Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS VS. PSP - A Few Months On

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, i bought a DS way way back, loved it but sold it to get a PSP, got really bored of it really quick because I was playing a stack of full price titles I already owned on the PS2, most of which I bought for €20 in Gamestop!
    So I shifted it and bought another DS which has occupied my time quite nicely thank you very much, together with my GBAmicro I am a handheld happy man, the rest of the money made from the sale of the PSP went into my 360 fund which is also doing rather well.

Oh yeah, before I forget, apparently the Pal 360 has shipped to the various european warehouses, happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

evad_lhorg wrote:
    my motives for not buying a psp.

IF i want fifa 06 or pro evo 5 or another gta game or xmen legends or burnout or tiger woods or any other sports game or midnight club or whatever else they are doing on all the other platforms(which is the majority of the games just cut down a bit) il buy it a home console as its the same price or in some cases cheaper.

if i want mp3 on the move ill use an ipod or zen.

if i wanted movies id buy em on dvd cause they are about 5-15 euro cheaper and i wont be watching a movie on the bus. eg family guy the movie was between 30-35 euro on UMD or around 20 on dvd. h,mmmmm i wonder which one id buy.

yea i have a DS. i dont play it too often but thats only cause im addicted to pro evo 5.i have advance wars and castlevania at the moment and will be getting mario kart as it will be amazing endless fun online. it will have zelda.... it will have metroid hunters(which looks amazing.... and its somethin different rather than just playin the same oul games on the move you can use a great machine with great interface and great games like advance wars or mario kart.
    Yeah, what he said. Although if Pro Evo 6 comes out on PSP and is as good as the XBox version, I may just have to buy one. I have the DS myself, and can't see myself buying a PSP (particularly since I also want a 360) but my nephew is getting one for Xmas (it's a surprise, so don't tell him) so I will get to sample its delights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I haven't got a psp yet, mainly because i'm poor but also because I'd break it-I'm not commenting on the psp build quality, nothing with little mechanical parts lasts long in my clumsy hands. From what I've played it seems to have far too many driving games, mercury and lumines both rock but I haven't seen much else that I would play on a train or something. Twisted metal is tempting me to get one but the chances of me getting some decent multi player games of it are pretty slim. So far I am impressed but I haven't played enough with the machine to properly judge it yet, and I'm not interested in the video/audio features.

I'm very happy with the ds. Mario 64 was awkward to control but nostalgia made me forget. Advance wars and Meteos have kept me very entertained the last while, but the real star of the ds for me has to be electroplankton. The only game I've played as much as it was smash brothers on the cube, it's not for everyone but most of the people I've shown it too seem to love it and tend to almost instantly make a fool of themselves with recrec. Band brothers is excellent, as is the other music game that I can't remember the name of-the one with the 4 male cheer leaders. While yoshi touch and go is good, it's very short and repetitive, Kirby on the other hand is excellent and the last thing I would call it is a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

evad_lhorg wrote:
    if i wanted movies id buy em on dvd cause they are about 5-15 euro cheaper and i wont be watching a movie on the bus. eg family guy the movie was between 30-35 euro on UMD or around 20 on dvd. h,mmmmm i wonder which one id buy.

You don't have to buy movies on UMD to watch them on the PSP. I haven't bought a single UMD movie, I just rip and convert my DVDs or files I get from the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

steviec wrote:
    There's a big difference between playing wireless in a game that's always been multiplayer, where the wireless adds nothing whatsoever over what the gameplay was in previous versions and playing wireless in a game that's never had proper multiplayer support, which opens a whole host of new possibilities.

And I'd be mighty impressed if you can turn on and get into a DS game quicker then the <5 seconds it takes from turning my PSP off hibernate to being right into GTA and able to do anything from longer missions to a 5 minute killing spree to just driving around for as long as I want.
    the ds turns on instantly when you first turning it on and also when your opening it up after hibernation (when you flap it down during a game)
    and when its hibernating the battery lasts for ages i left mine on for almost a day and the light was still green
    yes i like the psp but when it comes down to it the ds is the clear leader

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Got the psp and loved it but now my problem is where are all the games theres just nothing i can look forward to now that lcs is out and i just havnt got into playing this yet.

The ds was dead to me for a long time but I got meteos and im addicted to it and there are so many games coming out that i want for it unlike the psp.

I think its still a bit too early to compare them the ds went through a game shortage after it came out and the psp is going through the same now it seems so hopefully in a few months time it will be a much better time to compare them both. Psp could get some killer games and the ds is getting a revamp next year so maby they will both look much better at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

You can't really compare the two as one is a gaming device while the other is a kind of multimedia device.

The DS wins hands down as a pure gaming machine, more games and of greater quality than PSP. If you just want games, then get it.

The PSP is my personal favourite as I like being able to listen to music on the way to the dart, watch Arrested Development on the train and then play WE9 in college lectures. Overall its a better device, but not a better games machine unless you count homebrew and the likes.

Also people seem to forget that this is Nintendos home ground, they've been making portable games for donkey years while this is Sonys first go, so in fairness, they do have a lot to learn. Lord knows Nintendo made a few mistakes in its early portable days.

Alas, my fantastic analysis will go unread as its at the bottom!! :v: ...........

Advertisement