Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Placebo new album

• 21-11-2005 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

According to HMV, placebos new album will be out on the 3rd of MArch. Im dissapointed i though it was being realesed in January. I cant ****ing wait for it.

Brian said on a recent interview that the new album just uses 2 guitars a bass and a drumkit, no electronics like Sleeeping with Ghosts had. Im disappointed with this, as i loved SWG.
    He said the album will be more raw like the first album and they went in the direction of the Bitter End(which is quite a raw song).

The band have 15 songs they want on the album and Brian said he is going to make sure he picks the right songs as hes really bitter about leaving Slackerbitch off the first album and Leni of Black Market Music.

Well Placebo fans lets have your views and comments on the new album, i translated the interview as its in French on the xs of placebo website.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I thought Sleeping With Ghosts was a really strong album, shame they're ditching the electronics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

agreed.
    but anything they touch turns to gold..
    like biiter end is amazingly raw.
    and id love more of that.
    placebo are rather underestimated.
    and they have to play here soon.
    ive only seen them at festies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ive seen them 5 times now (Slane, Olimpia 2000, oxygen 2001, wembley 2004, Brixton acadamy 2003).

Dunno why they didnt come over for the last gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

I've never seen them but wanna see them sooo badly!! They have to come over here for the launch of their new album.They must, there must be some way to make them come over...maybe we can lure them in! Inanywhoots thanks for that, can't wait for the new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

definately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭micromegas

I do love SWG but I think they'll be better off without the electronics.

Just an update, two songs off the album are doing the rounds on the placebo forums.

"Because I want You" and "A song to say to say goodbye". Both quality songs in my opinion although they require a lot of listening to methinks. I dont think they are as good as other first singles from the albums (Pure Morning, Bitter End and Taste in Men), but i reckon its a good early sign.

Anyway check them out if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i loved te first album, hope they do back to this rawness in full. none of this electronic nonsense.

ferdi wrote:
    i loved te first album, hope they do back to this rawness in full. none of this electronic nonsense.

Ye "Because i want you" is very 36 Degrees crossed with that crappy song they did for Once More "i do". Although 'a song to say goodbye' is very modern Placebo with the electronics going 90 in the background. That sounds a bit Bitter End crossed with Special Needs i think. I prefer new Placebo tbh, i dont like the first album.

Just an update, the new album is called Meds, it can now be got illegally if your into that.

It is really really good, i reckon its going to be my favourite album when it grows on me a bit. Its much rockier than SWG, fast guitars and bass with quality drums. I really like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm looking forward to the new album. SWG was a good album and had some class songs like "The Bitter End" and "Secong Sight".

Does anyone know what singles they are releasing off the album and when they are being released?

The first single is a double A-side with BEcause i want you/A song to say goodbye. Realeased 25th of Feb. The album is out on the 12th of March.

The new album doesnt really have many stand out singles although the duet with Micheal Stipe is a contender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

New album should be good. Their debut is one of my favourite albums of all time. and that secret track is just amazing. Have never seen them. Out of the hundreds of bands I have seen and not once placebo. Mainly because they have not been here in 5 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Didnt they play 2 or 3 years ago in the Olympia?

Meds should more than please Placebo fans, I'd say its their second best album after their debut. "Because I Want You" is a pretty catchy song, really raw great song, not as good as their best singles though, I agree with Gary there. I think Infra-Red would make a good single.

"Song to Say Goodbye" is another strong song. Love the electronic stuff.

For reasons I'm not sure of "Drag" is my favourite song on the album. Nothing special about that song though. "Space Monkey" and "Follow the Cops Back Home" are brilliant songs. Love the guitar stuff in "Space Monkey" and everything about "Cops".

Kazaanova wrote:
    Didnt they play 2 or 3 years ago in the Olympia?

Meds should more than please Placebo fans, I'd say its their second best album after their debut. "Because I Want You" is a pretty catchy song, really raw great song, not as good as their best singles though, I agree with Gary there. I think Infra-Red would make a good single.

"Song to Say Goodbye" is another strong song. Love the electronic stuff.

For reasons I'm not sure of "Drag" is my favourite song on the album. Nothing special about that song though. "Space Monkey" and "Follow the Cops Back Home" are brilliant songs. Love the guitar stuff in "Space Monkey" and everything about "Cops".

