Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's Gun Confiscation

Options
  • 21-11-2005 7:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

I'd like to hear from anybody out there (On or off the record) who would like to talk to me about any firearm they know about, confiscated by the authorities way back in the 70's. Especially if the firearm in question is now missing without any explanation!..

To start for instance. Was a recipt given. Was access to the firearm allowed for cleaning purposes. Did you have to go and give the firearm in, or was it removed from your (or relatives) premises. Was compensation offered in exchange?... Do you have the name of the person/persons who took recipt of the firearm etc.

I look foreword to hearing from anybody.

My motive for this is for the purpose of furthering research for a reporter who is interested in publishing an article on this subject.
    Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I don't know too much but I do know this... You were allowed access to the firearm to clean and look after it. some people done this on a regular basis to annoy the gardai. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jeffshc1

The 70’s confiscation, on this side of the pond has started again.

San Francisco... {In some circles Commie Forinia}

The measure, Proposition H, would ban the possession, manufacture, distribution, sale and transfer of firearms and ammunition within San Francisco. (Exceptions would be made for specific professional purposes, such as police or security work.)

The ordinance is supposed to take effect on January 1, 2006, but San Francisco residents would have until April 1, 2006, to surrender their handguns to police.

Exceptions would be made for specific professional purposes, such as police or security work
    Hollywood style politics. Loathing firearms is fine as long as you can afford a packin bodyguard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FAB24

I don't know too much but I do know this... You were allowed access to the firearm to clean and look after it. some people done this on a regular basis to annoy the gardai. :-)

Thanks for your reply.
    I am sure there are still people out there that remember this. Did owners have to sign in, to clean their guns. Was the owner allowed to put his/her personal lock or cabnet in place etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

some people done this on a regular basis to annoy the gardai.

I honestly don't think that the motive was to annoy the Gardaí , more likely it
    was just to inspect their firearms , and try to maintain them.

AFAIK .. an appointment had to be made , and it would make sense to have signed people in for security reasons.

I think there was a post about this subject a while back from someone who visited one of the holding venues.

If you guys know of anybody who has first-hand information on this topic, I would like to have a chat with them. Thanks to all who have given their time to respond.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

<name deleted by request> in Rathdrum would be a gold mine of information from that time FAB.

Sparks wrote:
    <name deleted by request> in Rathdrum would be a gold mine of information from that time FAB.

Thanks for the name. Do you know if heis on the boards? Would he be interested in getting his details to me by PM through you! If not, I'm sure he can be located.:)

I'm pretty sure he's not on the boards :D
    I'll send you his postal address by PM.

Sparks wrote:
    I'm pretty sure he's not on the boards :D
    I'll send you his postal address by PM.

I got it thanks. PM'd back.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote:
    Sparks! You can't go quoting people's names on a bulletin board without their prior permission. The person concerned has heard about this, and he's none too pleased.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote:
    Sparks! You can't go quoting people's names on a bulletin board without their prior permission. The person concerned has heard about this, and he's none too pleased.
    He's known me for the best part of a decade RRPC, right back to my first competition. If he was really ticked off, I'd have gotten a phone call from him by now.

As to not naming people on a website, you probably want to look to the NTSA's or the NRPAI's website as well as here. I gave a name; those sites identify people with photographs. As does your own website. Which has his name, yours, mine, and a few dozen others. That's not a complaint, by the way; the day that we have to hide our names and faces is a day we should all be very anxious never to see and which we should resist with all the means at our disposal. It's merely a pondering on why this website would be any different to those websites when we all get called up on google.

Also, read your PMs.

Sparks wrote:
    He's known me for the best part of a decade RRPC, right back to my first competition. If he was really ticked off, I'd have gotten a phone call from him by now.
    Well you've got a reply on this board. You can take it as a substitute. And speaking of phone calls, where was your phone when you decided to use his name here?
    As to not naming people on a website, you probably want to look to the NTSA's or the NRPAI's website as well as here. I gave a name; those sites identify people with photographs.
    And when you took those photographs, did you not say where they would be used?
    As does your own website. Which has his name, yours, mine, and a few dozen others.
    In one particular document for which the author asked permission, and before it was placed on the website, permission was also asked. Your name is only mentioned with regard to results, which you are aware of in advance, as I always state that the results of any competition will be placed on the website.
    That's not a complaint, by the way; the day that we have to hide our names and faces is a day we should all be very anxious never to see and which we should resist with all the means at our disposal. It's merely a pondering on why this website would be any different to those websites when we all get called up on google.
    It's not a case of hiding, it's an issue of common courtesy.
    Also, read your PMs.
    Done, replied.

rrpc wrote:
    Well you've got a reply on this board. You can take it as a substitute.
    A rather poor one. I spoke with him and had a long natter as we usually do, and he's neither mad nor ticked off, though he did ask to have his name removed (hence the above edits) purely because he's being inundated with requests to use Rathdrum as a range for fullbore pistols (which it simply can't accomodate, as you know). And I found it rather interesting that it wasn't himself nor yourself that mentioned it to him first, but a third party who you would have to honestly say has somewhat of a bias against myself personally (such an uncommon trait nowadays :rolleyes: ).
    And when you took those photographs, did you not say where they would be used?
    Actually, no. I said they were for publicity - there wasn't any specifics asked for or given. Most people just volunteered so that we could reuse their photos in any future articles for the paper - a PR library, if you will.

