Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is irish required?

Options
  • 21-11-2005 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Hi, I will be sitting my leaving this year and I want to know is Irish required?

I plan on doing computers at the college of commerce after I pass my leaving, and then getting into maybe CIT from that to do Software Development and Computer Networking, and eventually get a doctural degree in it.

I have read the CIT college book and it says that the minimum requirements are 5/6 subjects with Maths and Irish OR English. So do I not need Irish?

Also, would I need at least one foreign language, like French, or could I get in without that aswell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deadlocked

Yep im nearly sure it is. For 9/10 courses you need at least a pass in Ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

From the looks of it, you don't need Irish for that course. I wouldn't be 100% on it though, ring them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

The only way you can know for sure is if you ring the college and ask them directly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Deadlocked wrote:
    Yep im nearly sure it is. For 9/10 courses you need at least a pass in Ordinary.

Every NUI college needs a pass in Irish.

TCD, DCU and all the other IT's/uni's generally do not.

(Here I am in DCU Economics, Politics and Law -with an E in pass Irish. The dead language, thankfully, isn't the 'be all and end all' that some would have you believe...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Trinity even accept Irish as a foreign language.

And that course was number 3 on my CAO, Noel :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭geraghd

NoelRock wrote:
    Every NUI college needs a pass in Irish.

TCD, DCU and all the other IT's/uni's generally do not.

(Here I am in DCU Economics, Politics and Law -with an E in pass Irish. The dead language, thankfully, isn't the 'be all and end all' that some would have you believe...)

Wow well done. Im sure you are flying in the course, so it just goes to show you dont need to excell at all subjects (particularly such practically frivolous ones like Irish) to do well and manage such a tough course. Intelligence isnt measured (though often assumed as such) by the Leaving Cert system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

You actually don't have to even sit the exam if you don't want to, it isn't compulsory.

Advertisement