Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winterizing Car

Options
  • 21-11-2005 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Very heavy frost here this morning and for the first time since getting it, the engine didnt sound to heathy turning over, but started going home in the evening just fine.

As i've bought it second hand have no idea if its got antifreeze in the radiator already or not, is it bad to pour antifreeze in there if there is already some in the mixture?

Its my first car and first time dealing with these conditions.
    Anything else that I should be doing to winterize it ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Check the colour of the coolant if its clear then you're in trouble! If its a bland looking blue or green then its proberly old and has been topped up with water.

I'd get the system drained and flushed with a hose then refill with 50/50 mix using a coolant with corrosion inhibitor.

Buy some jump leads, some de-icer, keep a blanket in the car, keep some plastic sheeting in the car (nothing worse then changing a wheel in wet conditions and ending up with dirty shoes/trouser ends), a torch, a cuddly toy er

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

mike65 wrote:
    Check the colour of the coolant if its clear then you're in trouble! If its a bland looking blue or green then its proberly old and has been topped up with water.

I'd get the system drained and flushed with a hose then refill with 50/50 mix using a coolant with corrosion inhibitor.

Buy some jump leads, some de-icer, keep a blanket in the car, keep some plastic sheeting in the car (nothing worse then changing a wheel in wet conditions and ending up with dirty shoes/trouser ends), a torch, a cuddly toy er

Mike.

Seemed to have covered everyhting there, but might I recommend a torch or something to help change a wheel where there's no light.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks lads, will check the coolant tomorrow when its bright again.
    Have a shopping list to do also it seems, good advice.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Like you I bought a cheap 2nd-hand car with a sketchy service history.
    I got an 'anti-freeze testing' device from Halfords yesterday for a couple of euros; it gives you a rough idea of the percentage anti-freeze in the coolant.

That's the lazy solution. No harm in getting the coolant flushed if it hasn't been done in a couple of years though.

Another lazy man's tip: if you don't fancy pouring hot water on the windows in the morning lay some newspaper on them the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭fletch

bmoferrall wrote:
    Another lazy man's tip: if you don't fancy pouring hot water on the windows in the morning lay some newspaper on them the night before.
    Mmm good tip!.....must c if it works.....oh and I wouldn't advise pouring hot water on ice cold glass cause it's very likely to shatter....i always use lukewarm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

I was wondering if it is ok to put alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol not drink!) in to the windscreen washer bottle to help clean and defrost the windows. If so what is a safe concentration of alcohol as not to damage seals/paint work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

bmoferrall wrote:
    Like you I bought a cheap 2nd-hand car with a sketchy service history.
    I got an 'anti-freeze testing' device from Halfords yesterday for a couple of euros; it gives you a rough idea of the percentage anti-freeze in the coolant.

That's the lazy solution. No harm in getting the coolant flushed if it hasn't been done in a couple of years though.

Must check into that, definately need to figure out if there is antifreeze in there already (suspect not) and havent the foggiest as to how to drain/flush it properly.

Was thinking of throwing the old bike cover on the windscreen, wouldn't a newspaper freeze to the screen though leading to a messy cold cleaning up in the morning?(screen seems to get foggy about 2 mins after parking in the cold weather)

I got a spray can this evening in the petrol station on the way home, probably not good for the paintwork though but useful in a hard frost scenario like this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I use a sheet of cardboard for the windscreen, rigid and it wont stick.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

If your running an older car, don't change the antifreeze if you have work the next day, or bring a bottle of coolant with you.
    The new antifreeze coolant mixture will de silt your cooling system and cause it to leak if it had any weak spots at all.
    Try to mix distilled water, rather than tap water with the antifreeze, and do flush the coolant every 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

The 2 year rule is very important, Yes I'm looking at you Bender (Futurama alloy head)

• Advertisement
Advertisement