Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belt (Cost to fix)

Options
  • 21-11-2005 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine timing belt wen on his car today.

Wondering how much to fix.

I was thinking around €200. I bet i am miles of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Trampas wrote:

What car? Was there any other damage to the engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If the timing belt snapped, it could have seriously damaged your engine. You're supposed to get it replaced before it snaps. :)

Its about 200-300 to replace. If the engine is damaged, expect it to be a good bit more.

What mileage was on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

99% its an interference engine if its modern. expect a bill of over 1200 euro if a scrap engine can b found otherwise 4 grand ish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

It happened to a mate of mine in a Mazda 323F. He had to get a new Engine. He managed to get a re-conditioned engine for about €1300. Then there the labour on top for fitting it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Trampas wrote:

Your way out I'm afraid. 9 out of 10 times your looking at a new engine in this suituation. He may be lucky and find a reconditioned engine which will cost over €1,000 plus labour to fit.

A brand new engine will cost a hell of alot more.

The timing belt really should be changed every 40k to 50k miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Trampas

He has decided to send the car to the scrap heap.

95 rover he had.

It snapped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

"Rover" and "scrap heap" - Meant for each other:D :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Trampas wrote:

95 rover he had.

It snapped

or he could have given a rover dealer 4 grand for a new motor, wise decision:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭alanlouthzzr

Trampas wrote:

95 rover he had.

It snapped

The water pumps give a lot of trouble on Rover petrols and they are driven by the timing belt. If the pump seizes, it strips the teeth off part of the belt and.....BANG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

If you/re timing belt snapped you're car would conk out and you would say "what the f"ck was that?"
    Then you'd hear how f**cked up ur engine was. You should know how many mileage you gota clock up until the next time u gotta get it changed.
    I think they should make timing chain standard on all newly manufactured cars now. Are they??
    Old thread sorry
    By the way cost me €140.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Colleague had a Laguna II 1.6 petrol engine let go the timing belt a few weeks ago - was quote €2.5k, eventually cost €1.5k from the local garage, seems to be good as new. Still, compared to the cost of changing the belt, its a lot of moolah.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC another name for a NON-interference engine is a Freewheeling engine.

It depends on the model of car / size of engine / date of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

do timing chains have to be replaced.i have a 98 almera with a chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭thetrickykid

My Ford Focus is due a service this month. It has 54k on the clock, although Ford suggest changing the timing belt every 100,000miles - which sounds optimistic to me - should I change the belt now or risk waiting another year?

And get the belt changed by local mechanic or Ford dealer?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

I have Ford Focus also.

64K on the clock. Called in about getting the timing belt done and i was told it was 100,000 miles or 10 years. Kinda unsure whether to just go ahead and get it done anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I have an Almera as well. 75k on the clock. I believe the chain is good for well over 100k and I was told they get loose when they are going and make a noise so you have advance warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

that's right ,replacement interval for 1.4 focus is 100.000miles or 10years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

squibs wrote:
    I have an Almera as well. 75k on the clock. I believe the chain is good for well over 100k and I was told they get loose when they are going and make a noise so you have advance warning.

had to be replaced only if chain is noisy but they last longer then 100k

Advertisement