Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blogs - Text Storage Format?

Options
  • 21-11-2005 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Are they stored in Unicode or what?

Euro symbols, accents etc. don't display correctly.

Example
    ~€30 should be ~€30

Is there a trick I'm missing?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Also I think now and again there's slashes before the 's, mayhaps there's a rogue addslashes() function at play

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I see euro symbols in your blog. Maybe its your browser or your Windows locality setup thats the problem..?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ya I can't put a ' it always comes out as \

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Displays € fine for me on foxywoxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Hmm, the new thing seems to be displaying a ? instead of a ' on the boards main page where the newest entries are shown

IE7 in college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7

Regional settings are set to "English (Ireland)"/Irish on everything, default language for Unicode programs is English (Ireland) etc. etc.

Bard wrote:
    I see euro symbols in your blog. Maybe its your browser or your Windows locality setup thats the problem..?
    Well if I can see the € euro symbol in this thread, but not in my blog, then it would point to the blog system as being the culprit as the same machine and browser is used to view and post both.
    Euro symbol etc. is fine in the real-time preview when writing blog entries, and from what I recall, seems fine the first time I load my updated blog frontpage but any subsequent visits have the fruity characters garbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I've had the same issue with € symbols etc. *shrugs*

*boink*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Are we talking old blog posts or new ones?

If they're old ones, maybe they weren't imported properly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

you need to set the page encoding to Unicode (UTF-8) when viewing the blog if chars aren't displaying properly.

I get the same issues with certain chars on my own blog at times.

btw, showing as € on your blog :)

New entries John.

Just changed the encoding from Western to UTF8 (I thought FF defaulted to UTF-8) and it's showing correctly. Did the same for this page and it flipped my example from the first post.

Strangeness.
    How would I go about ensuring that every page I view is rendered using the correct codepage? Is there not some metadata or header that specifies this for every page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I have the same issues with mine it seems to be the use of the '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

in this admin page, it shows what the default encoding of yer blog is
    http://blogs.boards.ie/*username*/wp-admin/options-reading.php
    Encoding for pages and feeds:

it's default is UTF8 but something's a foot given it still acts up at times. Only in FF tho, IE shows it fine.

So ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 then? :v:

Advertisement