Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morning After Pill?

• 21-11-2005 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

Hey guys/gals, just a quick question, what's the story with the morning after pill in Dublin? How do we go about getting it? Do we need to go to the doctor and get a prescription or what? I don't think we actually need it, it's more for peace of mind than anything else. I haven't had to get one for years and that was from a college doctor, so I'm not sure how to go about getting it regularly. Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yeah you can just go to your doctors - they'll either give you a prescription or they might actually have it there and just give it to your gf at the time. And obviously the sooner she takes it the more effective it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I don't have a doctor though! So where do I go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Bluebells

well women clinic, theres one on suffolk st.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

>>I haven't had to get one for years and that was from a college doctor, so I'm not sure how to go about getting it regularly.<<

The morning after pill is not something you should be getting regularly if you're using effective contraception.

By regularly I meant normally!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Where are you based in town? Should be a Well Woman Clinic near you....check it out in the Yellow Pages. Take within 72 hours of "accident" but better to take it as soon as possible.

Living in Lucan, but I'm getting off work early and heading into town with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Fair play for being responsible. http://www.wellwomancentre.ie Just make an appointment and also ask for anti-nausea tablets as some of the older brand morning-after pills can cause queasiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jimmidy_cricket

<snip>
    MAP is prescription, AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Mina Loy

Dave wrote:
    By regularly I meant normally!

The more you use it the less effective it is, it goes down by a good few percent each time you use it IF you use it 'regularly' or even 'normally' its for complete emergencies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

<snip>

Is this not illegal? Surely a Doc has to prescribe the morning after pill or has legislation changed?

dudara: My thoughts exactly, and until I know more, this information is removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

Just go to the nearest well woman clinic and you dont need an apt just go in and they give it to you....

Fair play for going with her! thats exactly what the girl needs!

And as for all you people that i thought it was illegal and it should only be used in emergencies....for crying out loud! the guy is being very responsible! i mean could be the other way around a girl saying she wished her and her bf did get the morning after pill! so fair play!

Sarah** wrote:
    And as for all you people that i thought it was illegal

Just to be clear I was quoting jimmidy_cricket who stated that the MAP was available over the counter which it isn't, as far as I know, as this is not legal at present in Ireland. It is only available by prescription.

I wasn't not saying the MAP itself is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

You can get the MAP from any normal doctor - there's no need to go to a Well Woman clinic just to get it. Just pop into any ol doctor, and they'll sort you out with the pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

the mater hospital will also give it to her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My x girlfriend had the unfortunate experience of having to get the morning after pill. First time she went to the well women centre, near liffey st I think, and she left in tears. Basically the woman refused to give it to her because she was on the the pill and said that that "was good enough". Try telling that to someone who's two best friends got pregnant while on the pill. Anyway, she almost had to get down on her knees and beg before she was given it. F*ckin disgraceful IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jimmidy_cricket

Oooops, sorry. I was seeing a guy about six years ago and he got it for me twice I just presumed that was normal procedure, guess he knew someone who worked there or went into the doc himself and got the perscription. Never thought about it and never asked.

My mistake, apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Sarah** wrote:
    And as for all you people that i thought it was illegal and it should only be used in emergencies....for crying out loud! the guy is being very responsible!
    Yes, but emergency contraception should only be used in emergencies. It's still worth stating.
    anonamoose wrote:
    Basically the woman refused to give it to her because she was on the the pill and said that that "was good enough".
    It is good enough, why did she want the MAP if she'd been taking her pill?
    anonamoose wrote:
    F*ckin disgraceful IMO!
    No, handing them out like smarties would be disgraceful.

Talliesin wrote:
    It is good enough, why did she want the MAP if she'd been taking her pill?

Yes but she might have forgotten to take it one day, had an upset stomach or runs and that decreases its effectiveness. I think the instructions that come with the pill say to use condoms for a few days if you have the above symptons. Maybe thats why she wanted the MAP.

Went in to the Well Woman Clinic on lower liffey street (had to book an appointment). The nurse couldn't have been nicer, I stayed with the gf the whole time. No intrusive questions were asked, the woman was really friendly and didn't seem judgemental or anything. The whole process took about 15 minutes. €52 though :eek:

Cheers for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

52 euro is a lot less cheaper then a trip to the uk for a termination or the cost
    of having a baby and putting up for adoption or rearing a child.

www.ifpa.ie also prescribe and dispense the morning after pill.

Well she's Spanish and apparently it's free in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Great that you are going with her... but you know that SHE has to be the one making the appointment. Just saying this because have heard of situations where a caring bf has gone into college doctor/family planning /whatever on behalf of a distressed gf and been told what to do with himself. they wont give it to YOU only to HER. Just to save you wasting any more time.

Advertisement