Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ABC1 on NTL digital

• 21-11-2005 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭

Just noticed this today, channel 506 on NTL digital is now ABC1. Anyone know if this is some kind of promotion or if it's here to stay. Could this be the regular ABC channel or some european version? Could we now get lost on the tele every Wednesday?:D I had a look on the NTL website and it says ch506 is supposed to be TV TravelShop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Jaysus that would be cool.. wouldn't have to get my poor cousin to keep recording it for me any more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

ABC1 is different to ABC unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

herobear wrote:
    ABC1 is different to ABC unfortunately :(

Awww!:( I knew it had to be too good to be true. At least I found a channel I didn't know about before. Might find some good shows on it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

abc1 has been on Freeview and Sky for a few weeks now. Can't say I've noticed much to get excited about, but I suppose it's another channel to choose from! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Thread moved from Lost because I think it'd get a bit more attention here and a broader range of replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

byte wrote:
    abc1 has been on Freeview and Sky for a few weeks now. Can't say I've noticed much to get excited about, but I suppose it's another channel to choose from! :)

More like 6 months.

Mostly 3rd rate US network s(h)itcoms and better programmes that have already been on better channels over here.

They show the programmes in US format; far too many add-breaks.
    For a while they were also showing hour-long dramas split into 10minute chunks, one chunk per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Kodac

Yeah, ABC1 has been on Sky Digital for quite a while now, its mostly just comedies like Mad About You, 6 Simple Rules, Ellen, Less Than Perfect- it seems like every two minutes there is an ad for Kevin Hill, its SO annoying. They actually do a weird thing with their ad breaks, its more like how they do them in the US than over here, i.e there are less ad breaks, but the ad's last way way longer.

The one and only reason to watch is: the excellent, amazing, brilliant Once and Again, which they started from the begining and is on every evening at 6pm. Its such a great show and seeing as RTE (for a change...not!) messed up the running times and schedule when they were showing it (they had the entire last season on at 2am on a Friday morning), its great to see the whole thing again properly.

Really, if you can, watch this show, its great- its kind of like My So Called Life in that its thoughtful, well developed and full of emotion- only with a much broader range of characters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Can't say I'm very impressed with it at all...

...haven't found anything I want to watch on it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Sports Night is also quite good. Never heard of it before but it's done by aaron sorkin, the guy behing the west wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, Sports Night is pretty good - I got the boxset a while ago, so don't bother with it, but I enjoy Mad About You. I just wish they wouldn't put the episodes on in a seemingly random order.

And the commercial breaking system is very odd - they often cut in the middle of a scene to have a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

ABC1 is good, Means there's always something to watch during the day. Most of the stuff on there is watchable.... Crap but watchable :) I work odd shifts, and can be home during the day so I like it. I'm sure students will find it useful. The ad breaks suck though.

John

Advertisement