Sparks wrote:
    A rather poor one.
    And whose fault is that? The name appeared here, I was asked to check it and convey the individuals displeasure/unease.
    I spoke with him and had a long natter as we usually do, and he's neither mad nor ticked off, though he did ask to have his name removed (hence the above edits) purely because he's being inundated with requests to use Rathdrum as a range for fullbore pistols (which it simply can't accomodate, as you know)
    And because it is club policy notto publish names of officers. (A policy which brought us into conflict with the PRO of the NRPAI some years ago, and which you are aware of).
    And I found it rather interesting that it wasn't himself nor yourself that mentioned it to him first, but a third party who you would have to honestly say has somewhat of a bias against myself personally (such an uncommon trait nowadays :rolleyes: ).
    Frankly Sparks, I am somewhat dismayed at your attitude. I quite politely indicated, that the use of the persons name was not on, you then proceed to have a go at me, because you believed you knew better than me the attitude of the individual concerned to the matter (despite me acting on his behalf). Then you have another go at me, (and him) because we should have phoned, and finally you have a go at the source of the information which is entirely irrelevant as neither of us share his (real or perceived) views.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

FAB24 wrote:
    If you guys know of anybody who has first-hand information on this topic, I would like to have a chat with them. Thanks to all who have given their time to respond.:)

If you want 2nd hand info on two specific hand guns handed in pm me with a phone number. Original owner now deceased, was president of gun club at that time. the executor of his will tried to claim ownership etc Too long a story for here....would bore the pants of everybody.
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

tapest wrote:
    Too long a story for here....would bore the pants of everybody.
    t
    Go on, try us. It would be great to hear a 'real world' case, if even just the edited highlights.
    This is one of the situations I've sometimes wondered about, along with the 'future' of guns whose owners have either died or forgotten about them and whose relatives don't know about or have no interest in them.
    There have to quite a lot of them, and I can't see the State keeping them in storage in perpetuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BRUNO.22

My Friend Was Out The Back Of A Garda Station In Kildare Recently Where He Witnessed 40 Or So Shotguns And Rifles Being Cut Up On A Saw Into Pieces...does Anyone Know Why That Would Happen?/

BRNO.22 wrote:
    My Friend Was Out The Back Of A Garda Station In Kildare Recently Where He Witnessed 40 Or So Shotguns And Rifles Being Cut Up On A Saw Into Pieces...does Anyone Know Why That Would Happen?
    Yup, especially around now, where people are unwilling or unable to pay their license fee and surrender their firearms to local cop shop. Usually these items are ancient, badly cared for and wouldn't fetch a brass farthing on the open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

im not certain but could it be confiscated illegally imported weapons used for criminal purposes gang land killings or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[
    QUOTE=psittacosis]im not certain but could it be confiscated illegally imported weapons used for criminal purposes gang land killings or whatever
    Usually not,as they would be required for evidence in court cases and until the cases are finished,appealed etc.This can take years So maybe this was real old handed in stuff indeed.God alone knows what kind of valuable weapons have been destroyed over the years because it is"illegally modified".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Load of reasons to break up guns, I've doneit several times, reasons for doing so included:

Very old stock that wasn't selling and taking up space,

Faulty guns for which the necessary parts couldnt be obtained,

Unwanted guns left in for destruction by owners,

Guns used in crimes/suicides no longer needed for evidence,

Guns left in for sale/repairs years ago that were never reclaimed despite
    numerous contact attempts.

The procedure is fairly straightforward, you list each weapon, note the details, then stack them up. The garda present inspects the list and each gun present to ensure they match up. The guns are then individually entered out of the dealer's register as "broken up", this is co-signed by the garda. The guns are then taken and cut up, or as we used to do, smelted. All that really has to be destroyed is the receiver and barrel, it's common to go through the condemned weapons beforehand to remove any worthwhile spare parts, springs, magazines, stocks etc.

im not certain but could it be confiscated illegally imported weapons used for criminal purposes gang land killings or whatever
    Hardly, as shotguns (unsawn-off) and rifles are not usually the weapon of choice for your average scumbag, and secondly these would have to be kept for evidential purposes and wouldn't be in a local or regional cop shop, but kept in the phoenix park where the ballistics boys live.

Guns used in crimes/suicides no longer needed for evidence,

Jeeze,dont tell me prima facie evidence in the committal of a crime was left out of the hand of the police????That would mean your chain of evidence was broken,and would/could have meant then if challanged that cases could have been thrown out.
    Scarrreey!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Jeeze,dont tell me prima facie evidence in the committal of a crime was left out of the hand of the police????That would mean your chain of evidence was broken,and would/could have meant then if challanged that cases could have been thrown out.
    Scarrreey!!!

Yep, after the gun is no longer needed as evidence (which can be after a short period of time in many cases), it can be returned to it's rightful owner. In many cases the owner no longer wants it, so hands it into a dealer for breaking. No chain of evidence issues arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Well, my crossman smooth bore bb gun was confiscated because I did'nt want to pay the £5 licence circa 1972. Did I see somewhere that smooth bore airguns were exempt ? mmmmmmmmm.....feel a compensation case coming on !! (not)

civdef wrote:
    Yep, after the gun is no longer needed as evidence (which can be after a short period of time in many cases), it can be returned to it's rightful owner. In many cases the owner no longer wants it, so hands it into a dealer for breaking. No chain of evidence issues arise.

Hmmm intresting....I id over three years ago my stolen pump action that had been stolen over ten years ago.And indicated that I wanted it returned to me>It has featured THREE TIMES on Primetime footage regarding guns and gang related issues in Limerick.After I was told it was to be destroyed.WTF are they playing at??? I thought you meant that the Gardai were storing the firearms until the case was due in a gun dealers.:D .

Advertisement