They played the Olympia on the 4th/5th December 2000, 2 of the best nights of my life!! Then they played Witness in 2001 i think and that was the last time they played here.

I think its the best album they have done, with Black MArket a close second.
    I agree about Drag, its just a real easy catchy song, i love it. i love absolutly every song on this album and there is not one i dont like, in fact because i want you is probly my least favourite!
    Agree about cops, excellant song, as is Space Monkey, Infa Red, Song to say goodbye (Probly my fav), Drag, broken promise and Meds.

The album is supposed to have a documentry on it aswell!I look forward to buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 john_henry

this album is all over the net. it leaked sometime last week. not my favourite band ever but they're still bearable.

john_henry wrote:
    this album is all over the net. it leaked sometime last week. not my favourite band ever but they're still bearable.
    Bearable??
    They're far better than bearable.
    Anyways..I can't get it illegally no way am I downloadin' Limewire onto my computer,not after the last time ( :rolleyes: )
    Slightly rockier than SWG?? That'll be brill I loved the edginess of Their first and kinda felt SWG could have been a little harder. Whoot I feel like it's almost christmas ...I can't wait!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

the new album is pretty good on first listen. it's got a great duet with Michael Stipe on it

it's still very electronic gothic rock, if you like placebos last album you'll like this one too

john_henry wrote:

Ye Brian Molko is going crazy about that and apparently the album realese date is getting pushed forward, its a shame it got leaked as its going to be one of the albums of 2006 and i want it to sell really strong.

I wouldnt agree with the comparisons to SWG, its way less polished and produced and there are hardly any effects or instruments other than guitar, piano, Bass and drums.

Brians voice is really good on every song, way better than previous albums.

Definatly my favourite Placebo album:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I have to say, I waited with anticipation for them to play here for about 4 years (I started to like them around 2001 but couldn't make it to Witnness in 2002) and I started to lose interest partly out of annoyance. But I really hope they play here this time around, and I can't wait for the new album. WYIN is my favourite, followed by their debut. And I definitely agree that Leni is a great song and should have been on BMM!

• Advertisement

Ye they say as a band their biggest regret is not putting Leni on Bmm and SLackerbitch on the debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭magicspatula

Good to hear people are liking it. Gonna wait for the CD myself. Its tough though! I love evertything theyve done, especially WYIN, so this should be great. Heres hopin theyll come over for a gig!

Good to hear people are liking it. Gonna wait for the CD myself. Its tough though! I love evertything theyve done, especially WYIN, so this should be great. Heres hopin theyll come over for a gig!
    I'm waitin' for the Cd myself too.
    Anyone any nifty ideas on how to make placebo play over here??
    C'mon boardsers think, there must be something we can do!

spiderlegs wrote:
    I'm waitin' for the Cd myself too.
    Anyone any nifty ideas on how to make placebo play over here??
    C'mon boardsers think, there must be something we can do!

Theres nothing that can be done, on the SWG tour there was petitions going around and everything. If you like them that much just pop over to England, thats what i did, went to the Wembley gig. Flights cost 30euro return with ryanair and we stayed in my mates sisters house. So it cost hardly anything.

When i met Brian before the gig i asked him why the hell he didnt play over here and he said there was problems with venues and dates and ****, to which i replied 'bull****", he wasnt to impressed with that. He said there was problems with the record company, tour managers and MCD aswell. But he ensurred me they would get over this time round. Hes a dead sound bloke and you dont realise how small he is until you actually see him in real life:p

Hes a dead sound bloke and you dont realise how small he is until you actually see him in real life:p

I encountered him once and he was a right bollocks.

John2 wrote:
    I encountered him once and he was a right bollocks.

Ye he was a right dickhead years ago, but that was mainly down to all the drugs and ****, he was always pissed off about stuff.Would never even smile or anything, but he was using drugs big time in them years.

I remember after the Olympia gig in 2000 we waited outside after the gig till 1 o clock for a ****ing autograph and he told us go "get a life", to which i burst out laughing and he gave me the fingers. Then Stef came out and talked to us and when Brian told him to hurry up, Stef told him to **** off!
    Hes dead sound now though is Brian, have meet him a few times in recent years and hes always cool.
    My mates siter is a journalist in London and has done a few interviews with him and she says he is one of the funniest people she ever met, although he gets very worked up about certain issues, such as the downloading of music.

