Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting tested for AIDS

• 21-11-2005 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know anything about where one can get tested for HIV+ and how much it costs?
    It takes 3 months for the antibodies to show up, but is there a test than can detect it straight away?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

check the Sticky at the top of the forum that lists STI clinics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to your doctor and you can get a referral to your local blood clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

There is no test which can detect the anti-bodies straight away.

This might temporarily put your mind at rest -
    Even if you had unprotected vaginal sex and the woman was HIV-infected, you probably had less than 1 in 1000 chance of getting HIV. And unless she is an injection drug user, the odds she actually had HIV are very low. So maybe your risk with a condom in place was something like 1 in 100,000.

A lot of research I've read says it is also less than 1 in 1000 for a HIV+ male having unprotected sex with a HIV- female. In other words: it's extremely difficult to get HIV.

Get tested after 3 months to put your mind at rest.

Don't make yourself sick worrying though!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

First thing to do is calm down and don't get over worked about it...
    Reading the above article might ease some tension...
    If you are still feeling jumpy, just make an appointment with your GP,
    tell him / her of your worries, they shall give you the correct directions in which to follow...

I do believe that the STI/STD clinics are free, just go to your hospital and ask for info on STI's/STD's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

James's Hospital on the Sth Circular Rd., used to do them years ago. They were free and they do a full screen for all STI's. For the HIV test its compulsary to have a 15min or so counselling session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

dublindude wrote:
    There is no test which can detect the anti-bodies straight away.

This might temporarily put your mind at rest -

A lot of research I've read says it is also less than 1 in 1000 for a HIV+ male having unprotected sex with a HIV- female. In other words: it's extremely difficult to get HIV.

I've known that there is an extremely low chance of getting HIV from regular sex for a long time, so I've always wondered then why there is such an AIDS epidemic in Africa? I know that the chances are majorly increased with anal sex, but surely they're not all doing that regularly.

I'm not here to spark a debate, but does anyone know why there are 26 million people in the world infected with HIV?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

I'm not an expert and don't know how so many men got infected if it's that difficult, but I do know that millions of HIV people in Africa are young women who've been forced to have sex. Then when they get pregnant they pass to their babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Linoge wrote:
    I've known that there is an extremely low chance of getting HIV from regular sex for a long time, so I've always wondered then why there is such an AIDS epidemic in Africa? I know that the chances are majorly increased with anal sex, but surely they're not all doing that regularly.

I'm not here to spark a debate, but does anyone know why there are 26 million people in the world infected with HIV?

It's an interesting question Linoge, but one that is more suited to the Biology/Medicine forum.

In other words, keep this thread on track please.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cheekyass

if you live in dublin the guide centre in st james is the best place id say becuse its free, make an appointment asap because the waiting list may be big,

St. Jame's no longer do appointments. They are now only open Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. Arrive very early - 8.30 Thurs or 11.30 Friday.

Regarding the HIV/AIDS in Africa issue, this is a subject I know a lot about. Firstly, the HIV/AIDS figures in Africa are estimates ("1 in 10 don't know about their HIV/AIDS infection"). Secondly, the tests they use are not reliable. Thirdly, a lot of scientists think HIV/AIDS is a multi-factored disease, so the people in Africa who are sick have health problems due to malnutrition, traditional fires inside their homes (pneumonia and poor immune system is generally considered to be AIDS in Africa) etc. Also, a friend of mine from Kenya doesn't know anyone in Kenya who has HIV/AIDS. And she told me the local funeral home doesn't seem to be too busy, so the HIV/AIDS figures in Africa could be highly inflated to keep the fear about sex (and to keep the AID$ business totally loaded.) FYI my uncle was HIV+. He was perfectly healthy until he took the drugs to cure him.

Sorry to go OT. Back OT -

It will take you two weeks to get the results of your HIV test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dublindude wrote:
    FYI my uncle was HIV+. He was perfectly healthy until he took the drugs to cure him.

can you clarify that?

your uncle was perfectly healthy until he took drugs that are supposed to cure him from an incurable disease?

youd probably want to clear up what you are talking about as that statement alone culd be deemed as scaremongering.

i mean, you wouldnt want anything you say to be misrepresented in any way.

or i could just shout at you, call you names and say you are power tripping?

can you clarify that?

your uncle was perfectly healthy until he took drugs that are supposed to cure him from an incurable disease?

It's well documented. A lot of healthy people start the HIV drugs and then they get sick. The side effects are awful.

