Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can they do this?

• 21-11-2005 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

it doesn't sound very likely
    is the phone in his name?
    is she registered as a child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

phone operators can see the messages you're sending but they're not allowed read them (unless there's a problem, like you're missing or something and the police are tracing your last movements) and they certainly aren't allowed give them out!

unless her dad is in the garda/works for meteor/knows someone who works for meteor

so i'd say her dad probably found her phone and read the messages or he's chancing his arm about what he THINKS she's sending

either way it sucks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

He read her phone and he's now trying a dumb coverup:)
    Spill it! What was the content of those text messages! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Any parent has the right to intervene and check what their children are viewing, receiving, transmitting, reading etc. I think this is fair an reasonable. Her father is right to check up and he probably concocted the story so as to avoid saying he read through her messages. This is a delicate situation and there are various ways of approaching it that are probably unique to each parent-child relationship.

All the operators allow dual access if you apply for it. This means that a parent can access all service and account details. It's hard to know if this applies to the actual content of messages.

Reading between the lines there seems to be some sort of situation at hand that led to the intervention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement

Parents have the right to do these things. Obviously every situation is different and complex. Of course, as someone grows older they deserve more privacy and the "parental hand that guides" should have done most of the work by then. Obviously there are "kids" who need more guidance just as there are parents who need to back off a bit. Bottom line is, if they are under 18 then really its a parental decision from a legal point of view. Consider this scenario, if she was gullible and the boyfriend violent do you think a parent would have the right to step in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If she's under 17 ( i think thats the current age of consent) she may well be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Karoma wrote:
    He read her phone and he's now trying a dumb coverup:)
    Spill it! What was the content of those text messages! :p

Thats about the sum of it. You cannot ring Meteor and ask for information like that without being a verified member of the Gardai or something very similar.

Stekelly wrote:
    If she's under 17 ( i think thats the current age of consent) she may well be.

I don't think there is anything illegal in exchanging text messages and it is a big step to draw assumptions from communications between two people and any activity. However, the main point is that if she is under 18 her parents can still intervene. If you are happy to live under their roof you have to accept their rules.

Mobileinfantry - as stated the mobile companies have a "dual access" system for parents and minor. They can then get access to any account information. I doubt if the content of SMS is readily available (compared with a record of numbers that messages have been sent to) so I would hazard a guess that dad took a scan through the inbox/sent items. He probably paid for the phone and the credit so he's entitled to. He has to decide if its worth it in terms of the impact of the relationship/trust between himself and his daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭sgske

Tell her to get another sim card from meteor store, they are very cheap 10 euros or something and use that simcard for her private messages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

she needs a new sim card and her dad needs a few valium

Well sometimes parents know better and years later she may look back and say thanks. Then again maybe not.

The issue is can dad look through her phone - yes, can pops get records from a phone company - yes. Is there a breach of privacy - No (if she is under 18). Is it going to lead to chaos in the family home? More than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 peaderfi

BrianD wrote:
    Well sometimes parents know better and years later she may look back and say thanks. Then again maybe not.

The issue is can dad look through her phone - yes, can pops get records from a phone company - yes. Is there a breach of privacy - No (if she is under 18). Is it going to lead to chaos in the family home? More than likely.

i am sorry to say that this is untrue

so long as the account holder is over the age of 11 the parent needs to have dual control over the account (which is something that can only be gotten with the customers consent) and once the account holder is over the age of 16 he/she can have that access removed, failing that any information given out is in breach of the data protection act and both the person giving out the information and the person trying to fraudulently obtain the information are in breech of the law.

now apart from all that the customer care reps in all phone companies cannot see the text of any message from any phone...this can only be done by the tech support people and such a request would have to be logged on the account...(as previously mentioned such a request can only be granted in situations where there is a criminal investigation or it is specifically requested by the account holder and even then it will only be granted under certain circumstances)

@Solitaryman666
    my advice to your friend would be to ring up customer care and request that all the notes on her account be read out to her as she suspects that unlawful access may have been given to someone about information on her account...and if they refuse then get her to request it under the freedom of information act

her dad can only have found out about those text messages on her phone...now there is a solution to that...find out if the phone she has has the ability to security lock her phone...if it does then all she needs to do to stop her dad snooping at her txts is enabler it...then only way to access the phone is to know the security code to unlock it or turn the phone off and know the pin code...and what about seeing her bf after school or in the yard?..the teachers can't stop who she associates with in the yard or outside of school

Where is this in legislation or a code of practice?

BTW what is the age when a parent is no longer legally responsible for their offspring? I was basing it on 18.

Don't forget is she decides to stay under her parents roof then she should abide by their rules ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

peaderfi wrote:
    @Solitaryman666
    my advice to your friend would be to ring up customer care and request that all the notes on her account be read out to her as she suspects that unlawful access may have been given to someone about information on her account...and if they refuse then get her to request it under the freedom of information act

Data Protection Act, FOI only applies to certain public bodies. The request might cost you €6.35 though :)

If Meteor did give out the information then there might be an issue alright, and the Data Protection Commissioner might be interested. However it is most likely Meteor didnt give out the information. I doubt if they keep a record of the actual text of text messages anyhow. Anyhow, your second name needs to be Paisley before you are allowed to sue your dad.

Whole story sounds amusing tbh, and I used think all that teenage angst stuff could only be found on Coronation St.

nope it applies to private ones too...

an i never said anythin bout suing her dad...i just said use it as a tatic to extract the information needed to confirm or deny such a claim

btw i work for Meteor and they do keep a record but only a very few people in the company can see it and even then only at the request of the proper authorities/when investigating abusive txts and or harrassing txts (but you never know one or more of the ppl involved could be somehow in some way be under some sort of survalence by the gardai or by meteor themselves) they have to but its only given out in the instances that i explained above

ah well i suppose tis funny all the same

BrianD wrote:
    Where is this in legislation or a code of practice?

BTW what is the age when a parent is no longer legally responsible for their offspring? I was basing it on 18.

Don't forget is she decides to stay under her parents roof then she should abide by their rules ...

its in the data protection act and in the booklet produced by comreg on the subject of parents and the level of control they can have over their childs accounts

https://www.hotline.ie/html02/pdf/knowledge.pdf

its actually 21 if the offspring goes to college...(for legal purposes the student is still legally a child in some respects...also at the age of 16...coincidentally the age when your juvinille record becomes sealed to the court (and don't worry i didn't have one)...and also at the age of 18) it all depends on the circumstances

so if you sleep over in someone elses house they should be allowed to look through your things because it is the rules of the house?

Advertisement