Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

40 km speed limits

Options
  • 21-11-2005 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

What is the story with 40 km speed limits. I was caught doing 60 km last weekend at 6.30 on saturday evening...The smart f**kers were parked outside a primary skool...Is it always 40 outside a primary skool or only at skool time...And then the guard was such a smart f**k about it all - he claimed I seen the car and slowed down so was actually going faster...Truth be told I was half asleep and never even noticed his unmarked car..

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

You were caught "fair and square", rightfully so if you were half asleep. skool???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

them's the breaks. It is a bit sneaky though to be speed trapping a 40KM stretch that is only there because of a school outside school hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

My sons school has a chess club which runs on a saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't think I've ever seen a 40km/h limit? 50km/h is usual for built-up areas, and I thought that 30km/h was the next step down from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Pataman wrote:

I could say the world can do without a few chess nerds but it wouldn't be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No it would'nt...careful now.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Alun wrote:
    Don't think I've ever seen a 40km/h limit? 50km/h is usual for built-up areas, and I thought that 30km/h was the next step down from that.

You're correct. There is no such thing (in this country) as a 40km/h speed limit. As far as I'm aware, there are also no 30-zones yet in effect. There is also no automatic speed limit that applies outside schools at school hours.

Of course, exceeding the posted 60km/h is an offence in its own right...

Dermot

Kilmeaden outside Waterford has a 40 km/h limit in operation at the moment, it was/should be 60...naturally no-one is taking a blind bit of notice.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Pataman wrote:

that is such a valid point, I would not have thought about out of hours activities and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mackerski wrote:
    As far as I'm aware, there are also no 30-zones yet in effect.
    O'Connell Street is a 30 km/h zone because of roadworks and will permanently become a 30 km/h zone in the new year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054852662

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    O'Connell Street is a 30 km/h zone because of roadworks

Is there an actual bye-law stating this or just a sign?

As to Kilmeaden, am I right in assuming that what it has isn't so much a 40km/h speed limit (given that there's no legal basis for such a limit), but an old 40mph sign?

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

there was sign posts saying that it is 40 ye ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was on N3 yesterday and was doing about 110-115kph on a 100kph section.....next thing came across the cop sitting in a field with the hair dryer!! was waiting for him to pull out but nothing....drove on and he just sat there....was a girl in front of me in a brand new Avensis from Monghan who was going faster than me and he didnt pull her either!! had hairdryer and everything out window so was on!! just didnt seem to bothered to pull anyone! least I know there spot now!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This is because in all probability you were only actually doing 100km/h anyway. Most speedos overread by 10%.

mackerski wrote:

As to Kilmeaden, am I right in assuming that what it has isn't so much a 40km/h speed limit (given that there's no legal basis for such a limit), but an old 40mph sign?

Dermot

Nope its 40 km/h, the new sign is stuck over the old 60 km/h one, I suspect it tempory.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Nope its 40 km/h, the new sign is stuck over the old 60 km/h one, I suspect it tempory.

I can't see how this would have any legal standing. The law sets out all the valid limits that may be applied on public roads. They are:

30km/h
    50km/h
    60km/h
    80km/h
    100km/h
    120km/h

Anything else is liable to be makey-up IMHO.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mackerski wrote:
    Its probably based on a city manager's road works order for now (valid up to 1 year) and the bye-laws are out for public consultation.

Advertisement