My uncle died of enlarged heart and liver. It was the drugs, not any virus he had.

It's so common that the drugs companies have changed their stance telling people they should only take their drugs when they are clearly dying.

The problem is, when someone dies they just blame AIDS. And dead people can't sue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, as far as i know, not everyone who has HIV develops AIDS.

and of course, no one dies from AIDS, they usually die of pnumonia or some other illness or infection.

i would have thought that people with AIDS would be the people taking the drugs, since lets face it, at that stage, your time is going to be limited.

although i did hear on the radio the other day of a british man who was tested positive for HIV about 6 months ago and recently was retested and was tested negative. unfortunately i got stuck under a tunnel in traffic and missed the rest of the report, so i have no idea what the circumstances were or whether he had a wrong test in the first place.

Yes, I agree :)

The funny thing about the British guy is that the doctors would rather think he cured himself than admit he was given a false positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

Stupid questions but how do you get to james hosp...and when u ring do u ask for a certain dept? and its free?

Sarah** wrote:
    Stupid questions but how do you get to james hosp...and when u ring do u ask for a certain dept? and its free?

Get off the Luas at Jame's.
    Walk in the direction the Luas will continue towards Tallaght. This means not following the main road, but instead walking straight ahead, paralel (sp??) to the Luas line.
    Walk near the end of the road. Take the second last right (I think.)
    Walk ahead until you reach a kind of conservatory with lots of people in it.
    (it's kind of hard to find actually. i think the clinic is called GUI or GEM or something.)
    Take a ticket.
    Wait until the ticket number is called.
    Go to the reception.
    Give details.
    Move into second waiting room.
    Wait.
    Don't pee as they need you to have "old" pee.
    Get tested (urine, swab, blood.)
    Wait two weeks for your results.

It's free. Bring a book! Arrive early.

It's depressing as hell.

Just thought its better to be safe then sorry and i suppose i should get one as everybody has to get them soemtime and id rather know if i had an STI now!

So i dont need to make an appointment? And they dont ned your medical details or anything just you and thats it?

They don't actually accept appointments anymore.

You don't need to being any medical records etc.

They're only open Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. Get there early!!! Seriously, you'll be amazed by how many people are getting tested...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

That's great that you can just walk in at james now.

Last time I had a check they quoted me a two month wait for an appointment.

You also might want to consider giving a false name, as having a hiv test can affect your insurance in the future.

WHAT?! affect my insurance!! But surely thats a good thing that it comes out negative?! And the clinic will accept a flase name? NOw im getting nervous! so friday morning from 8ish and thursday afternoon from what time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Yup it sure will.

When you're going for health or life insurance, there'll be a question asking you if you've been tested for Hiv.

If you tick yes ( it's obviously up to you what you declare - but thats another issue) you'll be deemed in a higher risk category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i got tested for HIV as part of my medical to get the visa to work in america, that wont affect my insurance will it in the long term.I have health insurance with VHI and life assurance i got when i bought my house 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

It takes 3 months for the antibodies to show up, but is there a test than can detect it straight away?

Get to a cluey GP IMMEDIATELY (tonight!) if you are worried about something that happened in the last 24-48 hours.

PEP info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

As for HIV meds and getting sick.

HIV does not make you feel sick. However, if left untreated HIV will inevitably turn into AIDS which will destroy your immune system and you will die from opportunistic infections.

So, as soon as someone is confirmed HIV+ they start taking medications. These medications are designed to annihilate the HIV virus population in your body, which can potentially delay AIDS indefinately.

However, these medications have lots of side effects. Very bad side effects. So you take other meds to lessen the worst of the side effects. These meds also have side effects and you may have to take more even weaker drugs to help negate those side effects...

So, thats why HIV+ people have to take loads of drugs and often seem worse for it. Usually they'll be much better for it in the long run.

Zillah wrote:
    Usually they'll be much better for it in the long run.

There's a lot of HIV+ people who'd disagree! I think they're called long term non-progressors. They normally don't take any medications.

From what I've read about the HIV/AIDS "industry", the absolutely huge flaws in the HIV/AIDS theory (yes it is still just a theory) and the awful side effects of the HIV/AIDS drugs, I don't think I'd take any of the medications until I had no choice, i.e. was definitely ****ed.

Sorry to go off topic.

ok last annoying Q im asking dublindude. just the times of opening for thursday nd friday im the GUI....

