Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a pvc window

Options
  • 21-11-2005 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey all
    gonna be finally fitting my window this week was just wondering if I have my facts straight. The window sits on the concrete sill which should sit on the outer leaf of the cavity wall, just a little over the cavity?Should the window be adjacent to the inner or outer leaf?How far back? Is the window supposed to be placed so as to keep the heat coming up from the cavity inside the room?Me confused!!please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

It's kinda hard to explain, you appear to have the basics, is this a new ope or replacement ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭thehotstepper

Hey Rooferpete, its a new one, on a new cavity block wall 60mm cavity.I'll probably have more of an idea when the sill arrives and I can measure up. Gonna close around the window with brick, just confused on placing the window with respect to the heat in the cavity, or will it not matter if its all closed up anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

When installing the cill don't forget the DPC we use fibre cement slates bedded on the blocks under the cill as a cavity closer, then bed the DPC, then carefully move the cill into place it should extend extend out both sides approximatley 100 > 160 mm measure the other windows so you match up, then back fill the cill.

The cavity can sometimes be closed off using concrete bricks depending on the size, some are 75 mm and others 100 mm, modern cavities can be 120 mm.

Have fun and cover up everything if you are using a grinder to make the ope square.

Advertisement