Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Options in Wexford

• 21-11-2005 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

As well as the usual DSL options, what other options are available to people in the Wexford area? Wireless? IrishWAN? GBS projects? Need this info for the morning if possible.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Only one carrier has shown <much> interest in licenced wireless in Wexford and has most if not all licences in Wexford , thats HS Data trading as www.permanet.ie

see their coverage here

http://www.permanet.ie/map1.asp

Irishwan has no traction there that I can see , surprise that because if there was one area where irishwan should be strong , based on its historic origins, its in the SE.

There are some small cowboys with Wifi and VSAT of course and a few puffs of vapour in the ether :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Has anyone used those Permanet guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Brendan Kehoe of Irishwan does our wireless broadband here in my workplace just outside Rosslare Harbour.

Decent enough. Seems to go a bit wierd if there's heavy rain or winds which is fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Is their any others? I think that Im in a small space between two of the coverage zones. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

@smellslikeshoes & damien.m

if either of you can see Fort Mountain from where you live, pm me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 deege

Hi , i live just 3 miles south of Wexford town, I applied over a month ago to Permanet for broadband access and i have not heard a thing from them . Phone calls just get a message and repeated e-mails go unanswered. I am begining to think they are just a cowboy outfit , at least they could answer one e-mail . So i have to stick to my trusty dial up for now :mad: . Is there anyone out there actually using them in the south east ?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

www.skytel.ie can apparently provide coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

There are a couple of small wireless players (other than Brendan Kehoe) that advertise in local shops and stuff. I've heard mixed reports. As for problems with the service, from Rosslare Harbour to Forth Mountain, where the node is, you're talking a fairly significant distance for 2.4Ghz, probably in the region of 15km's. If you're on the Rosslare Strand exchange, it's been enabled for ADSL now, by the way.

Irish Broadband offers a dial-up service in Wexford as well, but only seem to cover Wexford town where there's plenty of other alternatives.

If the person who's looking for broadband can get ADSL, I can't imagine any of the other alternatives are worth looking at in the scheme of things.

Are any of them any good?

Skytel came out to do a LOS test two weeks ago. Unfortunately i failed from their Kelougue mast due to trees and a slight hill . They also tried from the Mayglass Water tower about 7 KM away but the signal was too low. I do not have LOS to Rosslare where apparently they have a node on the water tower down there. They said they will have a node on Fourth Mountain soon which should work for me ...so the waiting game still continues... Still have not heard anything from PermaNet, except one e-mail confirming my order. Will post how i get on .

• Advertisement

Good News , Permanet connected me day before yesterday, The installation was quick about an hour. i had to wait a day to be activated however , they seem to be snowed under. Also asked the installers about connecting my hub and they said justplug it in and it should work. There was no crossover cable supplied so i had to buy one , but once i got that it works fine through my hub. So far very happy .. but then all i had before was dial up :o)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

where is their mast ???

Their mast is on Forth Mountian, Lucky for me i had LOS to thier mast. If you can see the masts you should be able to connect to it. It should cover most of South Wexford from what i can remember of the views when i was last up there on a Sunday Drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I just got eircom broadband in my new place, I rang smart, esat, ntl and a few others who turned me down. Eircom is ok though, I pestered them every day to make sure my order came on time and with NO hiccups.

I'm living in town so bout 5 mins walk from the anne st exchange so get a decent connection, €29.99 a month BB and €24.50 a month line rental.

Managable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭[AK47][JONNYNEW

Blaster99 wrote:
    Has anyone used those Permanet guys?

Im using permanet for 6 months now.
    Never had any probs with it.

Had it installed within a week.

The only thing i see wrong is port forwarding.
    Cantforward Remote access,FTP. nothing.
    But they are the only company that can give me BB were i live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

Am shortly moving to the forth mountain/duncannon road area. Are there plenty of broadband options these days?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Permanet are based of Forth, there's also Irish Broadband Breeze in Wexford town, not sure how far out that extends. DSL is probably the only other option.

jor el wrote: »
    Permanet are based of Forth, there's also Irish Broadband Breeze in Wexford town, not sure how far out that extends. DSL is probably the only other option.

Yea checked Permanet site and it looks good. Eircom is non runner. What about 02? Also - what exactly is DSL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CookesandCo

Useful site for broad band options : http://www.broadband.gov.ie/

We use imagine good price and no complaints.

Bazbu wrote: »
    Am shortly moving to the forth mountain/duncannon road area. Are there plenty of broadband options these days?

Thanks

Rang Permanet and they said they would come out to house to see if I am within their range but they'll charge €30 even if they cant supply me!! Also they don't have a wireless service - anyone else got any experience of them?

Relative living out near Our Ladys Island could'nt get broadband through eircom phone line but eircom installed some sort of radio transmitter for her and so she can now get it - anyone know what this is all about?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Bazbu wrote: »
    Rang Permanet and they said they would come out to house to see if I am within their range but they'll charge €30 even if they cant supply me!! Also they don't have a wireless service - anyone else got any experience of them?

Relative living out near Our Ladys Island could'nt get broadband through eircom phone line but eircom installed some sort of radio transmitter for her and so she can now get it - anyone know what this is all about?

Thanks

Anyone?

My local exchange has just been upgraded and my landline is now broadband compatible :) Hapy Days!

Anybody got any insights on the latest suppliers?

I'm out of range of Forth Mountain & Mayglass, in the Duncormick area. I have line of sight to Carrigbyrne but not sure if anyone supplies from there?

Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

www.alphawave.ie 1890 815 660 may have coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pad4

Hi , im currently looking to get broadband , ive been told from a local man thats deals wiv computer repairs that permanet is the only 1 that will work in my area , how have every 1 found them , 145 euro to put the thing in is a bit steep i thought , ive tryed vodaphone and meteor stick for my laptop and its not worth a ....... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Pad4 wrote: »
    Hi , im currently looking to get broadband , ive been told from a local man thats deals wiv computer repairs that permanet is the only 1 that will work in my area , how have every 1 found them , 145 euro to put the thing in is a bit steep i thought , ive tryed vodaphone and meteor stick for my laptop and its not worth a ....... :)

zombie thread...

Anyway www.irelandoffline.org/map find your location then click wireless on the left

bealtine wrote: »
    zombie thread...

Anyway www.irelandoffline.org/map find your location then click wireless on the left

why is it a zombie thread , thanks for ur link by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pad4 wrote: »
    why is it a zombie thread , thanks for ur link by the way

Resurrecting an old thread.

For rural locations fixed wireless is probably best.Used to have Permanet myself and never had a problem,the install fee covers the cost of the equipment.

Lucky enough to be getting fibre soon so I don't need to feel the pain of trying to get decent broadband that anyone living in rural areas can only dream of.

Try Carnsore Broadband or Wicklow Broadband (if you live in North Wexford)

zerks wrote: »
    Resurrecting an old thread.

For rural locations fixed wireless is probably best.Used to have Permanet myself and never had a problem,the install fee covers the cost of the equipment.

Lucky enough to be getting fibre soon so I don't need to feel the pain of trying to get decent broadband that anyone living in rural areas can only dream of.

Try Carnsore Broadband or Wicklow Broadband (if you live in North Wexford)

thanks a million bud , i am a bit of a zombie anyhow

• Advertisement
Advertisement