Not annoying! I'm happy to help :)

Actually, it's Thursday afternoon and Friday morning rather than the other way round (not sure if I made that mistake.)

Thursday you gotta be there about 11.30 if you want a chance of being seen (there will be a queue!) Starts at 1 I believe.

Friday get there at about 8.30. Starts at 10 I believe.

Seriously, don't bother going if you can't get there an hour or two before they open. You'll either be too late or you'll be waiting hours to be seen.

Cool, thanks for answering my Q's. Goin to head next thursday early.

I did a test last week for HIV for a medical as part of the process of getting a visa to live and work legally in the states.Do you know will that affect my insurance in the future or when i have to fill out forms in buying a house etc.

• Advertisement

galwaydude wrote:
    I did a test last week for HIV for a medical as part of the process of getting a visa to live and work legally in the states.Do you know will that affect my insurance in the future or when i have to fill out forms in buying a house etc.

My opinion would really only be a guess I'm afraid.

I would imagine if you ever had to answer that question, and wrote -

"I did a test for the process of getting a visa to live and work in the US. The test result was negative"

- you'd be fine!

It would certainly be very strange if they held it against you, considering we're moving towards a time when it's nearly abnormal not to get tested at some stage!

cheers dublindude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I got a HIV test as part of a work medical. It was optional so I said okay. After taking five vials of blood off of me they may as well, I thought. They just posted all the results out to me and amongst the 50 or so results was "HIV-".

It was a European employer. I wonder if I'd been HIV+ would they still just have posted out the results to me? As a straight, non-drug user who always has safe-sex I wasn't exactly worried or anything, but still...that would've been some bloody shock.

dublindude wrote:

If the girl happens to start having her period as your in the middle of intercourse and your penis gets in contact with her blood, i take it that would drop it to like 1 in 2 chance of picking it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

would the moderators check on dublindude, as i'm sure talking about the long term effects of AIDS without backing it up with any real evidence, other than anecdotal might be a dangerous thing for people reading this forum?

As has been said before, it's not a medical forum, and people shouldn't be giving medical advice, esp. something like telling HIV+ people not to take their prescription drugs.

astrofool wrote:
    would the moderators check on dublindude, as i'm sure talking about the long term effects of AIDS without backing it up with any real evidence, other than anecdotal might be a dangerous thing for people reading this forum?

Well, I saw first hand what the drugs do (eg killed my uncle.)

I seriously doubt someone is going to infect themselves with HIV based on what I said above. I just question the HIV/AIDS thinking. IMO it's a flawed theory.

Obviously I am not suggesting people start having unsafe sex/share needles/ignore their doctor.

We're kind of going OT here: maybe take it to humanities??

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote:
    We're kind of going OT here: maybe take it to humanities??
    Please do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

dublindude wrote:
    They don't actually accept appointments anymore.

You don't need to being any medical records etc.

They're only open Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. Get there early!!! Seriously, you'll be amazed by how many people are getting tested...

Would you mind me asking how your uncle contracted the virus?

cud someone answer my question please?

Crious wrote:
    cud someone answer my question please?
    Yes that would have a much higher risk, although I'm not sure if periods had that suddenly (ladies?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

dublindude wrote:
    There's a lot of HIV+ people who'd disagree!

I don't want to sound callous but I assure you, as bad as the meds make them feel, they'll feel a hell of a lot worse when they develop full blown AIDS.

EDIT: And im very sorry for your uncle, but clearly something unusual happened. If that was the normal occurence then such drugs would not be in use.

• Advertisement

Folks, I can't see this thread lasting much longer.
    joejoem wrote:
    Would you mind me asking how your uncle contracted the virus?
    None of your business.

Just Making sure that it is defo free and they do all three tests! blood, urine and swab! And they give you the results and dont just ring you if you have an STI!

Sarah** wrote:
    Just Making sure that it is defo free and they do all three tests! blood, urine and swab! And they give you the results and dont just ring you if you have an STI!

Is this a question or statement??

Question....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

yes its true , the drugs they give aids and HIV patients make them feel sicker so, many of them come of the drugs and get other diseases such as flu etc that make them fell like sh*t its a catch 22 situation

Sarah** wrote:

Free.
    Blood, urine, swab.
    They only ring you if there's a problem.

The service used to be much better, but it's now a joke.

I would recommend going on a Thursday rather than the Friday. Although the Thursday opens at 13.00, arrive at 7.30 otherwise you won't be seen...

Advertisement