Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dara o Brian (sp?) on Parky

• 21-11-2005 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭

Cauat a rerun of Parkinson on Fri or Sat night. WTF was that wannabe comedian Dara o Brian doing being interviewed ??? I have respect for Parkinson and he normally has famous guests or at least people who have achieved someting. the high point of this guys career is presenting the panel for gods sake.

:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

he's a successful comedian there too... had his own show on BBC and guest hosted "Have I got News For You".
    Thought he was great tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

He went down better than a lot of Parky's so called A-list guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Huh.. I caught that repeat aswell... thought Dara was quite funny actually. As he usually is. What have you got against him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

A lot of people don't seem to like him.

I've seen him live doing stand up, and I thought he was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I think a lot of Irish people just don't like anybody who happens to be both Irish and successful, tbh. Alongside Alexander Armstrong, Dara O'Briain is generally regarded as being the best of the HIGNFY guest presenters. I saw him on Parkinson and he was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Daras a funny man, remember watching him on dont feed the gondollas years ago, good to see him doing well for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Dara's a really funny and intelligent guy - very disappointed to have heard that he didn't land the 'Have I got News For You' slot permanently, as his new show hasn't really measured up to its standard.

Nevertheless, he is one of the (if not the) funniest comedian in the country - feck the begrudgers Dara, you're great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

as his new show hasn't really measured up to its standard.

Which show. He had 2 show there a while back on the BBC which were trying to cash in on his roll as HIGNFY guest presenting roll.

His chat show, Buried Alive showed he could do a serious chat show without being too serious.

He has been on Johnathan Ross as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

s8n wrote:
    Cauat a rerun of Parkinson on Fri or Sat night. WTF was that wannabe comedian Dara o Brian doing being interviewed ??? I have respect for Parkinson and he normally has famous guests or at least people who have achieved someting. the high point of this guys career is presenting the panel for gods sake.

Was this the re-run that was going on when the Rugby was on.....on TV3? if so then Dara was class on that!! very funny and had the crowd in tears!! seen him do live stand up with Jack Dee a while ago on BBC1 and was brillant as well.....seems to be well respected over in the UK!! pity it wasnt the same here!! he makes the Panel and that is the only show on RTE that I really watch!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Dara was great on Parky, all round he's an excellent comedian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

s8n wrote:

Have to agree with the majority of the posters here. Dara is an extremely funny and personable guy and "the high point of this guys career is" certainly not "presenting the panel for gods sake." :rolleyes:

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭muesli_offire

If he's such a great guy, why does he seem to ooze disdain for his current stint on the panel? He barely makes the effort to string a complete sentence together, or rather when he does he manages to suffocate whatever spectres of humour survive what are the most mediocre of gags to begin with. A drag. The Panel is a lesson in how to kick a laugh when its down. Badly edited, no content, the most irritating of token lapses into the """"SURREALISTIC"""" executed with the cringe-inducing tentativeness (and half the verbal inventiveness) of a giddy ten-year old (Colm Murphy).
    Comedic murder, and Dara is complicit. I'd rather watch Mark Lamarr, and he is one irritating tw@t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Big Nelly wrote:
    Was this the re-run that was going on when the Rugby was on.....on TV3? if so then Dara was class on that!! very funny and had the crowd in tears!! seen him do live stand up with Jack Dee a while ago on BBC1 and was brillant as well.....seems to be well respected over in the UK!! pity it wasnt the same here!! he makes the Panel and that is the only show on RTE that I really watch!!

I saw that spot he had on the Jack Dee show. Saying he was funny is an understatement. That was the funniest set I've seen in a long long time. Actually a bit embarrassing for Jack Dee as he was way better than him. Fair play to him I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Dara's a mediator on the panel, his main job is to make sure things are moving along from A to B and not lost on a mad tangent. He's the host, the other guys are 'the panelists'. I think he does the job quite well and while the shows not perfect, he's rarely the one to blame for it. Still one of the best home-grown shows on RTE imho. Although previous seasons have been better.

originally posted by Goodshape:
    "...previous seasons have been better."
    defo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Dara O'Briain's hilarious, saw that repeat myself. Sam Jackson seemed to enjoy him too. He was excellent on HIGNFY when I saw him.

If he's such a great guy, why does he seem to ooze disdain for his current stint on the panel? He barely makes the effort to string a complete sentence together, or rather when he does he manages to suffocate whatever spectres of humour survive what are the most mediocre of gags to begin with. A drag. The Panel is a lesson in how to kick a laugh when its down. Badly edited, no content, the most irritating of token lapses into the """"SURREALISTIC"""" executed with the cringe-inducing tentativeness (and half the verbal inventiveness) of a giddy ten-year old (Colm Murphy).
    Comedic murder, and Dara is complicit. I'd rather watch Mark Lamarr, and he is one irritating tw@t!

