Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apache 1.3 + SSL ?

• 21-11-2005 10:34am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am not a webadmin but I have recently inherited a project at work from the current admin who has moved on to better things. And 1 week into the job out client has suddenly asked for an upgrade (I was told that I'd never have to touch the thing!) :)

So at the moment we have a server running Redhat acting as a webserver (Apache 1.3 + php) for an Intranet. The client uses IE6 to log in (max of 50 sim connections) to check his telephone stats for each of his branches.

Now though he wanst to use SSL and It's my job to get it working!

All I need to know right now if it'll be possible for me, a telecom engineer with a good understanding of Windows and IT to be able to convert the current server to an SSL-enabled server, with little knowledge of linux?

From what I've read on the net I'm gonna need the Apache-SSL module, recompile and install Openssl. Then I'll need a certificate and off I go.

Is it really going to be as simple as that? I've never compiled in linux before but I'll figure that bit out, and I'm guessing that because it's an Intranet I won't need to actually buy a certificate will I?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Here's your ultimate solution mate:

Download XAMPP -
    http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Documentation is also on the page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That xampp thing looks pretty nifty.
    ponster wrote:
    All I need to know right now if it'll be possible for me, a telecom engineer with a good understanding of Windows and IT to be able to convert the current server to an SSL-enabled server, with little knowledge of linux?

I would say yes. I set up an apache server for my final year project in college with feck all unix knowledge at the time. You should spend some time getting to know the basics though, especially if you're getting paid for it. There are plenty of tutorial / introduction sites out there.

First off, I wouldn't have thought you'd need a recompile. I thought that for module support you just edited the relevant settings files to enable / disable that module. I have a book that's aimed at apache 1.x installation somewhere that you're welcome to if you want it (once I can find it....just moved house). Having spent a fair chunk of time reading it though, I found trial and error (on a non-production server) to be the best learning tool.
    ponster wrote:
    I'm guessing that because it's an Intranet I won't need to actually buy a certificate will I?

You wont need to buy one. Once they're willing to accept a locally generated certificate (they'll be prompted).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

XAMPP is total overkill for a live server, those all-in-one things are really best used only for development environments.

On a Red Hat server, you just need to install mod_ssl -- from the command line:

up2date mod_ssl

adam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Cheers folks :)

HomunQlus thx for the info. I won't be using it at work as I have to build on an existing platform and can change as little things as possible before I start breaking support contracts :)

Advertisement