them. Rolls Royce had already licensed it from Citroën in the late 60s and Mercedes had successfully ripped off the principals in the 600 (allegedly).

Instead Peugeot went about sucking the value from the Citroën brand and turned it into yet another badge-engineered sub brand. Some of the crap that those chevrons were attached to in the 80s (LNA, for example) would have Bertoni, Boulanger and Lefebvre spinning in their graves, not to mention the great gambler himself. Between 1980 and now, Citroën have (with a few exceptions) been little more that purveyors of badly built discount Peugeots the great unwashed.
    [/soapbox]

From the 50s Peugeot have always been at the forefront of diesel development and have arguably done more for the diesel than any other single manufacturer. The longevity of their diesel engines is legendary - you only need to go to west africa to see how many diesel 404s are still floating around there to understand why.

• Advertisement
Advertisement