I remember after the Olympia gig in 2000 we waited outside after the gig till 1 o clock for a ****ing autograph and he told us go "get a life", to which i burst out laughing and he gave me the fingers. Then Stef came out and talked to us and when Brian told him to hurry up, Stef told him to **** off!

That was my encounter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Yay, finally got my hands on this, one of my favourite bands. I like it alot, favourite tracks so far being Space Monkey, Follow The Cops Back Hone and Pierrot The Clown. The duet with Stripe is pretty cool too, the piano is great, I love when they do that kinda thing. Seems to me to be a cross between Sleeping With Ghosts and their debut. My favourite Placebo album is Black Market Music and I doubt this will change that, but it still seems excellent, just need to listen a few more times.

And I'm jealous that you all got to see them live. I'd also be jealous that you got the finger from Brian but I ain't that way inclined! ;) Maybe I'll drag somebody to the Isle of Wight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Just got a newsletter.Looks like were left out again. Total pain in the asre, seeing as I have just moved home from the U.K.
    Maybe a festival in the summer will arise!!!

Placebo UK tour dates announced

Placebo will play their first UK gigs since the amazing Wembley Arena show back on 5th November 2004.

The tour consists of the following dates:

Wednesday 05 April

BLACKPOOL EMPRESS BALLROOM

Thursday 06 April

GLASGOW ACADEMY

Saturday 08 April

NEWCASTLE ACADEMY

Sunday 09 April

BIRMINGHAM ACADEMY

Tuesday 11 April

LONDON ALEXANDRA PALACE

The new UK tour goes on general sale this Friday 03 @ 9am

P.S Sorry if this should be in Gigs/Events

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Oh sweet ffffff...are they ever going to play here?

Anyone else going to the Isle of Wight?

Nea wrote:
    Just got a newsletter.Looks like were left out again. Total pain in the asre, seeing as I have just moved home from the U.K.
    Maybe a festival in the summer will arise!!!

Placebo UK tour dates announced

Placebo will play their first UK gigs since the amazing Wembley Arena show back on 5th November 2004.

The tour consists of the following dates:

Wednesday 05 April

BLACKPOOL EMPRESS BALLROOM

Thursday 06 April

GLASGOW ACADEMY

Saturday 08 April

NEWCASTLE ACADEMY

Sunday 09 April

BIRMINGHAM ACADEMY

Tuesday 11 April

LONDON ALEXANDRA PALACE

The new UK tour goes on general sale this Friday 03 @ 9am

P.S Sorry if this should be in Gigs/Events

There just the English warm up dates, on previous tours they played here then always MAdrid after Dublin. If dates are annonced for Madrid with no sign of Dublin then i will start getting worried.
    They will play here.They wont skip us again. They will also play the Odyessy in Belfast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Hmm. I'm undecided on the new album. I'm more of a fan of their first two albums (which are two of my favourite albums ever). It's better than SWG I think, but some of the songs are a bit pop-ish and boring. Infra Red is great though, as is Space Monkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Just thought i'd throw in my two cents!
    The album that's going around the torrent sites may is not the complete album.
    It's only got 13 songs, and lasts just over 40 minutes.
    All early reports indicate that there will be one, if not two more songs on the acctual album.
    It also doesn't have a hidden track, and all Placebo albums have hiddden tracks (American versions excluded!)
    Infra-Red, and Broken Promise, will be two of the singles, with probably one other (my guess would be Meds!)
    Placebo played in Ireland on the tour for their first three albums. They were going to be coming over in 2002, but weren't allowed because of some quarentine laws (they would have been coming here, directly from Taiwan I think!), so the gig was cancelled.
    Theydidn't come over for the SWG tour because of problems between thier old lable (Hut) and MCD.
    Hut recently folded, and now Placebo are with Virgin fulltime.
    All indications are that they will be here this year, probably twice!
    Once for a few stand alone gigs, and again for a festival in the Summer!
    And you can rest asuured that i will b at both of them!
    Hope that clears a few things up, and sorry if I prattled on a bit!!!

Advertisement