Pompous and Idiotic are words that came to mind when I read that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Pompous and Idiotic are words that came to mind when I read that.

Totally agree. Daras the best we have to offer at the moment. Tommy Tiernan is good but you never know where hes going to go - which is good in some ways - but Dara is good whilst still being completly sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Whats wrong with mark lemar. He's a pretty funny guy in all fairness. And not really annoying. You sound like a very bitter guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

dont get what the problem is.

He's a really funny guy, The Panel is class, Mock the Week is class, and his stand up is brilliant, and he was funny on parky, why the moan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I saw a bit of it and the thing that bugged me (other than that he was about as funny as eye cancer) is that he wasn't going '........ehhhhhh ....... ' every three words like he usually does any other time you see him which makes me suspect it's just his schtick and he's been putting it on all along? :confused:

Mock the Week

No I have to say that it wasn't all that good. IMO.
    (other than that he was about as funny as eye cancer)

These comments are as about as funny as if Baldrick's Face was to accidentally fall in to my fist.

I like black adder but stop ripping it off.

Elmo wrote:
    I like black adder but stop ripping it off.

So to say "something is as X as Y" is now an act of ripping off Blackadder? Get a grip.

So to say "something is as X as Y" is now an act of ripping off Blackadder? Get a grip.

Yes when it is as gross as something blackadder would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Elmo wrote:
    Ha ha! That is a ridiculous thing to say. The language of sacastic and gross comparisons did not start and end with Blackadder.

B.

Ha ha! That is a ridiculous thing to say.

I thought I would continue. :rolleyes:

Elmo wrote:
    Right...............

Besides Blackadder wouldn't even say something that 'gross'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Ah theres always one, or in this case two. Pointless thread as everyone generally likes Dara. :rolleyes:

originally posted by BolBill:
    Pointless thread as everyone generally likes Dara
    So just because 'everyone' likes him its improper for me to express my dissatisfaction with his part in a show that I dont like because it is terminally unfunny and badly put together ?
    THats sheer prudishness ! I'll say what I want about Dara! I thought tv was meant to be a democratic medium, not a populist/lowestcommondenominator kinda thing. People will eat up any televisual muck that is thrown at them these days, and by all accounts so will Dara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

AFAIK he's been on it a few times. And he's a big hit in the UK.

John

Having seen the Brendan Courtney show I must retract all criticisms of the Panel and Dara O Briain and hereby find them to be more than competent entertainers and some genuinely nice people to boot.

originally posted by BolBill:

So just because 'everyone' likes him its improper for me to express my dissatisfaction with his part in a show that I dont like because it is terminally unfunny and badly put together ?
    THats sheer prudishness ! I'll say what I want about Dara! I thought tv was meant to be a democratic medium, not a populist/lowestcommondenominator kinda thing. People will eat up any televisual muck that is thrown at them these days, and by all accounts so will Dara.

Jaysus mate, did you have a dictionary for breakfast ? Lets see how many big intelligent sounding words I can put in my rant...... :)

Yes, let us see...
    But given that it took you an entire day to post this little insult (at least I was actually on-topic) I will not hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

"Em em em em"

A Talentless Daithi Doolan (SF) lookalike TBH, but full marks for playing the "Irish" card to peddle his mediocrity in the UK where they can't get enough of our Blarney to be sure to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

s8n wrote:

I think he is brilliant, he was great on Have I got News For You, thats when I started to like him. One line I remember.....

"George Bush announced this week that he will not stop hunting Americas enemies, Saddam Hussein, Osama Bin Laden and of course.....The Sith."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Hoodle

I'm from the UK and the first I had seen or heard from Dara O'Briain was the interview on Parky. Needless to say I was wetting myself.

I saw his set on Jack Dee's : Live At The Apollo show as well recently. Wet pants Vol.2 ensued. As it did with my family and friends back home.

I think the man is genius and I'm pleased as hell that I'm seeing him at Vicar St next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Hoodle wrote:
    I saw his set on Jack Dee's : Live At The Apollo show as well recently. Wet pants Vol.2 ensued. As it did with my family and friends back home.

I completley agree, he was hillarious talking about Australia. 42 degree's? Sure everyone knows that 30 degrees is melting point for an Irish Male!

Yes, let us see...
    But given that it took you an entire day to post this little insult (at least I was actually on-topic) I will not hold my breath.

Oh God yeah, was up all night trying to think of something remotely funny. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

yup, i stick by my statement that he's a very funny man, and have my tickets to see him in vicar street.

Advertisement