Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different models of cbf500 here and in uk

Options
  • 21-11-2005 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm planning on buying a cbf500. In the UK it costs £3999 (€6000) and includes ABS on the standard model (there's no other model). When I talked to a dealer here he said there was no ABS on the cbf500 (and the list price was €7000).

Is he right? Why would honda make a model just for Ireland?

Is it worth importing just to get the (free) ABS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

maybe the dealer still has last years model, & the abs in on this years

try a few different dealers

never driven a bike with abs so i cant really comment on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

It is likely the dealer has the 04 model or brochure, check with Capital Honda or Bikeworld.

The main reason for the price difference is the UK bikes lack of VRT, which you will have to pay on bringing it into the country, this will be €650 i think.
    So the ABS ain't free :)
    If it's your first bike then ABS is a nice thing to have, but it will not be the lifesaver you might think it ought to be.

Why the CBF500? First bike? Rifdng with restriction? Have you considered the CBF600 (S) S for faired version. I have one and I like it a lot, came with restricition but it is very manageable without it in place.
    I think ABS is standard on this years model, mine is last years and has no ABS.

Cassiel.
    w00kie wrote:
    I'm planning on buying a cbf500. In the UK it costs £3999 (€6000) and includes ABS on the standard model (there's no other model). When I talked to a dealer here he said there was no ABS on the cbf500 (and the list price was €7000).

Is he right? Why would honda make a model just for Ireland?

Is it worth importing just to get the (free) ABS?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 w00kie

Yup, first bike (after a long break) and yes to restriction. I was looking at the cbf600 as well - both bikes seems to get good reviews for commuting. Have you ridden the '500 as well - is there much difference? Recommend faired or not?
    Cassiel wrote:
    Why the CBF500? First bike? Rifdng with restriction? Have you considered the CBF600 (S) S for faired version. I have one and I like it a lot, came with restricition but it is very manageable without it in place.
    I think ABS is standard on this years model, mine is last years and has no ABS.

Cassiel.

Haven't ridden the 500 to be honest, as far as I know it is basically the old bulletproof cb500 but with the bikes styling brought up to date.

So you'll be on the provisional licence then. The CBF600 is classed as a group 9 by insurers, I don't know what the rating for the cbf500 is but it will be less. If the CBF500 is 'factory restricted' like a Suzuki Bandit 600 for example then the insurance grouping is much lower, a 5 or 6. Makes it much cheaper to insure.

I had a naked bike prior to the CBF and for 70 - 80 mile spins up the N4, the fairing makes things a lot more comfortable at motorway speeds compared to the naked bike.

Depends on your miles, whether its in town or mostly on open road.

I've done the test and have a year left with the restriction, however the restriction kit got mislaid :confused: and the bike is at full power (about 76bhp), it does not feel all that radical compared to the 33bhp, there is better acceleration and proper top speed, but all VERY manageable, nothing scary. So I'm going to hang on to it for a while after the restriction comes off. I say this because I bought it from a guy who returned to bikes after a long break and went for the sensible option but then found he wanted more power!

A lot of helpful folks are over on www.biker.ie

Good luck.
    Cassiel

You picked a hell of a time of year to start biking! Damn it is cold. :)

w00kie wrote:
    Yup, first bike (after a long break) and yes to restriction. I was looking at the cbf600 as well - both bikes seems to get good reviews for commuting. Have you ridden the '500 as well - is there much difference? Recommend faired or not?

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to take a more serious look at the cbf600 assuming the insurance hike isn't too big. The main thing I was worried about was the weight (rather than the power) so hopefully some dealer will have one to try out.

• Advertisement

I finally talked to Honda directly. They confirmed that from January, ABS will be standard on the cbf500 and cbf600. I'm guessing that it'll be at the same price (since that's what happened in the UK).

So, I'm definately not buying one of these before January. Now the question is whether to buy something old (cb500 or er5 maybe) and resell it in a couple of months or just wait.....

how 'bout this?

KLR500

Cassiel wrote:
    how 'bout this?

KLR500

Hmmm. The price seems pretty good but it turns out I'm going to be out of the country until mid-December anyway so I'm going to put things on hold until then.

Advertisement